Notices

Getting off of Xannax

Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting off of Xannax

Hi all,

My main issue is alcohol. I am trying yet again to quit drinking but have been perscribed Xannax by my doctor for an issue I had 2 years ago. I only take .5mg per day. I typically take Xannax now to help with hangovers and go to sleep when I don't drink.

I have been taking about 4 Xannax's per week for the past 6 months. My question is, do you think I'll expierience any withdrawl from them giving them up? If so, what should I look for and what helps it?

Thanks,

RW
Old 12-01-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Reggie

None of us know your current health or your clinical history.
It's best to ask these kinds of question of your Dr.

D
Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would say when it comes to any Benzo you need to seek the help of a doctor as withdrawal from Benzos can be deadly.... Call your doc.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Benzos ( like xanax) have the potential for pure danger and can easily facilitate a seizure if stopped abuptly.
Don't flirt with them!

I have been addicted to smaller amounts and also 26x the amount you're on and the rule of thumb is always the same.

Go to the doctor for medical advice and be completely honest.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile Benzos

I just got off Benzos after a decade of being hooked. My ex-husband, a plastic surgeon, of all people introduced me to them. I fought like hell trying to beat it. Benzos took everything from me.

The only thing that worked was going to rehab, and working the 12 steps..there isn't a day that goes by that I don't check in on a website or physically attend a meeting....those who go to meetings make it.

Its a life long committment to stay clean. Its a cruel and vicious journey, but my God, its worth it.

Please go to rehab, not just detox, but an extensive inpatient program.

God Grant you the Serenity....
Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey buddy. i quit xanax about 4 months ago, i was taking it everyday, i had .25 mg pills and i would take around 3 or 4 of those a day. when i tried coming off cold turkey it was hell, felt the worst ever. my doctor told me to taper off slowly, talk to your doctor about tapering
Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Beware, Xanax withdrawal is one of the worst medicines you can go off of in the world... check with your doctor as it is extremely difficult.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys... I have been tapering. Doing every other day for now, and next week will go to every 3ed. I haven't expeirienced any withdrawls so I think I'll be good. It would seem to me that withdrawl's would happen sooner rather than later. I had no idea that they could be so bad getting off of them when I started taking them. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i have a serious xanax addicition i am recovering from. At my worst I was taking around 20 to 30mg daily and I quit cold turkey. It was the worst 21 days of my life. I had horrible audio and visual hallucinations and I did not sleep for DAYS!.

i thought i did some serious permanent damage to myself and i did not think i was coming back to normal.

this is the dangerous way to get off of xanax but ask your doctor and he/she may be able to give you something to help with that.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Reggie, I too was hooked on them. I was taking about 3 to 4, 2mg bars a day. I had to quit I was becoming a zombie and didn't care about anything. I did stop cold turkey by ending up in jail and I had a very hard time sleeping and copoing with anger. My temper got pretty bad for a while, but it did eventually even itself out. However like a lot of the others said, it may not be a bad idea to contact a doctor or at the very least call a pharmicist. It's always a good idea to be safe rather than sorry. Besides I found that when I tried on my own and failed I just ended up kicking myself and going back to them and even worse. If it were me and I had to do it over again I would get some advice from a proffessional. Good luck, and don't get scared and give up. You can do it.