Notices

Life in general

Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life in general

I have major depression/anxiety/alcoholism issues. Right now I'm taking 60mg. cymbalta and 1mg. loraezpram 3 times daily and regretfully only have 2 days sober. I've been teaching myself how to play the guitar because I've always loved that instrument but other things got in the way as far as learning it.
It's great to have something constructive to do but sometimes I feel too tired to practice as much as I know I should.
Along with all my other issues I also have degenerative disc disease which is a fancy way of saying bad back. I've got an on going disability case with social security that is dragging on and on. I feel like if I could get that out of the way working on myself would be so much easier but I can't help but think about it every day and tell myself nothing works out for me so why should this be any different.
I don't know somedays it seems like my meds aren't doing any good at all with all this stress I'm putting on myself.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what you've been doing, but I recommend you get yourself some support for the alcoholism NV - this is a hard road to travel alone....whether it's posting here more, seeing a counsellor or looking into a recovery group like AA or SMART or whatever...the more support we have the better, I reckon

I'd definitely see your Dr if you're not sure whether the meds are working for you or not - of course they're probably not as effective if you've been drinking. That's pretty much a given, man.

and don't sweat the guitar - do it cos you love it - don't make it a chore...you'll get there

D
Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The medications for depression simply don't mix with alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant and pretty much makes the meds not work.
It would take longer than a couple of days for your system to right itself, but I think it would be very much worth it in how you feel on a daily basis.
Depression is treatable!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I too have degenerative disk. Severely. I picked up the bass guitar finally after many years of wanting to learn. There was always something in the way of me learning. Now I have all the time in the world. There are times where I too just get to tired to practice. I noticed that in the past one of those things in the way of me learning was not taking the time to practice. So now I take it to whichever room I'm in so its totally convenient and and find myself picking up and playing every time I get the thought.