Notices

I'm going cold-turkey from Oxycodone

Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I'm going cold-turkey from Oxycodone

Well where to start. I am 24, married with 3 children (2 stepsons and a daughter). I was put onto OxyNorm (rapid release Oxycodone) when I was 17 due to numerous gynae problems - PCOS, Endometriosis, PID, ovary removed and over ten operations. My initial dose was 4 x 10mg tablets. But like all these painkillers you get used to it and the Drs kept upping my dosage to keep the pain under control. At my highest point I was taking over 100mg a day. Then one particular operation seemed to help with the pain and I decided to start cutting down with a view of getting off them for good.

Fast forward a few years and I cut down to 6 x 5mg per day and I found out I was pregnant. I was delighted as I was told I could never have children. So I wanted to quit cold-turkey but the Drs all strongly advised against it. I was already at massive risk of miscarriage and premie birth and they felt that doing that would put the baby at risk. So they all got together and decided that 4 x 5mg per day would be a perfectly safe amount to take while pregnant given that my body had a high tolerance to it I would metabolise it quickly.

And they were right. I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy 8lb9oz baby girl who tested negative for any trace of it in her system and my breastmilk was also tested and it was cleaar as well so I could breastfeed on the low dose.

Fast forward a year and I have not been very sucessful in weaning down much more. I got down to 2 x 5mg a day but felt like crap so for the past 3 weeks have been taking 3 again. I decided enough was enough - I had been on it for 7 years and I decided I was starting 2011 without them.

So I went to my Dr and told him my plans, he initially said I should just try to cut down more but lets face it. I'm on a low dose already so why not just stop. He laughed at my stubborness and offered me 3 nights worth of sleeping tablets and some anti sickness tablets and wished me luck.

Fast forward to New Years Eve. I take a tablet at 6pm - my last tablet ever and I wait and wonder. Scared stupid at how ill I might feel given I was on them for so so long.

I woke up in the middle of the night with restless legs, feeling flushed and sicky - the start of the withdrawal I presumed. I took and antisickness tablet and some low stregth painkillers (not narcotics) for the aches and got back to sleep. Dozed on and off until 11am this morning and I was still feeling a bit rough - It's the restless legs and the fact that I find I have loads of saliva in my mouth but it's difficult to swallow it.

I now feel a bit horrible. Restless Legs really bad, annoying me the most by far. I can live with the nausea at the moment and the hot flushes. I find it's so much better if I stay active but I need to sleep. I took the sleeping tablet and it seemed to help me a bit but I couldn't sleep at all.

I have no idea how long any of this will last for. It's been 34 hours since my last dose and if I am totally honest I don't feel as bad as I thought I would. I am certainly feeling rough and the restless legs are horrendous but still it's all well within coping. Would just love some more definate answers and noone can give them

I am giving up for me. No Drs are forcing me to. I have tablets in the drawer beside me and I could take one right now and I would feel fantastic. But I would have failed and nothing in the world will stop me doing this detox. You have to really want something for it to change and I do. My friend always said to me 'the mind is everything, what you think - you become'

Any advice or comments/tips much appreciated.

L

Oh and sorry for the ramble
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The best advice we could give you would be to follow your doctor's advice. I have no experience with Oxycodone, but I do know that it's never really a good idea to just abruptly stop taking any medication you have been taking for years.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

a little unsure

thanks for your post,
Im not sure in your story as to whether you continued to take them after the pain stopped or if you have chronic pain as a result of the surgeries. Either way, I hope things go well for you, I know people who quit Oxys, and from what I have seen from them the first little while is the hardest.

If you find that you can't stay quit on your own and you don't have a legitimate medical reason to being using them, there is a huge world of people out there who have been in the same position and have would a way to live life without pills and be happy about it!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. My pain reduced immensely after one operation and I felt I didn't need to be on such strong painkillers. As of the moment I have slight pain but nothing even remotely bad enough to warrant Oxycodone. My Dr is happy enough for me to continue to take the tablets as I still have some pain but he is also happy for me to try to get off them. Although they wanted me to keep cutting down and do it that way.

But either way this morning I feel a bit better already. I still have restless legs and I feel slightly nauseous but to be honest this is not as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

If you read the oxycodone withdrawal help on the Substance Abuse thread, it will tell you a lot of people's stories of withdrawal symptoms.

I am clean off oxycodone since December 15th. For me, the first few days were stomach cramps, diarrhea, HORRIBLE restless body when trying to sleep, and feeling just totally blah with NO energy. I 'm told it will return.

Google PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) which someone else here told me about. It will tell you a LOT! You may not be totally over this for well over a year, but if you hold firm you will get your life back.

I am so happy for you about your baby. For her alone, this is worth it.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Everyone is different so your results may vary

The main brunt of the restless legs lasted about 4-5 days for me. After 25 days I still get very mild episodes at night. However it is very managable, and Something I hardly notice anymore.

The same goes for the feeling like crap part. The main brunt of it lasted about 4-5 days, and then I began feeling a little better each day.

