Notices

Everyone has a story- heres mine...

Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everyone has a story- heres mine...

I dont really know how I got to this point, I always thought i had "it" under control. As a kid my parents always told me my father was an alcoholic so there was never any alcohol in my house. Then in 9th grade my parents seperate, and that was the breaking point. Living in a house with no rules at night, I started to party. Which i thought was normal for a teenager, but now it seems all too hard to stop. It started with alcohol, plenty of it. Beer, liquor, wine....first only on the weekends then some on the weekdays too. But that turned into literally every weekend. I didnt know what to do if I didnt have a "buzz". I Never went out and did anything sober, it was always half drunk.

Well as high school years pass I start smoking weed, heavily amounts of it. But that has never really been a big problem, it all went downhill when I found "30s". Just like alcohol, i started using them on a regular weekend occation, but then it turned into weekdays, everyday. I didnt feel normal without pills. I wake up everyday and my first thought is, "Where can I find more pills?" It is not a fun way to live. I am 23 years old and still live at home. But now in a more structured environment, with my uncle and not my father. I have a great girlfriend who I would love to talk to, but her ex was into pills and thats why they broke up. That is the last thing that I want to happen. I love her more than life itself, but I feel like I'm totally screwing us with my addiction. I never thought that it would get to this point.

Finally on my birthday in Decemeber of this year, I reached my breaking point. In 2008 I was in a 4 wheeler accident that dislocated my hip. Once I finally got insurance through my work in April of this year, I went to a pain management doctor. An easy and cheap way of getting pills. I never thought that I would get a script, but all the doct did was call the hospital and get my MRI from 2 years ago and that was that. It started small with 5 mg oxycodone 3x daily. I would never make it through the entire month. So i asked the doct to up me, and he did to 15's. Now im taking 4x a day but like before they never last the whole month, barely 2 weeks because I abuse them. Once I run out, I resort to buying whatever my dealers have. Usually about 100-150 mg a day. Im tired of living like this. I've read these boards for the past 3 months but never bothered registering. I think of myself as a coward for getting these pills without having any real pain while plenty of you out there are with real problems and trying to get off the same thing I am.

But I've had enough. Im tired of lying to my family and my girlfriend, the people that love and support me the most. Im tired of letting people down. And im tired of waking up everyday thinking about pills or needing pills to fall asleep. I'm on day 3 of withdraws, which have been pretty ******. The first night i could not sleep at all, RLS all night. Could not stand it. My girlfriend prolly thinks Im crazy. Last night wasnt too bad, I slept 1-4 then woke up till 7 then tried to sleep till 10.

Im not too sure why i posted, I think I just want something to make me stick to quitting. I want to so bad for myself, and for my family. I stopped everything cold turkey, pills alcohol weed and skoal. I just want to be normal again. Thanks for listening to me ramble on, I know Im a terrible writing as I hated English class in school. But any advice/stories/comments would be appreciated.

God Bless, Glad
Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Sorry, all out of stories.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad,

If you are already on day 3, then I would think that you should feel some improvements soon. They are very difficult to get off of, but the hardest part is already behind you.

I was doing the same exact things that you describe. My dr was giving me 240-30's every month & I was constantly running way short. My last script was gone in 5 days. It only progresses & every time we go back, it only gets harder to kick. I woke up 110 days ago & said I'm done. I had said that to myself many times, but this time it was different. I was sick of being a slave & a zombie.

After about 8 days I went to my first 12 step meeting. I had never been to any & I didn't know anyone in the program (I didn't think I did, but now I'm running into people from my past quite often). I only went because I had been trying to stay clean for 30 years on my own & was having little luck in that department. It's helped me tons by having clean friends that I can call whenever I want. With your past, which is very similar to mine, you may want to check it out. I'm just throwing it out there & it's not for everyone.

Be proud of your 3 days & stay strong. It does get better.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Take advantage of being a "short timer"

Hi there,

I too got hooked on oxycodone after orthopedic issues, mine was double knee replacement surgery. Drugs destroyed my life ten years ago, ripping me and my family to shreds, and losing me almost all I owned. I NEVER thought it would happen to me again.

