Notices

Any idea how long these withdrawals will last?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Any idea how long these withdrawals will last?

My father recently passed away from cancer, leaving me with a whole pile of oxynorm + oxycontin.. One way or another, I ended up taking it.

For a month I took it everyday, but only really averaged about 40mgs each day. I only weigh 45 kilos though. I hadn't done my research (trusted a friend who seemed knowledgeable, silly idea).

I stopped taking the oxy on the 23rd of Dec. It is now the 28th, and I am still feeling horrible. I wake up in the morning and every muscle aches. Last night was the worst, I had the worst headache I've ever experienced. Ended up crying on my mother's bed at 4am, she just kept saying "what have you taken, what have you taken?" I hate that her assumptions are validated.

I've had to tell the family I've got the flu.. Convenient that wds emulate it, that's one blessing. If it didn't, this would all be out in the open - which in a way i'd prefer.

Given that I only took it for a short while, how long should I expect this to last? It seems to be getting worse and not better.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Vanitas,
I'm so glad you've stopped taking the oxy and are not seeking more. Please read the posts on oxycodone withdrawal help on the Substance Abuse section here. There are lots of useful posts there, and some are mine near the end of it.

I had orthopedic surgery x 2 and a hysterectomy and got hooked on oxycodone for almost 2 years. I just stopped, pretty much cold turkey, on December 15th. The first three or four days are the worst. Stomach cramps, bowel issues, sleeplessness, restlessness, body and head aches, hot and cold feelings. Just plain crappy, and ZERO energy.

I am now only on Day 12, and I noticed that I've been feeling better and better, but yesterday felt sick all day again. I went to the doctor today, and she agreed I was still withdrawing. It gets better, so I hear.

Google PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) and it will help you. Also, the Oxycodone Withdrawal Survival Guide, which wants to sell you vitamins but gives you a good map of symptoms as you withdraw.

This is an insidious drug and has ruined my life for the past year at least. It seems to help you cope at first, and then you are trapped. It takes more and more drug to make you feel just "normal" again. You won't feel normal ever again if you maintain an oxy habit.

Hang in there. Your use was short, so I imagine you will have less trouble than some.

I'm so sorry about your dad. I lost my dad over 20 years ago, and I had an alcohol problem then, which I recovered from and never returned to. These substances do not help us cope in the long term, NOT AT ALL.

Again, read mine and other posts on this site, and you will hear lots of good stories and people who will help you.