Hang it there.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. It just helps to hear from other people who are in the same boat or who have had this experience. I'm one of those people who researches everything and likes to get all the facts. Like that old adage - knowledge is power. So it's nice to hear what other peoples side effects were like and how long they lasted.

I am feeling a bit rougher tonight. As soon as I get up off the sofa I feel quite out of breath but the restless legs are making me need to get up so it's pretty much a no-win situation lol. And it's nearly impossible to relax on the sofa with 3 kids under 7 running about. (That's trying at the best of times )
Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Scooby. My story is very similar to yours. I have Endo, IBS, and Interstitial Cystitis. I was taking a lot more then you, and I did the taper. I was also coming off of Morphine ER. I cut that out completely. Went from 10-12 sometimes up to 20 a day of Oxycodone 10/325. I cut down to 4... I went through some withdrawal, but it wasn't nearly as bad as withdrawal I've had in the past.... I wish you luck..

I still have pain every day, but I hope that eventually it will go away. I'm thinking of just doing the hysterectomy even though I'm only 27.. My sister had one last year, and she said it has helped a lot...

Good luck! Keep posting here...
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please however much you find it difficult to sleep don't turn to sleeping tablets especially if they are benzos. Taking them for just a few days can lead to chemical addiction which is an absolute nightmare to get off.

Take care.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kyomi - Thankyou for sharing your story. I really hope you get some resolution to your pain. I was recommended to have a hysterectomy and I am so glad I didn't as I now have my daughter and the pregnancy actually reduced the severity of my Endometriosis. I personally would only go down that route as a last resort but big hugs to you

Myheadhurts - the sleeping tablets are Zolpidem which are non-benzo. I only have a 3 day supply of them - to get me over the worst - and the prescription will not be refilled after the 3 days. But thanks for your concern

I know exactly where you are coming from. My worst nightmare would be replacing one addiction with another especially after working so hard to get to this point. I wasn't keen on the idea of taking them at first but the Dr convinced me in that I WILL not be getting any more after the 3 days are up (so there's no chance of getting to the point of addiction) and also they are supposed to ease RLS at night to some degree. That was the main thing that swayed me and I have to say after taking one last night it did seem to ease it a bit. Whether that was the drug or just a coincidence is another matter but either way I felt it was useful to me.

I really appreciate people sharing with me. It's great to know I'm not alone in this.

L x
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My endo actually got worse after my son. I used to have normal periods, and then I had him, got a uterine infection, and a D/C because of the infection. Ever since, problems....

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's wild Kyomi, usually it stops or eases with pregnancy so sorry to hear you're one of the very unlucky ones who has got it due to it Hopefully you will get it sorted soon
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's been 3 days since I last took a tablet and I still have that creepy crawly restless legs at the minute. I also feel absolutely drained of all energy and my brain feels like it's not working properly. I can usually type ridiculously fast on a keyboard but tonight I keep mis-spelling words and writing nonsense letter by letter like a child. I hope this doesn't last too long. It's hard work with 3 kids and not being up for doing much.

I did manage to get out shopping today for a while which, while exhausting, did me the world of good as it kept my mind off everything. I hope my energy increases tomorrow as it's back to the grindstone. My other half is self-employed and I have to help him out tomorrow which involves a fair bit of driving so hope I'm OK.

How long did this feeling last for everyone else?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

You're doing great Scoobygirile! I bet you will notice a marked improvement over days 4, 5 and 6. Just give yourself a chance to get to each improvement point. You will be so happy you did!

Maybe check out a meeting NA/AA if you are feeling squirrely. I went back to my first one after 5 days of cold turkey and it did me a world of good.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Dopafiend - it's great to hear words of encouragement

Stratman - thanks for commenting. I read your thread (and commented) how great it is to be able to see what I probably have in store for the next while, as your story is nearly identical to my own. I really appreciate all the posts given that you're feeling pretty crap. Although it's not exactly comforting for me to know it's probably going to get worse before it gets better I find it helpful. It gives me an idea of what to expect and get geared up for it.

I had been wondering why I hadn't had an upset tummy/bowel issues yet as everyone else seemed to so it's also good knowing that you were the same at first. Although I'd of course rather neither of us was in this situation at all it's great that I can learn about your experience while going through the same thing.

Like I said, I'm the person who always reads the instruction manual - even if it's just for a kettle. I like the facts. I like to know what's coming (or at least some hints) so I really do appreciate being able to hear your experience. Thankyou
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Scoobygirlie,

Keep at it and it will get better. Keep hydrated with water and pedialite. If you are getting dizzy standing up, that is usually dehydration. The more you can not just sit around on the couch, the better. I know it is difficult as I went through it myself. I am on my 19th day clean now and getting much better each day. The energy will start coming back after you get through the sickly part. If you like to do anything that keeps your mind focused (crafts, puzzles, video games) then do it. There is a horrible urge to sit and wallow during this time and that is very unproductive. Hopefully your other half is supporting your recovery. You need that!

Keep seeking support here. There are many of us who have struggled through the same thing.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thankyou NeedMyLife. That's really great your're on day 19 I really do appreciate people in similar situations commenting on my posts as I find it very comforting to know I'm not alone and there's other people out there going through it too. I have been up and about today driving and various other activities - keeping myself occupied.