I am on Day 14 off oxycodone. I must say, for me it is a rough go. I'm 59 and still arthritic, and one thing you learn by my age is that life is not pain free. The oxycodone AT FIRST gave me an uplifted, happy mood, and increased my mobility. I did not recognize that it was a TRAP.

I soon became dependent on higher and higher doses, going to more than one doctor without telling the other, going to different pharmacies to make sure there was no "overlap" and I'd get caught.

Finally, this last time, the drug doc I was going to actually lost his license to prescribe when the feds found him hiding his riches from giving scripts to us users. I quickly found another doc, and several dentists, to keep up my supply.

Of course, I ran out of a two month supply in a week. This time, it was dry time for real, or go to the streets. I knew I had downward spiraled, and this time it was going to destroy the life I have built up again. I had to STOP.

My "name", "failedtaper", reflects the past year of my life. I really believed I was "tapering" from oxycodone. In reality, my use was getting higher and higher. I was getting toxic, too, and never regained the original oxy sense of "wellbeing" that it gave me at first. Maybe with the first dose of the day, and that only lasted maybe an hour before I hit another dose.

I personally cannot be trusted with this drug. I will use what is in front of me. I finally came clean to my husband. I did the same with my doctor yesterday. My labwork came back horrible. I haven't damaged my liver yet, but my cholesterol profile came back horrible, because on oxycodone, I didn't care how I ate and I was also gaining weight steadily. My doctor told me she had seen another user shoot up to 300# on oxycodone. Geez!

My biggest problems in withdrawing so far: stomach distress and extreme fatigue. Some depression, which I expected to happen. I am on a rollercoaster of feeling bad and relatively okay. I've withdrawn before years ago (alcohol over 20 years ago, and other opiates ten years ago) so I know this will pass. The hard part is that I know that if I took some oxy right now, I'd feel better within 20 minutes.

I am not going to do that. I need to regain my life before it is too late. I need to find out ways to feel good that don't involve a substance. I was SO sick of thinking about oxy every second, counting my pills, feeling sick for days before my next visit because I had abused my dose. NO MORE. I can't live like that any more.

Brave words for this morning. I feel like crap. But I KNOW I will feel better if I just give this time. Better than I did on oxycodone.

Keep going. Seems you haven't done this for years, and maybe this is your first oxycodone recovery. I don't want another one. I don't know about you. I don't want to repeat the past 15 days ever again. Feeling sick this morning is not as bad as I used to feel in the few days while I waited to get in to another doctor, try to remember which pharmacy I used last so they wouldn't refuse to fill my drug.

I hope you read all the posts about oxycodone withdrawal. They are helping me realize I will not feel this way forever.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome now you have done the easy part.The hard part is to stay stopped its simple just not easy.If you REALLY want to stay sober I suggest 90 meetings in 90 days.Its not the only way but it is the most effective.If you call the local NA or AA they can usually give you a number of an active member that will meet you at a meeting or even pick you up if you need it.
Take it from someone whos been around for a while the withdrawl gets harder every time you go through it. Your in a great place 23yo and getting sober you never have to do this again.Take this oppurtunity and run with it my friend dont look back.It took me twice your age to get it lots of wasted time that I regret.Keep posting its good for your soberiety.As you can see I also dont write so good but I do it cause its good for my soberiety.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 4

On day 4 of no oxycodone, alcohol, weed or nicotine, and let me tell you it has been a pretty tough battle. During the day I feel like I dont have any energy, and the worst part is I can't sleep at night. I hate sitting in bed thinking about who I've screwed my life up for the past 2-3 years but being of the rut of always being ****** up all the time. Tossing and turning, can't ever get comfortable. I hate feeling like this, but everyone says it can only get better from here right?

Squarehead- 110 days clean is amazing, you should be very proud. I only hope I can reach that long. I've always tried to quit, either smoking, drinking, pills or dip, but usually only 1 at a time. But every single time I find myself substituting one thing for another. And before I know it, I'm ****** up and end up doing the substance that I had supposubly "Quit". That's why I just woke up one day and told myself, "I have to quit everything". I've tried going to meetings before, a mandate after I got a DUI a few years ago, but I live in a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone. I'm thinking I might drive up to another town about 40 mins away to try one there. Just tough when working 6 days a week on 2nd shift. But thank you for the support. Truely means alot.

