Notices

Wellbutrin and Withdrawal

Old 11-20-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin and Withdrawal

Hello Everyone!

I have been drinking heavily for the past year. For health reasons I've decided to quit and for 2 months I've abstained from alcohol until this past week in which I have had a bottle of wine a day. I want to start taking Wellbutrin for my depression and it has been 24 hours since my last drink. Will this be ok as long as I avoid alcohol while taking it? Or will there be potential withdrawal danger?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know of any correlation between starting an antidepressant, and that causing withdrawal symptoms from alcohol.

What I do know is antidepressants didn't work for me for a long time because I was actively drinking while taking them.

Alcohol is a depressant, plain and simple. Throw that on top of pre-existing depression, and it's not a good combo.

Do you have a plan in place for long-term sobriety?

I address my mental health issues through the mental health community of professionals.

I address my alcoholism through AA.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marlowe

We can't give you medical advice here - it's against our rules.

If the documentation you get with your meds is no help, it's best to consult your doctor, I think.

D
Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I am actively focusing on staying sober. I was drinking a lot this year in large part due to my depression and anxiety. It obviously only made everything worse. I am now seeing doctors and beginning therapy as well
as attending AA for extra support.

I was mainly worried about the wellbutrin due to its increased potential for seizures so I held off. I think at the low dose I will be taking that danger is minimal though. Hopefully, taking it will help as part of a multifaceted process
of recovery.