Notices

social security disability

Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

social security disability

Hello to everybody glad I found this place.
I've been diagnosed as having anxiety/major depression and have been fighting with both social security and inept lawyer since feb. of last year.
I'm having a hard time getting by with occasional thoughts of suicide.
Why does it take so long ?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you talked to the SS people? Sometimes it helps get insight on what approach to take. Do you have access to therapy? It sounds like you need to talk to someone.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SSDI is notoriously hard to get for everyone. The rumor used to be that they denied everyone once just to see how dedicated they were to actually getting their benefits.

I'm sorry you're going through it. Maybe getting a new lawyer would help.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have been fighting with SSI since October 2006. My attorney is doing a good job, it is just very hard to prove mental illness is as debilitating as it can often be.

I fight with PTSD (have nightmares, smells/noises trigger flashbacks, extreme anxiety, social anxiety all related to the PTSD). I also fight with Bipolar type II. Chronic anxiety/depression. Often times I feel suicidal. That is with meds, I hate to think of it without them.

It is easy to become discouraged with the disability process. I sometimes wish I just had some physical disability that they could see because I don't think that many people can even comprehend how punishing and debilitating the mind can be unless they have themselves experienced it.

Hang in there. If you don't feel your attorney is the right one find another. There are a ton of them out there. I did not get an attorney until I had been turned down twice. I have been turned down twice since then but my attorney keeps fighting for me as she believes in me.

I do hope that you find the answers and help you need soon. Be aware though that the SSI/disability process can take years to resolve.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by navyvet View Post
Hello to everybody glad I found this place.
I've been diagnosed as having anxiety/major depression and have been fighting with both social security and inept lawyer since feb. of last year.
I'm having a hard time getting by with occasional thoughts of suicide.
Why does it take so long ?
navyvet,

have you tried the VA?
They got help for me.
I had a very good rep, and he eventually got me 70% for major depressive disorder.
I know how it sucks to try to do this when you feel bad, but at least i think you can get treatment at the VA hospital.
Try that, and DAV.
Keep working on it.
Beth
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Took me almost two years, with a professional advocate and all.

I guess SS assumes that every person has at least a couple years worth of savings once they apply for disability and have nothing like rent or food to worry about. I suppose they are inundated, but it stinks they can't just lay forth a temporary staff to bring things up to speed.

But SSDI is over-rated. I have been working about full-time for ten years and I'm only qualified for a few hundred dollars below minimum wage. My discretionary budget is about $200 a month.