Notices

Best things for opiate withdrawal? Please help

Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best things for opiate withdrawal? Please help

I am stuck with this horrible habit and am trying to figure a way out. Every time I try it seems like I'm ready for it but then some new feelings start emerging or some new twist that makes it so hard. The restless legs are really bad and even worse is the constant sense of anxiety and low/depressed mood all the time. Does anyone have ideas of things to try or anything that helps. I want to stay away from Suboxone as I only hear success stories from people who are still on it and it seems like many horror stories for those that tried to quit suboxone itself. I just need help, has anyone here gone through it and been done for awhile and feel completely normal again?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Evilblueberry))) - welcome to SR!

My DOC (drug of choice) was crack, and though I abused the heck out of opiates before that, I never went through withdrawal, so I can't give personal experience.

I do know, though, that there are a lot of threads about this, here, you just may have to look through the forum.

I'd highly recommend seeing a doctor and being honest about what/how much you are taking. My dr. knows ALL about my history (first alcohol abuse, then opiate abuse, then crack TOTAL addiction) and he's my best ally. Don't know what opiates are your "thing" but most of the pills have tylenol in them, and it's hard on the liver.

I have learned a few things from the great people here: Drink lots of fluids, especially something like Gatorade/Powerade..something with electrolytes; Immodium for diarrhea; hot baths for the restless legs. I've read that it's like having a bad case of the flu, for about a week, though some symptoms last longer.

I'm sure others will be along soon, but this is a great place to find support, ask questions, etc. I've been clean almost 4 years, and it's in great part thanks to the people here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The very best thing for me for my opiate withdrawals and the early overload of feelings and emotions I hadn't felt for a long time was being around others who were going through the same thing and AA/NA meetings.

I did an 8 week full-time day treatment program followed by 12 weeks of intensive outpatient treatment 3 times a week. In between and on days that I didn't have to be at the treatment center, I would go to meetings - sometimes 2-3 times a day - every time I felt anxious or as if I were going to crawl out of my skin. I was lucky. This time around I didn't have the horrible restless legs like I did the multiple, MULTIPLE times I tried quitting on my own in the past and my psychiatrist perscribe clonidine for sleep for a couple of weeks. I did have every other wd symptom.

I so recommend treatment for those who can, but I understand that not everyone can. Meetings, meetings, meetings. It helped me so very much....I can't even explain how much. I still do aftercare at my treatment center one evening a week and still attend either an NA or AA meeting every day.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What opiate? Hydro? Oxy? Heroin?

I'm Day 11 sober from heavy Oxy use - snorting/eating 2-300 mg a day.

30 to 50 mg Hydro withdrawl is likely less severe than a Oxy or Heroin habit..

LOOK FOR THIS THREAD: I'm going cold-turkey from Oxycodone

YOU WILL NEED A PERSONAL CONVICTION LIKE NO OTHER - ITS EVIL STUFF...

That said... you are here - you recognize the issue - BIG STEPS right there...

The rest is easier - flush the pills and look forward to a week-long hardcore flu and squirrely head for a month or more.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION BASED ON MY PERSONAL JOURNEY THROUGH W/D... You might want to consider professional medical assistance...

At the end of the day, its a choice - continue opiate abuse and die or experience life in living color, opiate-free.

Your probably at the point where you don't get high, just maintain your intake to keep from getting sick.

Let me tell you - that's a dangerous crossroad... I was on Oxy/Perc/Vic for four years and the last six months crushed me - it was eat pills and die or quit.

I chose LIFE.

You feel like your living in Low Def... like everything has jelly around it... like swimming in a pool filled with pudding.

Opiates suck - in 10 days my life has improved five-fold.

STAY STRONG - SMILE - TELL SOMEONE YOU LOVE THEM

Peace!

sBh

Last edited by SickButHappy; 01-31-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Ticket out of Oxyville...
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This site really helped me with the low mood and anxiety. I have been on the roller coaster ride (off and on) for many years, but can tell this time is different and SR is the primary difference. I read old posts back to 2007 during my first two weeks of w/d and cannot tell you how much that helped me. I had luck with tapering, though, which from I read not many people are successful with. My source was a one and only, now shut off from me, so I could get no more and planned ahead to quit by tapering. That really helped this time with the physical symptoms. I still had some restless legs (and took the hot baths and wore tight thermal underwear and two pair of tight knee socks to bed), some GI issues and took Immodium AD a few nights, just lived with the sneezing which is still ongoing off and on 37 days later. Tried to eat healthy and take walks when possible. Good luck and keep coming here for support - it really worked for me!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel you so much right now. I'm 35 days clean from heroin/oxy/and everything else under the sun. I was in treatment for 28 days and go to my aftercare twice a week and do meetings every day on top of that, and I still feel like I need more most of the time. Big help for me is support group from my fellowship of NA. Justr getting out and doing something productive even if its walking around the park with someone. Which is what I just got back from doing and now Im making dinner and going to a meeting later.

Its tough, but I want it so I know what I have to do. Stay away from old playmates, places and playthings.... and meetings.