Notices

Thoughts of using keep entering my head.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts of using keep entering my head.

I have 3.5 months clean, and have not really had cravings at all this whole time, but for some reason the thought keeps entering my mind. I don't want to use, and I don't entertain the thoughts, they just keep coming! I am going to a meeting tonight, open to any other suggestions.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many of us tend to think recovery is linear - the farther we get away from our starting point the more 'recovered' we should be.

Thats not always been my experience - I've had down days, and days when I thought of drinking (my DOC)...the difference is now, I think, like you say, there's no imperative behind the thoughts, and we have the tools to deal with them

I'm really glad to see your progress OWW.
D
Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi onewithwings .... i'm a month behind you... And also have just suffered my first bout of craving my doc...heroin shortly followed by pretty much anything else... I just know i won't and can't give up any of the cleantime i have as to do anything like score would be tantamount to ..well..i'd rather not contemplate it lol... Today i also went through phoning everyone just at the time they were out..or at work or wiv kids and couldn't talk.. So i come back here just as you have and i think that answers your question in part... The best we can do is to talk and do what we know to be the safe option... Bless ya cos i'm right there with all you said.. Well done on 3 and a half months.. Thats no mean feat xxx karma
Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't get cravings much anymore; I'm actually amazed I dont.

I can tell you something I learned in 28day rehab.

When you get a craving; close your eyes and picture a big red stop sign. It works for some people...

Good Luck and hang in there..
Old 01-15-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The cravings WILL pass, and they won't hurt you....as long as you don't give in to them!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I wouldn't really call it a craving-- I didn't WANT to get high at all, but I just kept getting mental images and stuff, like the thoughts just kept jumping into my head after I'd pushed another one out.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Every time you have a using thought, and deal with it, you build that muscle that resists and allows it to pass. You are exercising your recovery, it's a good thing.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey OWW i should clarify like you... I also don't want anything to do with it ever ..also understand how it sometimes feels like we don't have a choice in the thought process but look how long you were conditioned to think like that....it taker time but as muc
h as we trained one way we can re train another...thankfully..its never too late.. Xx karma..on her phone so apology if not well written..
Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelissaNoDrugs View Post
Every time you have a using thought, and deal with it, you build that muscle that resists and allows it to pass. You are exercising your recovery, it's a good thing.
I liked that a lot Melissa. I imagine the same holds true if we relapse a lot...do you think?

I used to relapse a lot - I almost felt it was expected of me (strange I know) - so getting any time put together was difficult.

I am going to remember what you said - it gives me hope.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Originally Posted by nacona View Post
I liked that a lot Melissa. I imagine the same holds true if we relapse a lot...do you think?
Yes, if you have no muscle you can't lift anything. I actually think we arrive at the same place each time we feel temptation. Like a chess game, here we are again facing the same position. So we have to come up with a new move, a new plan. That takes thought and strength.

If we play the same move that lost the last game, then we lose this game too. I'm so full of metaphors today.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelissaNoDrugs View Post
Yes, if you have no muscle you can't lift anything. I actually think we arrive at the same place each time we feel temptation. Like a chess game, here we are again facing the same position. So we have to come up with a new move, a new plan. That takes thought and strength.

If we play the same move that lost the last game, then we lose this game too. I'm so full of metaphors today.
Your metaphors are just what I need today. Thank you