Taper- I can only imagine what it's like to be in real pain and actually feel like I need to take pills. Well thats not completely true I've never really taken them, always snorted them. It's crazy how it starts, you do it once with a friend or two and love the feeling. It's amazing how it feels in the beg. but after so long it always takes more and more to feel like that. Me and my best friend would always get together and look for pills. 20-25$ a piece just throwing our money away. And for what ? But for an addict that feeling is priceless, and an addict is what I've become. I wish it was easier for me to tell the most important people in my life what I'm really going through. How did your husband take it? Did he know about when you were hooked on them 10 years ago? I have read many posts about the withdraws, I've been coming here for a couple months but never registered. I would be clean from pills for 2-3 days then someone would call me or it would be that time of that month and I would get my supply and not have a care in the world. I admire you're on day 15, I can't wait to be there. I think I will feel/be a totally different person, since I havent been completely sober from drinking/smoking/pills in about 8 years. I just hope I can sleep better, do you have that problem too?

Tbeit- I totally agree the hard part is staying sober, that has always been my biggest problem. I'd always find an "excuse" or some type or reason to get ****** up, some holiday or someones birthday. But I've finally realized if I'm ever gona get past that I have to have some type of self control, or I'm gona be in this tail spin for the rest of my life. When you went through withdraws what were you hooked on? I'm not sure if its just the oxycodone or withdrawing from nicotine too thats making me feel so bad, last night I had the worst headache. I've thought about meetings, I'm just uncomfortable in that type of setting. But telling random strangers online how I'm feeling does actually feel like it's helping. Like you said I think writing is good for you're sobriety, so I'm going to try to post AMAP.

Thats it for now, hope everyone is getting through their day as best as possible. I never knew as many people struggled with the same problem as me....

Glad
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

Hang in there!

Originally Posted by gladtobedone View Post
On day 4 of no oxycodone, alcohol, weed or nicotine, and let me tell you it has been a pretty tough battle. During the day I feel like I dont have any energy, and the worst part is I can't sleep at night. I hate sitting in bed thinking about who I've screwed my life up for the past 2-3 years but being of the rut of always being ****** up all the time. Tossing and turning, can't ever get comfortable. I hate feeling like this, but everyone says it can only get better from here right?

Squarehead- 110 days clean is amazing, you should be very proud. I only hope I can reach that long. I've always tried to quit, either smoking, drinking, pills or dip, but usually only 1 at a time. But every single time I find myself substituting one thing for another. And before I know it, I'm ****** up and end up doing the substance that I had supposubly "Quit". That's why I just woke up one day and told myself, "I have to quit everything". I've tried going to meetings before, a mandate after I got a DUI a few years ago, but I live in a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone. I'm thinking I might drive up to another town about 40 mins away to try one there. Just tough when working 6 days a week on 2nd shift. But thank you for the support. Truely means alot.

Taper- I can only imagine what it's like to be in real pain and actually feel like I need to take pills. Well thats not completely true I've never really taken them, always snorted them. It's crazy how it starts, you do it once with a friend or two and love the feeling. It's amazing how it feels in the beg. but after so long it always takes more and more to feel like that. Me and my best friend would always get together and look for pills. 20-25$ a piece just throwing our money away. And for what ? But for an addict that feeling is priceless, and an addict is what I've become. I wish it was easier for me to tell the most important people in my life what I'm really going through. How did your husband take it? Did he know about when you were hooked on them 10 years ago? I have read many posts about the withdraws, I've been coming here for a couple months but never registered. I would be clean from pills for 2-3 days then someone would call me or it would be that time of that month and I would get my supply and not have a care in the world. I admire you're on day 15, I can't wait to be there. I think I will feel/be a totally different person, since I havent been completely sober from drinking/smoking/pills in about 8 years. I just hope I can sleep better, do you have that problem too?

