Notices

NA Meetings

Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

NA Meetings

Can you just find one and go? Do you have to pay? Register? Anything? Help me please!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are no dues or fees to attend an NA meeting. Here is a meeting locator.
NA Meeting Locator
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

No you don't have to pay or register or anything like that. All you need to do is admit to yourself that you are an addict and show up, then your a member.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thejuiceman View Post
Can you just find one and go?
Yes!
Do you have to pay?
Never! They will pass a basket for the 7th tradition, but you are never obligated to donate.
Register?
Never. Sometime during the beginning of the meeting the secretary may ask if there are any newcomers. If you choose to do so (totally up to you), you may introduce yourself .... My name is ______ and I'm an addict. NA loves newcomers!
Anything? Help me please!
Find a meeting near you and just go.

While you're there pick up a Basic Text.

Good Luck JM!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found that the scariest part was walking through the door the first time. I felt so self conscious and that was all just me, because I was immediately made to feel very welcome. After that it was smooth sailing. It's a very friendly group with people from all walks of life.

I would also add that many times a community has multiple groups or meeting times. A different vibe might exist in each one, so shop around if your first visit doesn't feel comfy to you. Try various times, groups, etc. until you find one that fits. If the NA group doesn't feel right to you, try the AA groups in your community. In my experience they aren't all that picky about what your personal addiction is.

I am not an expert, that is just my experience.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Ok i went today during lunch to one and it was really beneficial. May even go to another one tonight in a different part of town. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thejuiceman,

I started going for the same reason (opiates) just short of 3 months ago. I was scared, confused, still detoxing & looking for the scam. What I found out is that it's just a bunch of people like me learning how to stay clean. I saw some hardcore people that had a bunch of years clean & I wanted to know how I could do that. It's been 89 days today & I feel like my old self more everyday. I robbed myself of the last 8 years due to opiate abuse, but that's in the past. I'm just moving forward & whats done is done.

I was in a panic about finding a sponsor right away, but took my time. After 2 1/2 months of going to about 6 meetings a week, I attended a meeting I had never been to before. In walks an old golf buddy who is very involved in service & celebrating 14 years next week. I asked him to be my sponsor & I got a guy that I'm truly thrilled with & have a lot of respect for. The weird part is that the meeting we reconnected at is one that neither one of us ever go to. We were both in the area & decided to go last minute. I guess it was meant to be.

Good luck & give it a chance. There are a bunch of really good people in those rooms.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Going to my first meeting tonightt at 7:30pm. Hope it's still on as we got hammered with about 18 inches snow in the last two days. We even made ABC news last night and the Weather Channel was in town. Gotta love the snowbelt, LoL.

Glad to see the meeting was beneficial Juiceman.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Announcing you're a newcomer often lights a fire under the members and opens a passion for sharing just for that person and how NA has worked in their lives. I love newcomer meetings!

Best thing I ever did was find NA!