Notices

codeine addiction

Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

codeine addiction

didnt think codeine was enough of an addiction to worry about, but I done got addicted to this sh*t and am (supposedly) taking an alarming amount of pills.

I think on saturday I took 60+ (t1's) 8mg codeine.

I know its not a potent opiate but i got me a problem now and it aint goin away.

On work days I take about 25 t1's

I go to NA but it's not enough, now.

I get so sick from this stuff. (never mind the codeine)..there is 325mg of tylenol in each pill.
60+ t1's = near 20,000 mg of tylenol = a screwed liver.

started with 5-10 a day but ...

oh yeah, I've been trying to offset the sickness by abusing my antipsycotics for sleep, but i think I'm making it worse
Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really would suggest speaking to your doctor. You don't want your liver to keep getting damaged. I'm worried about that as well, but they did liver panels on me in Sept, and they said they were ok.

I would really suggest speaking to your doctor about a taper, or going cold turkey and getting some meds to detox with at home.. I don't know if I could do a detox in a facility. I would prefer to go cold turkey at home.

I'm currently working on a taper. My DOC is Oxycodone. I was also on Morphine extended release 60mg twice a day. I cut that out completely. I went down from 10-12 and sometimes up to 20 pills a day 10/325 down to 4 a day. I'm not suggesting you do this on your own. Visit your health care provider. Hopefully you will have one that is understanding. Please make sure that you are on the lookout for signs of APAP overdose.

Good luck, and PM me if you want to talk.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do go see your Dr, DS. ASAP.
Work out a taper, check on your liver....and connect with whoever you have to at NA.

You can beat this too.
D
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you. You guys are very kind to respond to me.

I have to be blunt though. A taper isnt going to happen. I tried it but the taper went in reverse.
i tried ct cant seem too do it either.

cold water extraction is safer but digs a deeper hole.

treatment centre maybe?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you know you can't do CT or a taper then call detox centers.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll find something in this link to help, J.

Drug & alcohol rehab treatment centers: Canadian Drug Rehab Centres

D
Old 11-23-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sweetie, you KNOW you're killing your liver...this isn't your first go-round. I think a treatment center is a good start, preferably a dual-diagnosis one so you can deal with the other stuff.

I was just thinking about you, the other day, and wondering how you were doing. PLEASE get help before it's too late, okay?

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're right Amy.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((J))) - yes I am. You've been a dear friend to me, for years, and I'm selfish enough to say I don't want to lose you to this damned addiction. You're a great guy...you just need help in getting to feel that way about yourself.

I've got to go to work, will be back later.

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-25-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The recommended acetaminophen allowance daily for an adult is not to exceed 4 grams (or 4000 mg) a day. I hope you can stop. In my ICU, we have seen many people (even younger people) with liver issues. Cirrhosis, esophageal varices, pancreatitis, multi-system organ failure: these are just some of the issues we see quite a bit. Often times, these are our sickest and most pain ridden patients. Take care to protect your liver now! It is such an important organ. I hope this didn't come off as preachy, I have only been without alcohol for four days myself. We can do it!!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey dreamscape - how are things? - i hope ur gettin the help u deserve - thinkin of u ..Karma
Old 11-28-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I keep going to NA meetings, waiting for a break in work to go to treatment.

I was so freaking sick yesterday...dont know if it was from too much tylenol or from codeine withdrawal, so i took more codeine and then (stupidly) took my regular
(before bedtime pills) before the meeting.
I thought taking them early would help the sickness to go away, but it didn't.

My "wonderful" idea just wasted me. It was a horrible high.
I just wanted to curl up in a ball on the floor (at the NA meeting) and go to sleep.

quite frankly I'm scared to get clean, but i know this feeling is probably distorted

Thanks Karma very much for checking in on me
Old 11-29-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((J))) - one of these days the combination of stuff you're taking is going to kill you. You've already come pretty darned close, and that hasn't stopped you.

You know you're going to be sick coming off that stuff, PLEASE stop trying to put off the inevitable. I don't want to lose you. You've done it before, you can do it again.

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hey dreamscape
amy is right.. And i'm sure she isn't the only one here who values you.. I'm a bit worried to .. codeine is one thing but in the form of tylenol makes a huge ask of your body.. I'm really writing this cos i just want you to know that you are worth a whole lot ..2 a whole heap of people.. I've been through a bit.. And it wasn't easy.. Please try to ask for the help you need.. There are people wanting you to choose life.. I don't care if that's corny its the truth.. Thinking of you xxx karma
Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

J
You have so many friends here, so many people who love you here and elsewhere - you're too valuable to end up a statistic, man.

Whatever it takes, whatever options you have for help and treatment - do it and do it as soon as possible.

D
Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys for caring. This is my second day of tappering back by 2/3 rd's.
I am sick and shakey ,but not throwing up sick.

I was going to blow off the meeting tonight but will go anyway. I'm so tired of feeling sick.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((J))) Thank you, for continuing to try. You'll get there, sweetie, and you'll stay there...in recovery. I have faith in you. Just don't take too long, okay? Be careful.

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

4th day of tapering and i'm doing ok. From 60 t1's to 20 per day.

Got some wonderful news concerning my friend. She is now cancer free!
I thank God!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((J)))- OMG, that is AWESOME news!!!! Prayers have most definitely been answered.

I'm glad you're doing well with the tapering. Please keep it up, and keep checking in. You KNOW I'm a "mama hen" and get worried when I don't hear from you

Love, hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

brilliant news Joe about your friend gettin the all clear.. so the next good piece sounds like it may just come from you - i know how hard it is to taper.. then wd a lil - its same old on that front but a new life ahead... we r here for you... xxx