Notices

addicted to codeine and pregnant

Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addicted to codeine and pregnant

Just writing this sounds stupid.

I have been abusing codeine to the tune of up to 400mg daily (extracted from aspirin and codeine pills) split into two doses - one in the morning and one in the evening.

I just (and I do mean just) found out I am pregnant. My first thought was to flush the pills down the toilet and just deal with withdrawal but after doing a bit of research, I realize how stupid that would be.

I want to taper off this drug ASAP. I am thinking of doing a fairly aggressive taper plan.

The trouble is (and the stupid part) is that I really don't want to tell my doctor about my codeine use. Nobody in my life knows about this. If my husband finds out, it may very well destroy our marriage.

Do you think there is any way I can do this without anyone knowing? I am absolutely and positively going to stop. I will not do this to an innocent unborn life.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bg - You probably don't want to hear this, but please try to put your fears aside and talk to your doctor.

Wishing you the very best.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that your doctor needs to respect your wish to keep it private. I wouldn't think he would feel compelled to immediately tell your husband if you go to him asking for a realistic withdrawal plan.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My doctor would indeed keep it confidential if I asked him to however he is very close to us as a family (we all go to the same doctor) and my husband is very involved in my pregnancies and would find it weird that I was leaving him out. Last pregnancy he came in the room with me for pretty much all my appointments. That makes him sound like a control freak but no no, he's just really an involved dad
Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why are you so against being honest with your husband? I have always found honesty to be the very best policy. Why not just explain to your husband what has happened and then you won't have this anxiety hanging over your head. The most important issue here is the health of your baby, but anxiety is not healthy, either.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Why are you so against being honest with your husband? I have always found honesty to be the very best policy. Why not just explain to your husband what has happened and then you won't have this anxiety hanging over your head. The most important issue here is the health of your baby, but anxiety is not healthy, either.
I don't want to jeopardize my marriage, that's why. I have already been through alcohol addiction with him. I used to abuse alcohol but stopped. I don't think our marriage could survive another revelation of this sort.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

And if he were to find out in some other way? Wouldn't that be worse? A marriage without honesty is a tough row to hoe. I don't mean to sound rude, but I see so many red flags in your scenario. I hope you are able to work them all out.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My life is full of red flags. I admit that. I am one big red flag. I am also 100% committed to stopping this and putting it behind me.

I knew my question was stupid when I posted it. I know that I will probably end up by having to tell him but I really hope there is another way.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess just make sure you are being honest with yourself. You were probably 100% committed to quitting alcohol too but picked up a codeine habit along the way. So you might be saying to yourself I quit alcohol so I can quit this too, but what it sounds like is you replaced one addiction for another.

Pregnancy seems like a pretty emotional time already without adding in hiding this from both your husband and your doctor. Add in that it sounds like you only want to do this for your child what happens when you get that script for pain after having him/her is it off to the races again?

Hopefully this is not coming across as rude. Just trying to give you some things to think about. Be strong and do what you think is right.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just to put it out there (and you are probably aware bailey) - your doctor cannot share anything with your husband that you do not give him/her permission to share.

Maybe your doctor can help you tell your husband...maybe in the dr office? Like suki said, what happens if he finds out in another way...not from you directly?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I'm no physician so I couldn't give you medical advice. Your doctor is the only one that could tell you what to do and give you the best advice. Obviously you know about doctor patient confidentiality, so your husband doesn't have to know.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What about if I go see a different doctor (maybe a walk in clinic) to get medical advice? Will my doctor find out about that?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

the first months of fetus development are the most crucial. anything you take will contribute to it's development or lack of development or development in a disturbed way.

you'll have to deal with the consequences for the rest of your life.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I read (several times) that our recovery has to come first, first before everything.

I am a codeine addict with 3 days clean.

For what i've been thru lately, I hate drugs with a passion. All drugs.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was scared what my husband would say. He caught me taking his percocet, and I finally confessed... It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be..

Tell your husband!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

by law, your doctor has to keep it confidential if you request it. that being said, it would be up to the doc to come up with how he would address the issue with you to get off the pills.

my cousin was addicted to benzos when she got pregnant and she kept it from her husband the entire pregnany. she went to her regular appointments with her husband, but had one extra appt per week that she just went to.

if you chose not to tell your husband, it could blow up in your face down the road. i know you're scared, but every day you delay, puts this child at risk. if nothing else, get yourself to a walk in clinic to speak with a DR. as soon as humanly possible.
I'll be praying for you.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

please see yr doc - it prevails on him to keep your confidentiality - however - honesty plays a LARGE part in recovery as i have had to realise also...if u want life to be good in the future think carefully please.. hope u dont mind it bein said..