Notices

Texas Magnum

Old 11-22-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Texas Magnum

(Hello, this is a post from a dear family member of mine, he cannot write it himself)

I asked my family member to come find a site like this and post for me, because I am in prison, for drug use. This name, Texas Magnum, is the name I use on a blog too, about being in Texas prison, that my family member helps me with. It is where I write about my recovery, and my plans to stay clean once I have this behind me.

I just wanted to find another place to share my thoughts on, and if you answer I can get the answers mailed to me and will respond back. So, that whole process takes a while, but it helps me a lot. I have already changed so much in the 4 months I have been incarcerated. Although I am behind bars, I have not felt this free in a long time, because there is no needle in my arm.

I am proud of all of you trying to get clean without having to take the drastic step that I did and become a convicted felon, but I am not ashamed of my past because it is why I am who I am today.

I have abused just about all the substances you can abuse, but at the time of my arrest I was using heroin and meth intravenously. I am now clean and sober and it feels great, I am enjoying writing so much, and reading a lot too. I feel that my life has a lot of hope again.

I wish you all the best and hope to hear from any of you.
Peace ~ Texas Magnum
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Texas Magnum)) - welcome to SR! I've done a lot of drugs, too, but crack was my demon. I also spent time in jail, though not prison, but was lucky to not have a felony (I was a first offender).

I don't regret my past, either, because I've become a way better person. Do you have NA/AA meetings in prison? I know they help a lot of people.

Prison can be our bottom, but it takes work and, IMO, some solid support when you get OUT to not return to the life we lived. I get that support from SR and a few f2f people.

When I got out, and was faced with all the consequences of my using, I was pretty angry and bummed. I was told (by several people here) to make a gratitude list. Being so down, my very first gratitude list was short...."I'm grateful I have a soft bed and pillow", said through clenched teeth, because, as you know, bunks in state facilities are anything BUT soft. I kept at it, though, and my list grew longer and longer.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Amy, I am going to pass your message on to Texas Magnum. Thank you so much for reaching out, and congratulations on your continued path to sobriety.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you Texas Magnum - and friend

D
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Texas,

My son followed a similar path. He spent time in prison and got clean. He also says he doesn't have regrets, because his past has made him who he is today. Being out has been a big adjustment for him and he still struggles. He can't find a job and he has realized he can't hang with his old friends. (When he uses he goes crazy and breaks the law.) His recovery program seems to be "fear and isolation." While it has kept him clean for over a year, I hope and pray that he can add some positive things to that mix and enjoy the second chance he's been given at life. I hope your transition is easier when you are released.

~40
Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I found your blog site. I'm impressed with your insight and your attitude, and with the support you are getting from your family member. Hang in there.

I got addicted to Meth in the late seventies, early 80s. By the grace of God, I kicked that addiction, but it was 6 more years before I was totally drug free. At times I regret those "lost" years, but most of the time I feel as you do, that I'm the person I am now because of what I had gone through. Still, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm on SR for my drinking, which has occupied over 30 years of my life. I'm 54 and "clean" and its never too late.

Blessings to you and your family.

P.S. I have a Texas connection...when to high school in Corpus Christi.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Man, thank you all for the words of encouragement, I am not texas magnum but the person who can post for him and who sends stuff to him, I am sending on these messages, and really appreciate them. He has had a few rough days, some extra stresses where he is incarcerated and lots of urges to use and doubting himself and his ability to make sobriety work for him. He can use the words of encouragement. Thanks again!! I will be back soon.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Maybe you could post the link to Texasmagnum's blog. I think a lot of folks here would be encouraged by him. I can't imagine what the young man is going through; my thoughts go out to him. May he find the strength to battle through and remain clean.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would like to post it but I am new here so I want to make sure it's not against the rules so I don't get booted off.

Basically if you put these five words in a google search all the top results are his site:
in texas prison texas magnum

Meanwhile, I guess I will see if I can post it or add it as my signature or something.

Texas Magnum is getting transferred on Friday and will be out of touch for about 2 weeks but he is mailing a packet with a bunch of stuff for me to post for him on his site until he gets to his next spot.

He is a little stressed about the move, that is the worse part, having to go to a new place and go through the introduction process again (aka finding out who are the ok correctional officers and inmates, and who isnt, finding out if your bunk mate is ok or not, and probably having to have a fight or two as part of the incoming process. That is pretty common) I just finished up a letter that I hope gets there quick before he goes, and it has all of your nice encouraging comments, thanks so much, it means a lot during a difficult time.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have rules against people posting their own blog links on the boards or in sigs, yeah....

but you can make the blog your homepage if you like, TM...it will be in the drop down menu under your name then.

D
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OK, I added it as my homepage. Does anyone know why it's against the rules? It seems like it could be valuable to share those sorts of things. Just curious...

Thanks, all - great forum! I am glad I found it.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sent you a PM

D
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I know a man who was arrested in Co. for soooo many meth charges. He was facing 12 years, (maybe he was sentenced to that? Not positive) he did 7 years,

He is out and doing great and has a whole new meaning of himself. He always was a great guy with a huge heart...he just also had a huge drug problem.

I hope this experience changes your life in the most positive of ways!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement, I will pass this on to Texas Magnum. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I am very interested in reading more about texasmagnum.

Going to read the blog now. =)