Notices

When do you cross the line into paranoia?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do you cross the line into paranoia?

Since I was little i've always been slightly on the paranoid side. I'm constantly thinking someone is lying to me or screwing me over or pranking me. I never really thought anything of it until i was talking to a friend of mine and i told her when i was little i was scared to take showers naked (so i would wear a bathing suit) because i was scared someone was watching. I always assumed it was just a little thing and everyone always has that voice in the back of there mind (just a metaphore i don't really hear a voice) saying somethings not right, this person is lying. So, pretty much what i'm trying to ask is when do you cross the line from that little bit of doubt you might feel to actual paranoia?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting question, Alexis. For some people, harbouring some degree of paranoia falls within the mean average of the population - it's one of those things nobody talks about. There's no clear cut "line" to be crossed, it's usually more of a statistics thing.

If this tendency is disrupting your every day life, you should definitely consider getting screened by a psychiatrist to determine what can be done about these traits. Depending on a proper evaluation, there should be many options available for you to address this issue.

Keep us posted
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks it has yet to interfere with my everyday life, I was just curious for the most part. Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Want to form an alliance? :.)

Originally Posted by Alexis0000 View Post
So, pretty much what i'm trying to ask is when do you cross the line from that little bit of doubt you might feel to actual paranoia?
Paranoia seems to be something "characterized by suspiciousness, persecutory trends, or megalomania" (Merriam-Webster).

Consider asking yourself this question: "Can I justify my paranoia?"

The act of re-framing an idea based from someone's paranoid interpretation can only occur if you can introspectively acknowledge observable rational facts constituting your supposed paranoia. In other words, if you can rationally justify being paranoid about something, then it's not paranoia, but instead, defensive caution.

If, however, you find yourself in a room with no windows, doors, cracks, etc., and you still find yourself suspicious of someone watching you, then there better be some hidden camera behind a painted lens because otherwise, this would be a form of paranoid schizophrenia. I'm sure there could be other diagnoses as well if you had an actual mental health professional reading this, but all-and-all, I doubt this fits your M.O., especially if this behavior you find yourself concerned with has yet to affect your everyday lifestyle.

Rest easy, my friend. :.)
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I feel UR pain

When I was a. Child I would get dressed in
My closet bcuz I thought I could feel someone watching me. I question everything but I've lived a really hard life I belive everyone is out to get me and wonder why so called friends fn lie.
I wish u luck on figuring it out
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I can really relate. I have been like this since I was a kid and amphetamine use obviously only exacerbated it.

I always am suspicious of people's motives and think this that and the other. I do wonder if that's just because of my hardcore using days and my own dodgy motives that ruled everything. I don't know.

It's an awful feeling, but I'm not sure where it crosses the line.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with what has already been said well about finding the difinitive line. I know for myself that if I do cross over....I have tools and skills to change my thinking back and calm down.

Happy 2013 Everyone!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have definately had paranoia, or unwarranted fear (as I usually refer to it). I believe that such fear is emotionally damaging and can lead to instability. To combat this problem, I learned how to "observe" the things that I react to with emotions of fear. Then I learned how to stop emotional responses (especially fear) that are damaging to my life. That is a long story...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think we all had strange fears when we were little trying to understand a strange world. I cried for days one Christmas because I KNEW Santa was going to get trapped in the chimney and die because we had a chair in front of the fireplace. As we get older we learn to differenciate between real and imagined dangers. Just my view of my personal journey and choices here. When I would drink to combat fears I could no longer tell the difference. Drunk I feared nothing, sober I feared everything. When I got sober I trusted nobody, thought they were all lying and nothing mattered. Then I trusted and loved everybody and learned some alchoholics and non-alchoholics lie - who would have thought? I am just now learning to trust, but only to the point I can handle any hurt that may come from it. 'Hope for the best but plan for the worst.' If you are into music listen to 'The battle of someone' by Blues Traveler. Listen to the lyrics even if you don't care for the song. It nails me on the head, and may put some of your feelings into perspective.