Tbeit- I totally agree the hard part is staying sober, that has always been my biggest problem. I'd always find an "excuse" or some type or reason to get ****** up, some holiday or someones birthday. But I've finally realized if I'm ever gona get past that I have to have some type of self control, or I'm gona be in this tail spin for the rest of my life. When you went through withdraws what were you hooked on? I'm not sure if its just the oxycodone or withdrawing from nicotine too thats making me feel so bad, last night I had the worst headache. I've thought about meetings, I'm just uncomfortable in that type of setting. But telling random strangers online how I'm feeling does actually feel like it's helping. Like you said I think writing is good for you're sobriety, so I'm going to try to post AMAP.

Thats it for now, hope everyone is getting through their day as best as possible. I never knew as many people struggled with the same problem as me....

Glad
Hi Glad,
I am a FANTASTIC liar. I lied to my husband and everyone around me about my drug use ten years ago. It went on over a couple of years, injectible opiates. I hid the bruises from popping when I couldn't get in a muscle. (Yes, believe it or not, some opiates can be used IM, and the "best" muscles get calcified from use) Everyone suspected "she must be going through menopause" to explain my bizarre behavior. (I'm 59 now) I made a vital mistake in my job that cost me my entire career, and my husband's career, all in one fell swoop. We lost our home, the homes we helped our two sons purchase, our business, my husband's pet car, our RV, and whatever else we had to sell to live. I lost access to my drug overnight, and went into immediate withdrawals like heroin addicts do, which lasted about a week. I recall locking myself in the bathroom for hot baths and giving myself enemas to stop the stomach cramping, which did not work. I just had to ride it through. At this point, my husband found out I was using drugs and so did my doctor, who tried to help me went I fell into a deep depression over what happened to me by drowning me in SSRI's (anti-depressants). Nothing worked. I was sick for probably 2 months after that stint, but the depression lasted a few years. I managed to go back to school for another profession that paid less, and wrangled with legal troubles over my "fall from grace" for several years. I finally came out of my depression by STOPPING antipressants cold turkey and getting counselling. (Oh yeah, NA meetings helped back when I was withdrawing and getting used to life without the drugs.)

I was pretty proud of myself. Off alcohol for 20+ years, now off injectible opiates for 10 years. Then came oxycodone!

I am SUCH a good liar, my husband did not know how much drug I was injecting 10 years ago until I went through my withdrawal from oxycodone this time. I needed to come totally clean at last so he would understand addiction, and how bad mine really is. My two orthopedic surgeries were a grand excuse to get addicted again, this time for legitimate purposes (my other uses 10 years ago were NOT legitimate). My husband was unhappy with me, to say the least. In the past 2 weeks, he has gone from relief that I am finally getting clean, to extreme anger that I am risking our lives again. I said "I'm" instead of "I was" because I am savvy enough this time around to understand that this addiction thing is NOT past tense for me, ever again. Even my alcohol abuse of many years past - NOT past tense. If I started drinking the cold duck I loved so dearly, I would be drinking it at the volume I once did quite quickly. Injectibles? NOT past tense. Oxycodone? NOT past tense.

No, I haven't used oxycodone again since I stopped 15 days ago, but I know that if I accidentally found a bottle in the house, I would have to get someone to stop me before I would hide them and take a few. I can't be trusted with it ever again. I had the doctor list opiates on my medical record as causing me an "adverse reaction" so that they won't be prescribed by another doctor if I have a weak moment.

My husband asks me every morning now, "how do you feel?" I can truthfully tell him I am feeling better every day. I try to "call up" those feelings I remember having sitting in my car waiting for a pharmacy to open, script in hand, anxious to get the new bottle of oxy to stop the sickness I had. In effect, I withdrew every two weeks for a few days because I would always abuse my dose and would be out of pills by my next doctor visit. Not as bad as the acute withdrawal I just did, but I could swallow those pills fast enough as soon as they were in my hand. I'd buy an energy drink with them, and would down that in the car.

