Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

No Matter How Much People, Places and Things Change, Addiction Stays the Same

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is a 20 minute documentary from a CBC show called Close-Up. It was broadcast on May 13, 1959. The show looks at drug addiction in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

Dealing with Drug Addiction

Amazing that no matter how much people, places and things change, addiction stays the same.

BTW, the doctor Robert Halliday in this piece is one of the first to perscribe methadone as a treatment.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction starts with fluffy unicorns..just kidding about your icon.

Sometimes I think I just need to move to the middle of nowhere to get away from temptation.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My icon....Agnes is the epitome of my 32 year old daughter at the same age (even looks like her!)...."does this count as annoying?" Hahahaha.

Didn't mean the video to be a trigger. Or was it the fluffy unicorn?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was watching the History Channel today and the history of drug use. They showed how Cocaine was used and prescribe for just about anything. It was the very first engridient in Coca Cola. They called it the "cheap man's high" since you could sit in a cafe and order Coca Cola over the counter just for a few cents. Then when after a few years they realized how addictive it was after people kept taking it and becoming hooked and sick, they came out with Heroin as a cure all sold for a dollar or two. Then when after a few years that became a social problem is became unlawful to buy.

Alcohol was introduced to Native American Indians and practically killed them off with it.

History is full of "substances" found by man to alter their state of mind for whatever reason. It's been around forever.

Now it's all "out of control" and so is mankind.

We all have to take charge of our lives and information we gather about stuff we take, foods we eat, etc....Nowhere is it going to get better until people start taking responsibility for themselves.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have that same history channel show along with the one on marijuana from the same channel on my dvr. Watched them both. Good stuff. There's another documentary out there also about herion/opiods used as a medicinal and how it could be purchased out of a Sears catalog (!) that I've seen a couple of times. Good stuff.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glitter, no trigger. Thought the unicorn icon was very cute.