Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT) effective for several disorders

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just wanted to post some information about DBT because I don't see much here on SR about it.

My 16 yr old daughter has been going thru a very rough time including self-injury and suicidal ideation. We've been searching high and low for an effective treatment (therapy, medication, etc) and think we've finally found the combination that's going to work well. DBT is the critical component.

If you've never heard of it or done any research, I encourage you to do so... here are some articles to provide an overview.

Treatment of BPD using DBT

Dialectical behavior therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is DBT | Behavioral Tech, LLC

http://www.bpdcentral.com/pdf/dbt_from_BEYOND.pdf

Be well. (((Hugs)))
Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I actually bought "The DBT Skills Workbook" by Matthew McKay while I was living with my husband and he was actively drinking. It's a self-help book and seems pretty good. I really liked that a lot of it is based on mindfulness. But I didn't get that far into it (only got through the first couple of chapters)... I have a hard time consistently working through this stuff on my own... I think I kinda need a weekly therapy appt. or someone to talk this over with on a regular basis that keeps me going. But maybe I should give it another try once I have more time!

Glad you found something that works for your daughter, tjp
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I went through the DBT program. It's been tremendous in helping me manage my mental illness (borderline personality disorder.)

Like any therapy, you get what you put in. I was in therapy three times a week for a year and a half. Took a lot of time and effort but it's been paying off.