At the end of my recent oxy addiction, my drug mind wanted to convince me that all I needed to do was get down to a "couple" of oxys in the morning to get me going, and I would just stay happily on them for the long term. I've thought about that concept now, and I liken it to accepting my husband "needing" only a shot of bourbon, "just once" in the morning, to get his day going. Would I think that was okay? Am I crazy.

No, my husband quit drinking with me over twenty years ago, and he has not gone back to drinking. He knows he can't. His use was worse than mine was, and he has a family history. It took us both three years to get to the place where we didn't crave our alcohol every day.

Oxy is more insidious. You get addicted quicker than alcohol. I have found the withdrawal to be different. Worse for me, because I never wanted to drink in the morning. I still wake up thinking about oxycodone, wanting it.

My husband is a wonderful man, we've been married 40 years (child bride almost). He will see me through this, but I sense his frustration with me (or my addiction) every time I have a bad day. He really thought I would be "over it" in 3-5 days.

I answered more than you asked, but maybe my story will help. Every time I write it, I realize how insane my life is when I am on a substance, and how every time I have successfully fooled myself into thinking "I can handle it." I can't.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Oh yeah, the sleep part

Forgot to answer the sleep part.

Yes, sleep is currently my biggest issue. First I can't fall asleep. Lie down, feel creepy crawly all over, wriggle and squirm, sit up. Then, can't sit up, too wriggly and skin crawly, have to stand up. I go through this little cycle of activity for about an hour before I finally can't stand it, get tired enough to fall asleep.

Then, I usually wake up too early. This morning it was 2 am. So I sat here on my laptop and answered another user's post, messed around for an hour doing that kind of stuff, then went back into fitful sleep.

I'll feel like crap today because I didn't sleep all night, at least not enough good hours. Sleep was a problem for me before, but was better on and off after alcohol. Then the past few years, still a problem. Now off oxy, big problem.

I haven't found a good answer for this one yet. I hope the creepy crawlies at least go away. At least then I could just lie there awake and not be force to get out of bed to wriggle around and shake it off.

I don't know what causes this to happen. Some people take herbs like Melatonin, but that has never worked for me. OTC meds might help. They also don't work for me though.

Hope you get over the sleep thing. Just recognize that oxy isn't the answer.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 5- a horrible start

I finally start to think I was making progess being that I actually got a good night sleep, and then I wake up to a nightmare. I was in a single car accident a few years back when I was in the hospital for one night without insurance. This is when I first started getting pain pills. Well I wake up today and go and check the mail, and I see my paycheck. Got 12 hours overtime , nice. Thinking about all the extra money I'm going to have now that I'm not buying any alcohol or pills. Then I see another letter from collection agency. A BILL FOR $8300.00! from 2007! I just started to cry. From one single night in the hospital, 8300.00. And now if I can't come up with at least $200.00 a month or a payoff of $7500.00, then it will be going on my credit report. I didn't have insurance back then but I do now, kinda ironic I guess.

I want to use so bad. Anything I dont really care. I just dont understand why it would take these people almost 4 ******* years to send me this bill, and then to do it the week that I want to become sober. I don't understand this at all. I had the hardest time telling my girlfriend on the phone, because all she wants us to do is move out. And so do I. But now I have this outrageous bill for one night along with a student loan from some bogus school I went to years ago that I'm still paying on. But I guess this is a test.

Any other time I would just go out and get ****** up, but not this time. It's time for me to change. Im done being the old person where I need a substance to forget about all my problems. Its time to face them, even if I dont have the $ to actually do that.

I don't know how Im going to pay it or what I'm going to do but I know one thing: I'm staying sober. No alcohol weed pills or skoal. Wish I could write more but I have to get ready for work. Thanks for the kind words taper, besides being male and female and almost 36 years apart, we have SO many things in common...I will write more when I can

Glad
Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FT

Dear Glad:
Medical bills can be disputed, and even forgiven. All public hospitals have government grants that REQUIRE them to give indigent help. Hill-Burton funding is one of them. They can't get blood out of a rock. Look at your statute of limitations on line to see how long they had to bill you. If it is 3 years, they can't bill you now. Get some free legal advice on this -- it's available. The worst thing you can do is make a small payment now, because it restarts the statute of limitations on their ability to bill you.

