Notices

Opiate withdrawals

Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate withdrawals

Good morning (at least it is here). I have been thinking about how many people find there way to this forum who are either going through or about to go through opiate withdrawals and are scared out of their minds. I remember vividly how filled with fear I was the first time I realized I was going into withdrawals (and that time wasn't by choice - I just couldn't get my hands on any - I was eventually able to chase them down and went to some VERY sick places to get more).

I am not here to offer medical advice - just some experience and hopefully some strength and hope (and feedback from old timers telling me I am insane). I have withdrawn from codeine, hydrocodone, oxy, morphine, fentanyl, poppy tea, and heroin (mostly the latter). I have been through it so many times that I literally knew almost hour by hour exactly how I was going to feel. The sweats, the chills, diarrhea, vomiting, cramping, the strange smell, and of course the depression (which was close to unbearable). Every person is different however and the best thing I did was to go to detox. I know I know that is not what you wanted to hear - everyone wants to keep it quiet - they don't want anyone to know. For me acknowledging the problem out loud to loved ones was very important because I can lie to myself all day long, but deep down I know I am full of sh*t.

My main point of this thread was just to try to offer some hope to those people on the fence. You CAN do it. One great thing about time is that it goes on. Just keep reminding yourself that and it will be over before you know it (and then the real work begins). From my story you can see that withdrawals are literally just one step in a long long journey, but a huge step nonetheless. Talk to your doctor and have a plan (most importantly a plan for what you will do afterwards). Remember you don't have to do it alone!
Old 12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good share Marcus - thanks

D
Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Live it

Thanks, Marcus. This is true - I was terrified of withdrawals, but I finally went through them on November 24, 2009. I've been off opiates ever since, and today I'm clean. It's certainly a process. You have to take it day by day. If you're hot-headed like me, sometimes you'll have to take it hour by hour. And that's okay!

The only right thing to do is stay clean ... the rest is slow progress.

Be well,
s-s