Notices

Looking For Help

Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Looking For Help

I've struggled with booze and drugs many years. I was clean for years, however, was recently prescribed a supposedly a non-nartic pain med called tramadol. I am prescribed 4 tabs daily for pain and find myself feeling buzzed. I have researched this med on the internet and every article or doctor contadicts itself. My pain doctor insist it's safe, however, my psychiatrist believes it's addictive. I don't know what to do?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Justfor1

None of us are Drs here - but in cases like this, if I felt I was getting buzzed, I'd go with that feeling.

We know, ya know?

Maybe speak again with your doctor - maybe get yr Psych to call him?....if necessary, there's always the option of finding another Dr. if you're not happy with the response you get.

D
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SoberRecovery Justfor1.

My experiences with Tramadol gave me a 'buzz' too. From my understanding Tramadol is a synthetic analog of codeine and it acted like codeine to me. I consider it to be potentially addicting, but I'm no expert, just a person in recovery.

All I can add is if its something that is causing you problems and you have serious concerns about this drug jeopardizing your recovery (being that you are in recovery), only you and your health care providers can find a workable solution.

At any rate, glad your here seeking solutions.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The thing is the pain doctor, psychiatrist and pharmacist all gave me completely different information. Tramadol is even a controlled substance in some states but not others. Doctors frustrate me sometimes.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think you are bogged down with terminology. Tramadol isn't controlled, which is a Federal (DEA) classification and doesn't vary by state. There is anecdotal evidence that some become addicted to it....just like everything from nicotine to antihistamines. No drug is 100% "safe"...they all have side-effects and using them have costs and benefits.

Your best bet is to take these concerns to the doctor who prescribes them and have a frank discussion.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tramadol is an opioid analgesic and binds to opioid receptors.

When the commercial for lunesta came out, I laughed. The manufacturer suggested (in so many words) it was safe being non narcotic. ha!

Lunesta - non narcotic? ............so what! I was givin some and abused them right away. Non narcotic means very little or nothing to an addict in active addiction.
Tramadol - Not (technically) classed a narcotic, but an opioid analgesic ? - close enough for this addict.

What i'm sayin, is be careful dude. I flirted with codeine (fast forward 2 months) and now I can't stop. I had 17 months clean.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your concept-points are valid, but fluid terms don't help. Typically, "narcotic" refers to opiates, but to some it includes all controlled meds. I think, when it comes down to brass tacks, terms are irrelevant, what matters is what they do to us. If we end up abusing a medication in an addictive way, we have a problem, no matter what the label is.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I read one article where some medical personal want to change it to a narcotic. I think I'm going to stop just to be safe.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me it's about behavior - I know that I can become addicted to just about anything including chocolate chip cookies, skittles, exercise, fishing, you name it. My way of being is that if one is good, two is better and if two is better, four is great.... I must always be alert to anything that becomes more than it should be.