Hang in there. You are in charge. These people (won't call them what I would like to) don't care if you live or die, or if you are a user or not. What often happens is these hospitals sell the debt for pennies on the dollar, and it isn't really even the hospital billing you any more. If it hasn't gotten that far, so much the better. DISPUTE THIS!

And DON'T use. It will only make matters worse. At day 5, I also expected to feel better and did not. Especially with a huge stressor like this. I'm on day 16 now and feel better than I have in months, but I expect some more surprise dips and drags.

Write when you can....
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your story really hit home with me. My husband admitted to me today he is addicted to drugs. Before we even got together, he spent his life like this.. everywhere he went, he was f'ed up. His friends thought he'd die from alcohol consumption many nights. When we got together, he quit everything. At least I thought he did. He just told me today that he is addicte to painkillers. Your story helps me because it sounds just like the stuff he told me today.. maybe we can reach out to each other.. I wish you the best with this, and I hope you know you can overcome it.. if you ever need help, feel free to contact any of us here..
Old 12-31-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

New years eve....sober?

Tonight is going to be the first new years eve that I've been sober in so long. Probably eight to nine years. **** it's the first Friday night that I've been sober in 2-3. Prolly going to be boring , but at least I know ill be clean and I won't mess up all the progress ive made in the last 6 days. I can totallly see how people become addicts now. There are situations in everyday life that stress people out so much they think they have to get ****** up to deal with it. I was one of those people and I think I still am. But im trying to get out of that habit. When i woke up the other day and got that bill in the mail, I wanted to get ****** up so bad. I forgot that was one of the reasons I used to get high all the time, was to forget about all my fiancial problems that I have. But what is that going to do? Only delay the inevitable. I'll still wake up tomorrow and the problems will still be there. It's time to face them.

Taper- thank you for writing back, it really means alot to me. When I first posted a few days ago, I honestly didnt think I would be sober this long. But coming here and saying how I feel and sometimes seeing other peoples situations that they're in really helps me and shows me that staying sober is the way to be. Are you completely sober from all drugs? Or just stop doing pills? I hope one day I could maybe just be able to drink a beer or two and have a good time. I never could and maybe I never will. It always snowballs into getting liquor then snorting some pills then making food and dipping. It was just a huge cycle of bad habbits that was ******* up my life and making me so unhealthy. Im glad I finally have insurance, I think I should actually go to a PCP and get a physical. I do know my cholestrol is high and so is my blood pressure. That is what the pain management doctor told me.

As far as the medicial bills, where is the best place to start?? I only had car insurance at the time, no medical. I had bills to the ambulance, ER doctors, er anastelogist and the hospital itself. I paid most of them off, but the hospital bill was around 11,500 so I was paying just a little a month. I called for financial aid and they told me I made too much. **** i make 14.30 an hour that aint nothing. But then I moved and never got a bill after that from the hospital. I checked my credit report of last year thinking i'd see it on there, and it wasn't. That was in july. Then I get a bill in decemeber, probably 2.5 years later from when I last paid anything at all. The bill is from a collection agency, and for not as much so I dont know if the hospital sold it to them, it kinda sounds like they did. I haven't made a payment yet, I just told know what to do. Where do you think I should start??

Thanks for listening, I have to run im already an hour late for work but writing on here is so worth.

I hope everyone has a great healthy sober new years eve

Glad
Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, those little things will get to you. That is what bugged me for awhile..I quit 3 days before my birthday, and I didn't even care that it was my birthday and didn't do a thing all day, because I didn't have some pills to make it fun. I wouldn't walk my dog, get on the computer, go ANYWHERE for almost 3 months after I quit. Holidays were pointless, christmas is actually the first one I really enjoyed being completely sober. For tonight I plan to just rent a few movies and hang out at home. It has been almost 6 months for me and things are just now starting to come around..So give it time, don't let "Oh, but it's a holiday" or other little excuses get to you..Also Props to you for dropping nicotine at the same time. That is one battle I am still fighting, quitting opiates was actually easier for me.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FT

