Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

18 Year old, Day 2 in W/D after 5 month oxy abuse. input please!

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, here's my story. I just turned 18 back in september, and this summer I started using opiates, anything from 5 mg percs to OC 80's. At first I was like every other beginner, just doing it once in a while and getting really high from it. Then it got to the point where I just needed it for some reason. I had no clue about withdrawals or any of this since I was so young and naive. Now, I realize the consequences, as I see myself turning into an opiate addict, and I almost cry at the fact everynight. A day or two ago, I realized that I'v had enough of needing a pill to feel good everyday, and decided that I probably couldn't do it on my own, especially since I'm still in highschool and can't tell my parents that I'm sick everyday for a week or two, so I decided to do the unbearable, and TELL MY PARENTS. It was Day 1 for me yesterday, having insane hot and cold sweats, and also I feel very weak and not in the mood to do anything. Right now it's Tuesday at 11 a.m., and the last thing I did was 2 perc 5's sunday night around 9. I didn't do anything all sunday, but the saturday night before that I did at least 60 mg's. So basically, now that I have the support from my family and don't have to hide it, and now that I don't need to worry about school or anything, how can I get this withdrawal by easier and faster? Also I can't sleep for ****!!! All I do is sit at home and do nothing all day except for feel like crap. I heard that immodium helps, so I took three 2mg immodiums today. Basically, I want to know what to do to stop getting hot and cold sweats, and to be able to sleep. Also I wanted to know how long this will last for? I know I can get over it, I just wanted to know anything that can help, knowing that I'm doing this cold turkey. Thanks for any input! Good luck to anyone going through what I am!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wakzak33,

The length of detox varies for everyone. I detoxed 89 days ago on my couch (not recommended) & it was rough. Of course I'm 42 & not 18 anymore. The length (8 years) and usage amounts (up to 500-700 mgs/day) caused me an extended stay in hell. I lost 20 lbs in 5 days & didn't sleep for 30 days, but I got through it. I didn't want to take anything for sleep because I decided I needed to be totally drug free & let nature takes it's course. I didn't write this part to scare you, but to show where using can take a person.

I think you made a wise choice & I congratulate you on your 2nd day. I'm no Dr. by any stretch, but maybe you should consult one. Just be careful to not get dehydrated & hot baths help a lot with the chills until your internal thermostat adjusts. I know you don't want to hear this, but sleep will come in time. The usual time given for opiates to leave your system is generally 72 hours. You're half way home, so hang in there.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much square head!! Hearing that made me get the chills up my spine. I thought I'd be feeling this for 2 weeks! To know that I'm almost halfway through is the biggest relief in days. It's just hard to sit around and wait for time to pass. My mom is getting my some immodium because I read that helps the symptoms, as well as some Gatorade to help juice up my body. The hardest part is the hot and cold sweats as well as the not being able to sleep. Before I decided to stop, I had a cough/cold and am taking a z-pac as well as promethazine for the cough, but those aren't used for "bad" purposes. I just hope that I get through this, I feel like my mind has changed so much in the past few days. I feel like I'm starting to get anxiety and depressed, but this may be from reading about it, but something is different. I tend to cry easily now and think very deeply about things. I'm not suicidal, and nor do I have the balls to be, but as long as I get through this withdrawal I will be done forever. And by the way, for anyone not sure what to do and going through it by yourself, tell your close ones!!! I cried to my mom and dad yesterday and they weren't mad, they just wanted to help make me feel better. I mean yeah, they wont let me out of the house for a few days, but that's fine with me. Family is more important than anything, god bless everyone going through these horrible times!!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't want you to think that everything will be wonderful after 72 hours. That may be the case for you & I hope it is, but you may experience lingering effects (chills, fatigue, insomnia, etc) for some undetermined time after 72 hours.

Be proud that you made a wise decision to stop & stick to it. Keep us updated on your progress & I hope you're feeling better sooner than later.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As a mom, I AM SO PROUD OF YOU wakzak! I am SO glad you sought help and told your parents. Keeping the secret feeds the illness.

As a fellow addict, CONGRATS on your 2nd day clean! I know what it's like.

You can get through this. Take it one day at a time. Drink water too, k?

All the best to you!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

You are the man! That is awesome that you told your parents. I have told NO ONE. I am 30 and my parents are still very important to me and mean the world to me, but I dont want to upset them. I own my own nice house, so its not a bad place to detox. Only problem is my girlfriend (who I am not sure I even like anymore, but thats a whole nother forum topic, lol) is ALWAYS over and doesnt understand why I dont want ANY stress right now and stuff.

I was on for a year and half and EVERYONE tells me "oh thats not long so withdrawals shouldnt be long" soooo I hope your 5 month habit makes them even less. 8 years is crazy like SH said so his was probably tougher than ours.

I am doing this at the same time so PM to talk my man!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, it makes me feel great to know all of you have gone through these problems and are still here today .... If I didn't tell my parents I wouldn't have been able to quit. I had to tell them because first off, I'm with them nonstop, and second off, because I needed to stay out of school. If I didn't stay out of school then I would have had to do them during school hours. Thanks so much for the input, and so far today has been alright. This morning was rough because I had no sleep but now I'm just a little cold and weary. I wish i could sleep though!!! Its scary thinking about it!