Notices

Psychiatrist malpractice??? Anyone

Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psychiatrist malpractice??? Anyone

Chatty today:

My "former" psychiatrist drug pusher had me on xanax 1.5 daily for 10 years for panic attacks and anxiety. This fall, during a med check I told her that I had been taking up to 3mg a day, and didn't think it was enough. She immediatly wrote a script for 6mg a day. I used 6 a day, but was taking probably 8-10, getting refills at 23 days, finally ran out and had to schedule an emergency appointment to get refilled script. At appointment, I divulged that I was abusing pills, etc. I did not tell her I was drinking also, but she never asked. She updated script and I went on my merry way.

As you my know, I got a DUI on Jan 6, my first, a mixture of xanax and vodka, blew .147. I'm in big trouble with law, my profession as a teacher, etc, you know the story. I MAY LOSE EVERYTHING.

I'm not a blame guy, I've never sued anyone, but is this not a case of Medical Malpractice? I mean a 10 minute med check and send me on my way. How can she knowingly bump my meds from 1.5 to 6??? How can she script again when she knows I'm abusing it?

I do take personal responsibility, but in our disease, plus the abuse of xanax I just didn't make decisions at all. I became a sociopath. I will lose it all because of my psychiatrists "diagnosis"

Advice.??? Experience??? Referrals???

K
Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your answer is within your words you posted. Blaming a doctor isn't uncommon, but does nothing to help the underlying problem. Your first step will be making a decision to take responsibility for your problem and becoming willing to change. No one crammed those pills down your throat, but you!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you're looking in the wrong direction.
This is a recovery forum, not a legal advice forum.

Sorry to be blunt, but if we steer too far off course here, we end up with a mish mash of who the hell knows what.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember years ago this one psychiatrist had me on Lorazepam for extreme anxiety. I got to the point of 4 pills per day prescribed but of course I ran out days before I could get a refill so I asked him for more.

He said he refused to go past 4 a day. I don't remember what the reason he gave me was, nor did I care all I knew was that I had to deal with the amount he was willing to give.

Then I got dropped from health insurance and couldn't afford the full price of $120 per month for the pills so I stopped cold turkey.

I remember being very nervous/agitated/all kinds of things but I had to stop and eventually I forgot about it.

That was well over 10 yrs ago. I"ve been through other addictions since then for different reasons.

Somehow though, I always knew that it had to be me to determine how much I was going to take/drink and if and when I was going to stop.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My view and my expereince.

My dr.s have mis-prescribed..as in they probably did something that added to the problem.

But none of the drs I have had earned any money from me paying for scripts.

10 minite med checks are standard. A psych could spend hours with me and they are still just gonna be able to make an educated guess as to what might work.

The best Drs. I have had...relyed on my honest self reporting about what was going on in reaction to meds, and how much I took.

There are good drs and not so good drs..maybe even bad. But the worst thing any dr. I had was "guilty" of...was being too busy or too distant to catch my problem.

My regular physician..who will not perscribe my psych meds as it is beyond his area of expertice at the point.... missed huge things in my 8 year binge cause I wasn't honest. He is the best dr. anyone could have. He knows a phsyciatrist, even at only a 15 minite appointment will know more about how the pshysc meds work and what to do.

My psychiatrist has made errors in perscriptions, as in they were not a good choice. But he does know about the meds that can be tried and he does the best he can with a caring heart.

Given the complexity of medication and personal chemistry..I'm just not convienced that blaming the dr. is very reasonable.

My expereince is that many people will tell you this drug or that drug shouldn't be perscribed at whatever dose or at all....but I have seen people recover because they are on those very same drugs and seen people die from addiction because they took the word of an addict alchoholic on a medical issue and ended up suicidle or self medicating.