Where to start

Originally Posted by gladtobedone View Post
Tonight is going to be the first new years eve that I've been sober in so long. Probably eight to nine years. **** it's the first Friday night that I've been sober in 2-3. Prolly going to be boring , but at least I know ill be clean and I won't mess up all the progress ive made in the last 6 days. I can totallly see how people become addicts now. There are situations in everyday life that stress people out so much they think they have to get ****** up to deal with it. I was one of those people and I think I still am. But im trying to get out of that habit. When i woke up the other day and got that bill in the mail, I wanted to get ****** up so bad. I forgot that was one of the reasons I used to get high all the time, was to forget about all my fiancial problems that I have. But what is that going to do? Only delay the inevitable. I'll still wake up tomorrow and the problems will still be there. It's time to face them.

Taper- thank you for writing back, it really means alot to me. When I first posted a few days ago, I honestly didnt think I would be sober this long. But coming here and saying how I feel and sometimes seeing other peoples situations that they're in really helps me and shows me that staying sober is the way to be. Are you completely sober from all drugs? Or just stop doing pills? I hope one day I could maybe just be able to drink a beer or two and have a good time. I never could and maybe I never will. It always snowballs into getting liquor then snorting some pills then making food and dipping. It was just a huge cycle of bad habbits that was ******* up my life and making me so unhealthy. Im glad I finally have insurance, I think I should actually go to a PCP and get a physical. I do know my cholestrol is high and so is my blood pressure. That is what the pain management doctor told me.

As far as the medicial bills, where is the best place to start?? I only had car insurance at the time, no medical. I had bills to the ambulance, ER doctors, er anastelogist and the hospital itself. I paid most of them off, but the hospital bill was around 11,500 so I was paying just a little a month. I called for financial aid and they told me I made too much. **** i make 14.30 an hour that aint nothing. But then I moved and never got a bill after that from the hospital. I checked my credit report of last year thinking i'd see it on there, and it wasn't. That was in july. Then I get a bill in decemeber, probably 2.5 years later from when I last paid anything at all. The bill is from a collection agency, and for not as much so I dont know if the hospital sold it to them, it kinda sounds like they did. I haven't made a payment yet, I just told know what to do. Where do you think I should start??

Thanks for listening, I have to run im already an hour late for work but writing on here is so worth.

I hope everyone has a great healthy sober new years eve

Glad
Hi Glad,
I am SO glad you are still sober! Yes, I am sober from all drugs. I withdrew from alcohol addiction over 20 years ago, injectible opiates 10 years ago, and now I am clean from oxycodone for 17 days. I am clear headed in a way I can even remember being for a couple of years. Sleep is still a hard issue, and the creepy crawlers when I lie down at night.

I learned a lot about debt ten years ago when I lost my career due to these drugs, and my husband lost his at the same time because we ran a business together. We literally had creditors breathing down our door, and we even began bankruptcy proceedings but did not complete them. When creditors saw us doing that, they mostly left us alone. But a few years later, when they found out we did not complete the process, they were back on our doorstep.

We successfully fought a $20,000 credit card bill that had been inflated by the collection agency to $30,000. These people count on scaring you into paying. DO NOT PAY A CREDIT AGENCY THAT HAS PURCHASED YOUR ACCOUNT FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR! If you do that, you automatically redate your account to present day, and they can legally come after you then.

Some states have a 3 year statute of limitations, some have 6 year, some have others. That means that if you have not paid on the bill during that period of time, and they have not tried to take you to court to get it, it's too late for them to come after you.

Your hospital bill is unlikely to be from the hospital any more, so what you have is these bottom feeders who care nothing for your ability to survive, who will hound you and hound you and try to frighten you with a lawsuit. Don't fall for it. They count on the fear factor to get people to pay, usually offering to "settle" the debt for 1/2 or less of the total bill. That still makes in EXTREMELY lucrative for them. Also don't fall for credit counseling agencies. What started out as a good idea is now another set of people who want money out of you after they "consolidate" your debt. You can negotiate better on you own.

