Notices

cold turkey 6mg xanax

Old 01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cold turkey 6mg xanax

10 years, with a bit of drinking as well. Xanax is a crutch and has made me a zombie, but it's so easy to just take a pill.

Got a DUI, 3mg and pint of vodka in one hour. Blew .153. Jan 7th. Wife hates me, and although I claim responsiblility, Alc is a disease.

Back to xanax. I'm tapering, .25 mg every 4 hours, and 1mg at night to sleep. I'd like to be completely off in a month.

Possible, help me.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Have a look at the substance abuse forum. Lots of support and good information there. Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere!

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you talk to your doctor about the xanax use? If not then you should. Good thing you know your trying to stop using all total.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks..re-posted in substance abuse.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged the threads.

Most people here will tell you how difficult it is to come off a benzo.
I think the smart money is on seeing a Doctor, Krug.

D
Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have never heard of anyone weaning that fast!

(IMHO) you are setting yourself up for a seizure.

My doctor at the time didnt know how to wean and tried 4-6mg per month. I was never so sick.
Then i was sent to a doctor who had many years of experience with benzo withdrawal and weaned me at .25 per month.

You are weaning at a rate of 1mg per day!

For heavens sake, get someone to drive you to your physician and be completely honest with them about the booze and benzos and any other drug, as well as what you are doing.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Krug))) - welcome to SR!!

Though I realize you want to get off the xanax, quickly, I have to agree that I think you really need to be working with a dr. on this. FWIW, I was a nurse before addiction ruined that. Coming off any benzo, too fast, as ((Dreamscape)) said, is an extremely high risk of seizures.

A seizure is a big deal, and you would have very little, if any, notice of it coming on...you could be driving down the road.

This is a great place for support in recovery. I just want you to be healthy, while coming off the xanax.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-08-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with benzos Krug, but I trust Impurrfect and dreamscape know their stuff.

Please listen to what they have to say. Get some professional medical advice.

D
Old 01-08-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to be prescribed 6mg/day.

Your taper isn't doable.
This really does have to be medically supervised.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Krug, W/D is painful, sad, and scary.

I went to detox for 5 days to get off of xanax. Once I asked for help all of the pain, scary, and sad was gone. I wasn't uncomfortable in detox ONE TIME.

Be calm and be strong. It will get better.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please stop your current rate of cuts, you risk having a seizure. I've done it myself. I will sendd you more info when i get home. Too hard typing on a phone.

COld turkey from that amount is very dangerous.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for info so far. I made it from 6Am to 10Pm taking only 1mg, cut in fourths, but at night it was hell. Took 1mg, then another half, then another half, and still only slept about 4 hours.

Today I'll start with 1/2 at about 9, and take 1mg every 5 hours and see if that helps.

I am going to call Dr. tomorrow for help, but my relationship with my (drug pusher) psychiatrist is over.

I've been on 1.5 mg xanax a day for 10 years but this fall I had a terrible stressful time, she bumped me to 6mg a day. Mixed with drinking, a became a zombie loser. Now with a DUI hanging over me, my wife hates me, my job is in jeapardy, wow.

Thanks for support. KIT
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Krug))) - I'm glad you're not going with the fast taper, any more, and are going to see your dr. My dr. is totally aware of my addiction history and he's my best ally.

I agree with cutting your other dr. off, but if you still need psychiatric help, I'd find another dr. that respects what you've been through and works WITH you, not just bumping up the meds.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess for me, sobriety is complete, not just weening off the benzo's. I don't drink, smoke, etc, (or at least since 3 days ago). Can one be considered "sober" if they continue to take the substance that got them in so much trouble. Like alcohol, you either drink or you don't, I wish the same could be said for the xanax.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 4 of recovery. No drinking, but the xanax is still a necessity. Took .5mg at 9am, another 1mg at noon, another 1mg at 4, another 1mg at 8, another 1mg at midnight, and another 1mg at 4:am. So I guess that's 5.5mg, (sorry Impurrfect, I miscounted) not much of a taper, I still feel terrible. Can't sleep without it.

DUI lawyer yesterday. Don't look good. Thus the need to dull the pain, and at least get some sleep.

I keep saying the serenity prayer, but it's not working.

Why don't I sleep; I'm 47, I will probably lose my license, my job, my wife, my kids and my house. DUI's don't fair well in education. These thoughts just haunt me all day and night. I feel like it's the end, I mean...where do I go from here. Best laid plans are over. God, I may have to start a new life, at 47.

Any advice on how I can cope.

And yes, I'm still trying to get off the xanax.

K

Last edited by krug; 01-10-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

a new life is far better than caring on with your old life.

Being granted serenity, courage and wisdom with a few prayers would accomplish nothing for you.
If it did, that would probably be the end of your relationship with God...................till the next problem.

Keep Praying
Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krug View Post
Day 4 of recovery. No drinking, but the xanax is still a necessity. Took .5mg at 9am, another 1mg at noon, another 1mg at 4, another 1mg at 8, another 1mg at midnight, and another 1mg at 4:am. So I guess that's 5.5mg, (sorry Impurrfect, I miscounted) not much of a taper, I still feel terrible. Can't sleep without it.

DUI lawyer yesterday. Don't look good. Thus the need to dull the pain, and at least get some sleep.

I keep saying the serenity prayer, but it's not working.

Why don't I sleep; I'm 47, I will probably lose my license, my job, my wife, my kids and my house. DUI's don't fair well in education. These thoughts just haunt me all day and night. I feel like it's the end, I mean...where do I go from here. Best laid plans are over. God, I may have to start a new life, at 47.

Any advice on how I can cope.

And yes, I'm still trying to get off the xanax.

K
How does one even get that much Xanax a day?
Does a doctor write a script for you or is it from the street.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went from 1.5 to 6mg and the Dr. didn't even blink. At the time I thought I made a touchdown, now, it was definatly an interception.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((Krug))) - I pm'd you. It's not easy getting through all you're going through, but it is possible. I still have sleep issues, ever since the 2nd robbery I was a victim of, but I worked with my dr. on something I don't abuse. However, I still have many times when I just can't sleep for days, then sleep 24 hours. It's not the best or healthiest of situations, but it's something I've dealt with for 2 years, now, and I just sleep when I can when it happens.

I know everything seems dismal, but it can, and will get better...although dealing with the consequences is pretty distressing when we're going through it. We DO get through it, and come out all the stronger.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Krug,

your sleep will come back eventually after you get off the benzo beast.

The reason you aren't sleeping now is because you are altering your dose too much too quickly. Your GABA system (which alcohol and more so benzos dismantle) is completely out of whack, in addition your cortisol and adrenaline levels will be through the roof, serotonin levels will be low too, these are all normal during abrupt benzo withdrawal and all affect our ability to sleep.

Unfortunately xanax has an incredibly short half life which means it looses its effectiveness within a couple of hours, this makes it one of the worst benzos to try and taper, whether dry cutting or titrating, the interdose withdrawals are hellish. Many people find that switching over to a longer acting benzo, such as diazepam (valium) will eliminate the interdose withdrawals and make for a much smoother taper due to the smaller doses the pill comes in. .5mg of xanax is equivalent to 10mg Valium (based on many equivalency tables)

I have PMd you a bunch of info, please make sure you read and understand as much as you can about this med before you see your doctor, most doctors are more than able to keep prescribing them in increasing doses but have little to no idea of how to help the iatrogenic addicts they create.

Good luck, this is not like coming of a street drug, if you need any additional info feel free to PM me again.

MHH