It's ok to look at, and it isn't "our fault" that meds get fcked up...But for me the answer doesn't lie in blame..it lies in working with my dr. as a team...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You knowingly abused those meds, and did not tell her you were drinking. I don't think you would win a lawsuit. You are in the same boat many of us got ourselves into, we did the crime in our insanity and now we are having to pay the piper. I lost my job and my career as a nurse. After being sanctioned by the board of nursing I lost my nursing license, I went to rehab and that's a good way to keep yourself out of more trouble and jail is go to rehab and I had to prove I was clean for 2 years before they agreed to return my license. I'm still dealing with consequences but they are all of my own making. I can't go after that doctor that gave me all these meds to begin with because I was not honest up front on my abuse and I did have about 7 surgeries that needed prescriptions, he tried to help me, I was the one that took it to the next level. I pray you can find some recovery for this, it is possible. It's a very painful journey.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would say that you have to take some responsibility for this situation. However, I would put some of the blame on that doctor as well. 6mg a day of Xanax is an extremely high amount and believe that the doctor should have known better.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krug View Post
I'm not a blame guy, I've never sued anyone, but is this not a case of Medical Malpractice?

No it is not and you would be hard-pressed to find any attorney who would take your case. Contrary to popular belief, getting a medmal case to court is NOT easy in even the MOST obvious cases. I say that from personal experience with a 4 year long medmal/wrongful death lawsuit my family was involved with and won by settlement.

I blamed so many things in my life for my use. It wasn't until I accepted that I and I alone was responsible for my use and that my actions had made my life completely screwed up did I begin to recover.

Dig deep. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krug View Post

As you my know, I got a DUI on Jan 6, my first, a mixture of xanax and vodka, blew .147. I'm in big trouble with law, my profession as a teacher, etc, you know the story. I MAY LOSE EVERYTHING.
My advice would be to stop blaming your shrink, and start working on your recovery.

When you got the prescription for the Xanax, you got a sheet with all of the medical warnings, these warning were also on the prescription bottle.

Do not consume alcohol while taking this drug.....

Xanax and Alcohol

Just my advice, what you do would be your choice.

You didn't lose everything, have been told of any number of teenagers that lost everything while experimenting with Xanax and alcohol, count yourself among the 'lucky'.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The only one to blame is the person you see in the mirror. Just sayin...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Perhaps you should bring suit against General Motors and the road department too? While you're at it throw in Pfizer and Samuel Adams.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I won't be nice but will have compassion.

You are an addict.
You have not taken any responsiblity for it.
You already have lost everything, your just not aware of it yet.

Go to na.org and start from the beginning. YOU WILL discover a lot you don't want to and if you really want freedom you will get it and it won't be easy. Xanax is a bitch. It put me in the hospital during withdrawal because I was having siezures coming off it. That was many years ago and I moved on to better drugs since that have ruined my life just the same.
Take full responsiblity for yourself. You used the MD for your gain, that's the bottom line.
I struggle every ******* day and probably will for quite a while.
It is evident in your own writing you are looking for a way out, blaming others is not it.
Are you still using? You should be in withdrawal by now but your post doesn't jive with that.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for advice, yes I'm looking to blame someone, anyone. Desperate I guess. From what I gather suing the Dr. is a mute point.

I did see my family GP yesterday, and he is starting a tapering program with me, .5 every 2-3 weeks, to get me down. I have also enrolled in counseling and attend NA/AA.

I'd never be able to kick these cold turkey, or alone. Heck, I'm having trouble typing this right now just cause I'm used to drinking and abusing the xanax.

I've done it before. We all have???. It won't be fun, I know. But I want to be sober. I need to be sober.

K
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when going through withdrawl most addicts are all over the board...so it's no big deal..you got upset and posted your frustration (hug)

I think admitting we have these thoughts is good. Trying to be the right kind of recovering addict will kill you.

Like i said...this path has nothing to do with blame...of ourselves or others. Sure we take responsibility for our actions, but thats real different from lying about how we feel or being unquestioning or not expressing where we are at the moemnt. I've learned I'm not so powerful. Others do impact my life. no blame, just honest evaluation and change what I can...my actions. (not my emotions or beliefs really, not for me..but my actions)

Your doing fine.