I am not a financial consultant, just been there. It's worth every penny to seek either free legal aid, which most states require attorneys to offer as a serve for so many hours per year for people who can't afford to pay. If you can't do that, find a good bankruptcy attorney even if you have no intention of going bankrupt. Good ones will know about the statute of limitations on this debt and what to do. My guess is that this hospital bill is too old for them to collect on it.

I am in the northwest, but other states bar associations all have legal aid divisions to help you. You will feel much better if you can tell a creditor, "let me give you the number of my attorney." Also, you do NOT have to talk to these people on the phone. Just tell them, "If you don't quit harrassing me, I am going to report you to the Consumer Fair Reporting Act bureau.

There are a lot of protections set in place for consumers right now. You don't have to let these bottomfeeders destroy your ability to regain your function as a sober person.

I feel better and better every day, and my oxycodone craving is starting to go away. I still could not be trusted with this drug. I could have easily gotten some at my physical a couple of days ago, and I held firm and said I did not need any more pain medication. I don't ever want to ride this roller coaster again.

I'm happy to talk any time. I have lots of experiences in my own recovery times three now, as well as financial loss, ruined career, and how to climb back out again. Hang in there.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Things looking up

Taper,

Great job on turning down the offer from you're doctor! I know that had to have been hard. I'm going to have to do the same thing when I go back to my doctor in a week or so. I'm thinking about canceling my appointment with my pain management doctor and trying to find another doctor to do a physical with. I'm just kinda nervous because when I went to my pain management doctor I really didn't thin there was someting "that" wrong with me. But after he read my MRI and got my bloodwork back, he tells me that there was definetly something wrong with my injury and that my blood pressure and cholesterol was high. I think after I heard that from him, I almost started trying to justify going to the doctor because I had these things wrong with me. But the thing is I could go to a different doctor to get treated for these conditions without having to get oxycodone and put my life back in a tailspin

On monday I'm really going to try to research and see what I can find out about this hospital bill. Should I try to call different lawyers around where I live or try to find some online? I can't believe I have all this headache after just 1 night in the hospital. Having insurance is a luxery too many people in this country take for granted. The people who have it don't use it wisely and the people who don't have it would love to. It's crazy how expensive it has become.

So how are you feeling? Day 17 or 18, right?? Are things getting better with you're husband? Hopefully he's been understanding what you're going through and being supportive of you. My girlfriend has been pretty great for me, but it just seems like sometimes she just gets on my nerves now. Just little things she does, I dont know why. I guess I was just always to ****** up before to even care what she did. But I'm getting through it a day at a time. Today is day 7 for me! almost to the hour, I did my last pill around 1 pm est on Xmas day. So i'm going to take this sobriety and run with it. See how far I can get. Hope you have a great New Years!

Glad
Old 01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FT

Just a quick note, but I want to talk to you again. I'm doing better and better every day. I snapped at my husband this morning, realizing I am still feeling the opiate withdrawal. Step back in your head and watch how you react to things. You are in recovery now, which may appear like a steep climb, but every day gets better. GET A DIFFERENT DOCTOR that understands addiction and is interested in keeping you off. Tell the doctor you have AN ADVERSE REACTION to all opiates so that they will NOT give you any. That is a hard step, which I just took, because deep inside me what I really wanted was "knowing" that I could still get my drug. Ha. Addict thoughts. Geez.

As to the lawyer, call your local bar association and ask them for their free legal helpline. I think all states have it. You can google it. I can find it for you if I know what state you are in, and you don't have to tell me where you are. Like me, you probably want all of this confidential.

Gotta go now, but please check in with us. We really know how you are feeling, you are not alone, and their is help for you and answers to the problems you are having. Don't let those bottom feeders (the collectors) get you down. As I said, they make money off of your fears, and you do NOT have to speak with them. Change your phone number if you have to. If you know who they are, you can also report them to the Fair Credit Reporting people through your State Attorney General if they are abusing you!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FT

Here you go:

Virginia State Bar - Public Resources

Go to the part for "pro bono" help. It's there
Old 01-01-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just a silly post

YouTube - Mister Sandman - The Chordettes

feeling a bit alone right now but its' ok

Igonore the add at the end sorry....although i like the ompa lompa reference lol