Notices

Looking for a Sponsor.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for a Sponsor.

Hey everyone,

My name is Jeff. I am an addict. My drug of choice was primarily marijuana(daily) but I used opiates too. I am currently in IOP and attending like 2 meetings a week. I work fulltime as well as have 2 part time jobs so my schedule is busy. I feel I was making progress already but I need a sponsor to help keep me focused on my recovery and 12 steps. Even if its a temp sponsor till I find someone to be full. Anybody willing to help? (I am in NJ but can call anywhere.)

-Jeff
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jeff! Many years ago, in my area, old-timers would latch onto newbies and tell you they were going to sponsor you....they didn't give you much choice. Now, things are more laid-back.

IMO, finding a good sponsor is one of the most important decisions you'll make, so it deserves time and attention. Some meetings have a chalk board where you can leave your name, letting everyone know you are looking. Another thing is to simply let it be known (orally) that you are looking.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by hollen View Post
Hey everyone,

My name is Jeff. I am an addict. My drug of choice was primarily marijuana(daily) but I used opiates too. I am currently in IOP and attending like 2 meetings a week. I work fulltime as well as have 2 part time jobs so my schedule is busy. I feel I was making progress already but I need a sponsor to help keep me focused on my recovery and 12 steps. Even if its a temp sponsor till I find someone to be full. Anybody willing to help? (I am in NJ but can call anywhere.)

-Jeff
Hey Jeff, If I can be of any help, I will try to help in any way I can. Have struggled with addiction for many years, with opiates being my "drug of choice". You can reach out to me via thread or PM me.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses! Still no sponsor for me. Maybe tonight at a meeting ill get one
Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes it takes raising your hand at your turn to speak at a meeting, and saying "I NEED A SPONSOR!"
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

keep going to meetings....you will find a sponsor. Have you visited the 12 step forums here?

Lots of people all over this site to connect with.

Welcome!