Notices

Pot

Old 12-05-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pot

I have struggled with lots of alcohol and drug addiction over the last 15 years and I have been able to walk away from certain substances yet others have a real hold on me.

Today, pot seems to be my last huge vice to get over. My main DOC is xanax and I struggle with my recovery from these pills. For some reason I have a very hard time not smoking any pot. I guess another DOC of mine is also pot then too...

When I was in treatment for xanax the doctor told me there is nothing i can do to help me quit smoking pot except quit smoking pot.

I keep telling myself today will be the last day I smoke and then tomorrow will come, I get terrified of being sober, and I cave.

There have been times when I would make it almost a complete 24 hours without smoking and then give in during the last hour.

I know I can beat this but I just can't believe how something like pot can have such a strong hold on me.

any advice?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bars
welcome to SR

Glad to see you found the other thread on this

Without repeating myself too much - I just up and quit. It was hard in some ways but nowhere near as hard as giving up alcohol was for me later on.

You'll find a lot of support here. I know it's scary but it helps to have people around you who understand.

You can do this

D
Old 12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I can totally relate. When I first decided to get into recovery I was doing it halfassed. I was willing to stop drinking but not willing to stop smoking bud. I continued to smoke everyday but not drink. I'd go to meetings and stand up and introduce myself and say I've been sober for X amount of days, when in reality I would smoke some trees before i left the house to go to the meeting (aa). It eventually led me back to drinking because trees don't really allow me to escape reality. When I smoked it made me what I like to call normal. By this I mean that I was always loaded, when I wasn't it was an abnormal feeling for me. Not only lead me back to alcohol, but the last time I drank, I drank myself into a blackout. I woke up at the next day at a friends out of town and also learned that I snorted a little more than 2.5 grams of coke that night in a period of no longer than 3 hours. Mind you I hadn't coke in years. I only way about 140lbs. Doing that much powder in that short time, I'm very lucky to be alive.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Don't smoke the Devil's Lettuce !!!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Bars - I responded to your other post on 'any recovering potheads out there'

The beauty of SR is that there is always someone online to talk to - and with Dee and I being recovering potheads - we're usually both online at times where your american counterparts may not be - so feel free to send us a PM if youre struggling and dont feel like posting an actual thread. I bug Dee heaps, aye Dee
Old 12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

so happy for all of your responses. this site is great. i have been reading more than i have been posting but posting here makes me feel better than i do sharing at meetings. i have a hard time talking about my feelings but typing is much easier.

i mean it's not even fun for me anymore...
Old 12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Someone shared at a NA meeting a week or so ago, and said that we can't go over problems or around them, we have to go thru them.

This is something I've been thinking about a fair bit lately.
I've been where your at many times, terrified to face life un-numbed. ......... but come on in, the waters fine!
Not near as bad as it seems
Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey Bars--I just finished a big, long post on the other thread and have to hit the hay so I can be up for my wonderful job tomorrow, but wanted to let you know we're here for you! SR is a great place. Whenever you feel like lighting up, post here instead. It will really help!!!

Hang in there and keep letting us know how it's going!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Bars,

My DOC was weed although I quickley progressed to Benzos and Alcohol dependance. An addict is an addict and I stuggled terribly trying to stop smoking. I am 6 months clean now and it was the last thing I quit, and slipped back with many times. Don't beat yourself up too much I know how alluring it can be. Keep going! I feel SO much better now I am used to being sober
Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I smoked pot pretty much every day for about a year and then just decided to stop. I think the main reason was the fear of arrest. But I don't have any craving to go back to it, even before concerts or other special occassions. I have found it much harder to quit booze, mainly because it's so cheap and easily available.