Notices

Depression & Anxiety

Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression & Anxiety

Hi,
I've been sober for almost 6 months. I've had anxiety for as long as I could remember. Sometimes it gets to a paralyzing point. Since I quit drinking I've found my anxiety has gotten better, however it is still an issue for me. I've also suffer from depression off and on, more so since I've quit drinking. I've never been on medication for either. I was wondering if these two disorders go hand in hand? I've made a doctors appointment, and plan to discuss these issues. The idea of anti-depressants scare me, and I'm not sure why. Anyone have similar issues?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Depression and anxiety together are very common. I've been on medications for both for about 13 years now. I've only been sober for 14 days now, but I know all about what you're going through. Some medications worked and some didn't. All the while I was drinking on and off, but really heavy the past couple of years. Finally realized if I didn't quit drinking then the depression was just going to get worse and worse. I hit a bottom and I never want to feel that way again. Now with taking the meds and off the alcohol, I finally feel like myself again. Anyway, there is nothing to be scared of when it comes to antidepressants and anxiety meds. They will only help you. Anyway, PM me if you want to ask any particular questions. See ya.......
Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I was wondering if these two disorders go hand in hand?
Depression & Anxiety go together for me. Now that I'm sober the two disorders are more manageable but I still bouts of both. Actually the anxiety got worse when I went off of AOD. But having bad symptoms of anxiety in better that the poising of my mind/body when I was using.

I use various CBT treatments plus medication to make living with depression and anxiety as tolerable I can. Sill it can be exhausting to have these disorders.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I use to be afraid of antidepressants but I realized after getting sober I was basically drinking myself into oblivion to self medicate.
Have a doctors appointment too and will finally get on them, should have been on them 10 years ago practically.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have been sober 10 years in March of this year. For me the depression and anxiety started long before I got sober. It is something I have been fighting most of my life although when I self medicated with alcohol it was controlled part of the time.

I know for some people medication is not necessary. To those I say be thankful because it can take a while to find the right medication treatment and psychotherapy combination. I have been fighting with getting it right for 10 years now.

I do have other mental health conditions that further complicate the treatment of my depression/anxiety and I am sure that is why it has been a long road for me. Please do not be afraid of medications as even those who's anxiety/depression can be treated with therapy and other things, sometimes need a short term anti-depressant. Listen to your doctor. If you don't like what he/she says then get a second opinion. Be proactive with your therapy. Remember that the treatment you receive you need to have a say in rather than just blindly following what someone else tells you. I believe that the best treatment for any condition is when a doctor partners with you in your treatment. Voice your concerns to your doctor. He/she should be able to give you reasons why they feel that med or treatment is the best for your current situation. Remember that communication is key with any treatment or therapy.

Take care. One constant in life is change. So when things seem at their worst you can always count on them at some point to get better.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, addiction and depression frequently come together.

This is my experience: I've been sober 19+ years and during that period I've been on anti-depressants. Five years ago I went into a major depression that was so awful I couldn't get out of bed. I have two wonderful doctors who came up with the right cocktail and pulled me back. I would be dead, otherwise.

A good source of information on this is the program "Addiction" program that ran on HBO (HBO: Addiction) where a number of doctors who specialize in addiction discuss the subject.

I've had no side effects from anti-depressants, they are not addictive. They do save lives.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I had terrible anxiety...I thought by drinking it would cure it...but it of course was vicious cycle..I have been diagnosed as bipolar and I am taking lithium for it...and my anxiety, depression and "highs" have all but disappeared! I am able to think straight,and better able of taking care of myself..so I'm doing alot of self care...like meditation which is great for anxiety...deep breathng exercises....and being out in nature every single day!
I know alot of people are worried about taking medication...but for me it has been a lifesaver....I still have to do the work to stay sober, but it is a tool that has helped me along my path....
Best wishes on your journey, may you find peace.