I had a bad hour this afternoon where I literally felt like I was trying to crawl out of my own skin. My legs felt like insects were burrowing into them. It was definitely the worst I've felt so far but then it passed and I feel much better again now.

My other half is indeed supportive which is definitely what you need. I feel for people going through it alone - it must be so hard without that support. He even treated me to a nice new Radley handbag this afternoon to make me feel better so I'm being very spoiled at the minute which is quite nice
Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

omg

hey I'm new and just took my last 15mgs at 545 this am. i'm scared to death of the w/ds i've been taking about 40 mgs a day or more since aug. i want my life back free of the trap of addiction, has anyone ever came off this stuff without the weeks of hell ive been reading about?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's never easy

Hello Scoobygirlie and everyone else who left comments.

I'm new to this thread, in that I finally joined today, but before that I was a long time reader. I have battled the dreaded OxyContin addiction for the last year. I've been on it a little over a year. It all started with back pain, Spondyolisthesis, I still have it actually, but I'm going to find a way to live my life without taking these pills anymore.

On the upside, OxyContin works wonders for pain. For a while there, I thought I'd found my miracle drug because it worked so well. But it's not long until you realize just how much the drug robs you of your life, robs your enjoyment to just enjoy the simple things. I started out on 20mgs 3 times a day last December and now a year and a month later, I'm up to 60mgs 3 times a day.

I feel like it's not only worked to control my pain, but more than anything it's controlled my life. I know I will not be in a real, truthful, honest, loving relationship with a wonderful partner until I'm free of this burden because its robbed me of who I really am, nobody would want to be with me, I won't let them.

This is not the reason I'm quitting, the reasons I'm quitting are actually two fold: 1. I've only got 6 pills of Oxy left and for the last three days, I've taken only one a day, when I was used to taking 3 a day. 3, 60mgs of OxyContin, 1 pill 3 times a day, which means my body has been accustomed to 180mgs of OxyContin a day. 2. I don't want to give any more of my life to this drug. It's already destroyed one relationship, and it's come real close to isolating me from my family. 3. I don't want to see anymore pain management doctors, unless I go for non-narcotic pain medicine, but being addicted to them, it's hard to say no to the monthly allotment. So I'm breaking the cycle this time. I have not confirmed my monthly appointment, and I'm going to stay away, as in not return their phone calls, until I'm in a much better place.

You may be asking why? Why did I relapse before? Honestly, because of my monthly visit to my pain doctor the strength of my addiction. It's hard to stay sober when I've got a monthly appointment with my pain doctor just to get more medication.

This is not the first time I've quit. Pretty much every single time I've quit, I did it Cold Turkey, and we all know the saying, "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger," every time I go C/T this is what repeats in my head over and over, until I finally start feeling better. I know there are people reading this who want a fast and easy way to detox, but I honestly believe from all my past experiences, you do not start feeling better until a full two weeks have passed and even then you may still be feeling the effects. This time instead of going C/T I am tapering down, and I already feel the stomach cramps, the aching body, the chills, the mental cloudiness, the non-solid bowel movements, the uncontrollable sneezing.

You want to know the symptoms of withdrawal from OxyContin? They are in no particular order:

1. Blurred Vision
2. Stomach Cramps
3. Diarrhea
4. Body Aches and Chills
5. Sweating in your Sleep
6. Anxiety, fast heart rate
7. Vomiting
8. Uncontrollable Sneezing

These are not all, by any stretch of the imagination. The last time I was sober, it was on day 28 that I finally had a solid bowel movement. I lost so much weight. My stomach hurt so bad, any time I ate something, I immediately went running to the bathroom.

All of this to say, I give mad props to everyone on this list. I'm so glad you are all here and that you've gotten your life back on track, just as I'm going to do.

I can honestly say that tapering off has been a lot better so far than C/T. I've done the C/T thing more times that you can count on two hands, so this time when I decided to stop, I saw how many pills I had left and stuck to my own regiment for coming off them.

Today is day 3 of one pill a day rather than 3 a day, tomorrow I'm going to cut one pill in half and start tapering off that way. I know you're not supposed to cut time released pills, but it's the only way I can ease my body off this mess. Please pray for me, please leave me comments, I want to be free once and for all from this. I was the one who allowed myself to take this medicine and so I'm the only one who can get myself out of it.

I look forward to recovery and to any words or wisdom you can lend.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bestofluck I wish you a safe journey in recovery!! I myself was addicted to oxys at one time in my life, and I had a daily addiction of around 180mgs. They took over my life. The second my eyes would open in the morning I was on the phone looking for them. I planned my life around having pills. My day to day activities would depend on how many I had/if I had any at all.

I cant even imagine how much money I spent total on them. But for 2 years I was so addicted to them. I dont even want to think about how much money I spent because I know it will make me sick LOL.

The withdrawals are horrible. Restless legs keep you up at night, and make it literally impossible to sleep. I remember the first 7 days of being clean. I was so sick, and so tired. I think I had a total of 2 hours of sleep.

So stay strong and you can do it!