People tend to react to what we say based on how it makes them/us feel, what it reflects in us.

Your taking steps. You've decided to give this your best shot. Will you get every answer "perfect" and be a "good little recvoering person" Probably not. but if you are on the road you are on it. keep your eye on the prize of CONTENTED sobriety. Be true to yourself. Work through the dificult peices. Develop a core group of people who support you as you work your way through it.

This deal is doable.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not an addict, but when I use something (prescription, illegal drug, alcohol), I use it to excess, I don't use alone, and it's only in a partying type of atmosphere (which I have pretty much given up). So, I am more of an abuser than an addict.

I have Klonopin and get 90 1mg pills a month. When I will take them, I'll take 5 or 10 at a time, and let me tell you, I do things when I am under the influence of Klonopin that I would never ordinarily do (slash my daughter's tires during an argument; write emails to my ex that I shouldn't be, etc.), and then I either don't remember doing whatever I did at all, or I only have vague, shadowy recollections over time. I abuse my Klonopin and I am stopping using it altogether.

I agree that there's something wrong with the mental health community when a 10-15 minute visit with a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse allows them to assess what medications and in what does one should be on. I purposely signed releases for my psychiatrist and my psychologist should they ever need to collaborate on my care. I want myself to be honest with them, and I want them to know all they need to know so I can actually recover from my emotional and mental issues.

I see my psychiatrist this week and I am going to tell her not to prescribe Klonopin or any other benzo anymore. I've also made the decision to quit drinking altogether.

Ultimately, the final decisions rest with you and only you.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((Krug))) - I'm glad you saw your dr. and are working a safer taper plan.

I agree that the dose your psychiatrist had you on was really high. However, I know that, back in the day, I had a dr. I could manipulate and get what I wanted (that was my A voice). We've had several dr's, here in GA, getting arrested over the past couple of years for running "pill mills". Sadly, it wasn't any of their patients complaining, but the law did step in.

I also think, that in early recovery, especially when we're facing some harsh consequences, we want to blame someone. We're angry at the position we've put ourself in and we want to lash out at SOMEONE, or at least I did. At the same time I was beating myself over the head.

It took time in recovery to work all this out. I did what I did, and I'm doing my best to make amends. Even if, somedays, it seems like the best thing I can say is "thank God, I'm clean"....that's a pretty good thing, from where I was 4 years ago

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The same thing happened to me with Adderall.

I think The best place for you to be right now is either detox or rehab. It will show the people you are in trouble with; that you are taking steps to get better and that you are taking responsibilty for your actions.

I hope you get the help you need....
Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I didn't read your other post that said your already getting help.. Thats great; good luck.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I would say that you have to take some responsibility for this situation. However, I would put some of the blame on that doctor as well. 6mg a day of Xanax is an extremely high amount and believe that the doctor should have known better.
was on more than twice that amount and it was still pointless trying to sue.
Doctors have a very wide scope of disgresssion.

Pharmecutical companies have a lot of power with congress and law makers and that makes it even harder to sue.

Personally, I have found that the only way to protect myself from sloppy prescriptions, is to take into consideration the medication a doctor wants to put me on and think about it for a few days.

Reasearch and ask questions, get a second opinion.

I'm not talking about antibiotics or antihistamines or stuff like that, but drugs that are addictive. pain pills or benzos etc..

if my gut tells me "dont go there" and my doctor doesnt like my decision then they can pi$$ off.

I've had too many doctors who are pharmaceutically brainwashed to trust just any physician.

in the end, it's my body and my decision.

Sadly I usually will grab on too anything addictive drug I can get my paws on, for any reason.

But when I am in recovery (like now) I am the boss, period!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good post Dreamscape. Yes, I was the careless one. I've had a few minor surgeries, and if they prescribed pain killers, it was like "hell yes". Same with the benzos in a way, I just didn't care, till now.