Notices

Thanks But No Thanks

Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dismember

Thanks But No Thanks

I have another gripe/issue that is bothering me and even if not related to recovery I would like to use SR and its anonymity to address it.

I don't know how many of you are Facebook users but apparently there is a campaign going around where you change your picture to a kid's cartoon to show your support against child abuse.

I'm really bothered by this. I know that "awareness campaigns" can get people started and thinking about issues, but I feel like it's also a way for people to feel content like they're doing something when actually they aren't doing anything. And frankly, Facebook is a poor way to make anything happen as no one really monitors what people are doing. It's the ultimate self-fulfillment fantasy.

I am one of those "poor, unfortunate victims" of childhood abuse. I tend to prefer, despite it's factor to cause unease in some people, the term "childhood rape." I appreciate people's concern for the welfare of kids in less than ideal homes, but I get so fed up with worry that these "campaigns against..." make people content when nothing happens. If you want to be supportive, don't do these minute Facebook campaigns. Give a little money to a supportive cause, write someone in government, or on a very simple note just write a charity that does work against such things and express your support (I work for a housing agency for the homeless and disabled and we LOVE hearing people's well wishes.)

Don't know if Mental Illness was the right forum, but I thought maybe more people could relate here than elsewhere.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I feel you on this one Isaiah. I don't Facebook myself but if I did I'd have to be in agreement with you. Do people actually think they're doing something noble by changing their user pic to a cartoon. What a joke. I don't see anything noble in that. If they do want to feel they're supporting a good cause why not take some real action. There are so many kids out there in group homes that were placed because of being in abusive homes. Why not go to one and become a mentor. Or even join the big brothers and big sisters group. It's very sad that terrible things happen to children who are still so innocent. If they could get a decent role model in their lives their chances for success and making out of those situations would be ao much better. I knew so many kids that were in group homes when I was in high school, and so many more when I was in continuation high school. I was always saddened to see that they were taken from the conditions they were in only to be placed somewhere that was not much better. This is not to say that all foster placements are bad. I'm sure if those kids had some good role models, some good inspiration in their lives they would be so much happier. A lot of the guys i use to use with in continuation were in fact from group homes. Children are so innocent and they do deserve the best possible chance in life. A little bit of love, compassion and positive attentionbgoes a long way in the heart of a child or teen. It's when they don't get it that they start seeking attention in a negative manner, when they start to lash out. Life isn't fair but everyone deserves a chance at a good one. My writing this doesn't make me any better than those Facebook clowns, because even this isn't taking action.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Thank you, lovely response.

I do believe in the basic goodness of people, but I feel like to many sources draw people into what they hope is the quickest and fastest way of being charitable. Generally the awareness campaigns. They promote a false promise that things can change in the internet era without work or sacrifice, which is very much not the case.

I am on disability right now, which lends to the up and down that while I cannot yet sustain a job, I can volunteer as much as I want. I work for two places now (a housing agency and a food bank) and as much as we dig supportive voices, we need money and volunteers to do what we do. Facebook campaigns do nothing unless people move beyond them and give us financial or physical support. Or if nothing else, a personalized "thank you." The anti-homeless agency I work for sends every thank you message to all its staff. It's beautiful and keeps me moving even when the work I do is boring.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get the signifcance of doing something like that - its the same reason why we wear a poppy here on Anzac Day to remember our war dead.

Symbolism crosses national boundaries and languages, it's very immediate, and can be very powerful.

But yeah, I worry too that there's a whole emergent network of people who think that changing their avatar, or whatever else they have you do these days on FB, equates to actually *doing something*...

it's not action, it's a mouse click.
D
Old 12-04-2010, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, but what if bringing that awareness to Facebook encourages even a handful of people to volunteer or donate, isn't it worth it? I mean you're assuming that it does nothing when it very well might motivate some to take real action.... right?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why does it matter what other people do?

Of course we'd rather point the finger at other people than look at our own sick stuff.
Me included!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

good point tjp

I've no doubt that some people do have their awareness woken and do go on to do something.

I wasn't assuming anything tho - I'm just concerned, and have been with FB for a long time, that a lot of people are satisfied with the symbolism - more than that I feel, certainly among people I know, that they sometimes confuse the symbolism with action.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur and I just don't get it

It's not pointing the finger at anyone - this is a discussion board...we're discussing - it was a vent I had stored up - but it's not something that keeps me awake at nights LOL

D
Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

It's not pointing the finger at anyone - this is a discussion board...we're discussing - it was a vent I had stored up - but it's not something that keeps me awake at nights LOL

D
Well, that's a good thing or I'd be really worried about you!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Misanthrope

Oh, so thats what that was. I actually wondered about it.

I really feel you on this, its like those "Go barefoot" days my friend does to spread awareness for kids in Africa...it doesn't do a damn thing for them, "being aware" does not put shoes on their feet. Also, if people don't know what the hell you're doing it for it doesn't work because they just sit around and wonder about it. :/