Notices

Too Far Removed?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too Far Removed?

No friends, no partner, minimal family contact.

Has anyone isolated themselves for so long that they never thought they could make it back into society?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I did. When I was using, I cut everyone out of my life that wasn't using/selling.

Through recovery, I've regained a relationship with my family, and though I have work acquaintances that I consider friends, truth be told, my bestest friends are people I've met on here. I guess work, at least, forces me to get out there with people (I'm actually a people person), but it's on a superficial level.

I do understand, but the more I'm in recovery, the more I'm at least open, to making new friends f2f. I just got a bit jaded, a little mistrustful of people, back when I was using and it takes time to want to open your heart again.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

EntreNous, (fabulous name by the way).

I think it would depend on you. It sounds as if (and yes it is only two sentences) you are feeling withdrawn and lonely.

I drank for twenty years and I have a major depressive disorder.

For me, the only thing I was able to do was use the internet and meet people with my interests. I was lucky to have come across this board.

Have you talked to a doctor about your isolation?
maybe some counseling or meetings will help.

Effexor (venlafaxine) gave me a better life.
not medical advice. i just didnt know how well it could work until i change.

between us,

Beth

Last edited by wicked; 01-11-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fixed my smiley.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"SMART" Recoveree

Well I begin to feel that way sometimes with sobriety. I guess in the past I used to use in order to feel comfortable around people, even my good friends I guess. Unfortunately most of the good friends I've had for years either drink and use to the point where it's a problem or they use socially so at this point I can't hang out with them. Well, I could - but it'd be a bad idea. It's been three months but I don't really trust myself to have control over cravings when it's right in front of me.

Anyways, I started taking Gabapentin again because it takes away some of the anxiety of meeting new people, sober peers, etc. I'm not sure if that is a problem for you or if it's other things - it could be something that you don't even realize.

I think wicked is right on with talking to a Doc or counselor about the issues. But I think this should be done before trying to jump into a group or meeting setting because it might be too much.

One thing I'm pretty darn sure of is I think you will lead a much better life after addressing what might be holding you back. It may be really hard, but worth it.

I met a guy the other day that just past the 5 year mark, and everyone has their little sobriety catchphrase - Living sober is "BETTER, NOT EASIER"
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Why go back to society? It's more interesting on the fringe.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelissaNoDrugs View Post
Why go back to society? It's more interesting on the fringe.
LOL, yes, sometimes it is.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not that I'm in a dark place or mood. I am blessed to have some financial security and I have severe degenerative disk disease so staying home is part of my problem. Too much time on my hands. As the years went by my dosage got higher and higher and the drugs got better and better. Access wasn't an issue for me. I've been high a very long time consumed by the world I've created in my own mind along with my music. I've unintentionally isolated myself over the years and recently have been engaging in conversation with people only to find my world is far removed from theirs.