Notices

Im new.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Im new.

I joined AA a two weeks ago and im clean from drinking for 6 days now. Outside of drink I smoke weed and cigrettes that I would like to let go also. I tried to quit all at the same time but i almost went crazy, so I decided that I'll stop drinking first then do the rest. Im hoping by sharing this maybe I can get the support to quit smoking along with drinking.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

I'm new round these parts myself and other than the fact I kicked cigarettes years ago my story is kinda the same. the folks around here are cool and supportive so keep your chin up and stay strong.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeless7 View Post
so I decided that I'll stop drinking first then do the rest.
Welcome!!!

Good plan, they have a 'nicotine' subforum here, for down the road.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I quit cigarettes last january. I could smoke a Marlboro Red 10 feet long right now.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

IMO, the weed's gotta go. You can work on the tobacco when the time is better. The objective is to get well, not perfect. We each have our own can of worms to unwind, and different methods to get the job done. Tapering rarely works. You've gone to AA. Good. Sponsor? Get one. Today is good. Discuss your weed use with the sponsor. You are on the best path you could have picked. Stick to it.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lushwell View Post
IMO, the weed's gotta go. You can work on the tobacco when the time is better. The objective is to get well, not perfect. We each have our own can of worms to unwind, and different methods to get the job done. Tapering rarely works. You've gone to AA. Good. Sponsor? Get one. Today is good. Discuss your weed use with the sponsor. You are on the best path you could have picked. Stick to it.
I concur.

(LOVE the avatar Lushwell - makes me want to listen to the album again)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have severe Glacoma is why I smoke weed, it stops the headache, the doctors keep putting me on more pills with addiction so I been keeping with it till I find another route. Thats why I picked drink first.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks thats good to know.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"SMART" Recoveree

Welcome Hopeless! btw, you're not hopeless - you're here doing something about it

I finally went to impatient for a month and that got some sense into me. Wasn't fun - but it was needed. Anyways, while I was there I was told that there is research that shows quitting everything at the same time gives a person better chances.

I found myself cross-addicting really badly when I quit smoking weed, I drank - a lot more than I did already. So, for me, the route you're taking wouldn't work - I tried it. Edit - just noticed that you've got glaucoma so, of course, your situation is a little different than mine. Give it some thought at least, I haven't done the research but I'm sure there are other ways to calm the symptoms so they're at least manageable

Figured I'd share my experience - Good Luck and Welcome!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Yea....

I been noticing that too. Smoking more cigrettes now and im like ugh......Im hoping by next week i can force myself to complete the rest. Im so ready but not the headache tho. I'll see. Hey im on Day 10 of no drinking
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The weed and tobacco ARE triggers for alcohol as the alcohol is for tobacco and weed.

I smoked weed and tobacco 30 years. That was 2.5 years ago.
I stopped alcohol because it was a trigger for the other two.
ALL 3 CAN BE DONE!
I occasionally have a craving but the thought of going back to that disappears in seconds.

Now, opiates, I wish they were that easy.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Be aware there is a lot of bull out there about cigarette withdrawal, it really isn't that bad once you identify why and how to modify yourself to stop.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

In my not-so-humble opinion it is not a good idea to stop lifelong habits at the same time. Mind-altering substances should come first, you can get to the cigarettes later...

And if you never get to the cigarettes, you're still a winner for quitting the substance abuse.