Notices

Codeine Addiction: Overview Progress.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine Addiction: Overview Progress.

I am currently battling a Codeine Addiction, i have been taking Tylenoyl 3 (although i know not anywhere near as strong as other opiates) for an ongoing 10 years each day. I take roughly about 300 miligrams a day.

I really want to quit and i have wanted to for awhile, but it seems the only time i want to quit is when im out of it and cannot get other resources, and then i go cold turkey (Mostly because i am forced) and the second they come around im on it like a shark that smells blood.

Since i take so many of them it seems to happen every month like clockwork where i have them for the first 2 weeks of the month, just to go through withdrawal for the next two weeks until the presciption is filled again.

It has literally been happening like this for countless years, and EVERYTIME im at the 2 week mark CLEAN, thats when the script comes around again and i always find myself diving in it.

I feel like im living some modern day GroundHog Day Movie (If you seen the movie, you will know what i mean)where everyday is the same, either im high on Codeine, or im sick and don't feel like doing anything and am literally impossible to live with.

And yet again here i find myself out of medicine and have to wait until the 5th of next month to get them again, which i know will be a horrible 2 and a half weeks to deal with, it always is..Im not sure why i even take this anymore as this always happens.

So here i am, Im sick of living like this, and im not gonna lie, i am forced right now with no means to get any Codeine even if i wanted too, but im just sick and tired of living this ridiculous cycle, and i really just wanna for once KEEP GOING CLEAN and not jump back..it's not even worth it anymore, i don't even really get high (Maybe the first day 2 weeks after i take it, then thats it) just to be sick again for another 2 weeks..It's absurd.

Im here because i really wanna make more of an effort to stop, and to discontinue living this life of either feeling high or sick, i wanna be on somewhat of a straight line, and i honestly cannot afford financially to do this anymore.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, it is to express my feelings to everyone, and also to myself trying to have it sink in that this HAS TO STOP..I will provide daily posts with each day as it goes, as a record for myself, and for anyone else that is curious, and this is also for someone wondering the withdrawal symptoms on a day to day view point of what you may expirience and when it will subside.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1:

I do not really feel sick or anything yet, as i usually do not at this point, it's usually by day 2 where it hits me then 3 where it really hits, but right now nothing to report, just more or less stressing in my mind "Oh my god i got 2 and a half weeks to go with nothing, what am i gonna do?" other then that, a slight stomach discomfort, a little sweaty, but that is all at this time. I have not done too much today or had any energy really, had a light meal, and stayed in my room watching tv or playing some video games to get my mind off it, as i feel i should get used to this for a little while with how im gonna feel.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! The type of opiate you are taking is irrelevant for the most part....codeine is converted to morphine when you ingest it, anyway. Speak with your doctor and follow their advice! We all need help to recover.....covering yourself medically, then check out a 12-step group. It doesn't matter if we get our fix in a posh bar, out of a Rx bottle, or shooting up under a bridge, the solution is the same!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. < - Been there done that.

Welcome to the board and congrats on the focus towards recovery. Remember, we are only as sick as our secrets.

Once the withdrawals abate the real work begins. Given any thought as to how this time will be different? I was out there for many years abusing any and all opiates at near lethal levels. I'd run out, go through the Hell of withdrawal, vow that I would never do that again and pick up right where I left off. Sure, I could stop, I just couldn't stay stopped. I didn't have a plan of recovery. The first thing I did I rid myself of all my connections. I let my doctor-s know about my problem.

I highly advise that you seek outside help. Have you given any thought to attending NA? Think about going for the support. We are there to help you and know exactly what you are feeling right now; no one here or there is unique. We all have the same story to tell.

Stay strong and vigilant; this disease wants you back. Better still, it wants you dead.

Keep posting; we are here to help.
TB
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(My apologies for not posting yesterday, i was in bed most of the day)

Day 2:

I really noticed the stomach cramps comming on, and as the fatigue and very powerful cravings to use again, also still have the sweating going on, and irritability, and i slept about 4 hours last night, so insomnia has also drifted back in the picture. My mind keeps playing the same review over and over "December 5th..december 5th..oh my god that is so long away" It's been hard to concentrate on anything, usually i can go maybe an hour doing something until the mental reviews start to come back at me. Im also starting to sneeze and have a runny nose, and im getting hot and cold flashes, and a little muscle aches here and there. I feel it's hitting me more mentally then anything, if that makes any sense?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 3:

I am having all of the above symptoms but to a more harder degree, especially the aches in my body, hot and cold flashes and now the restless leg syndrom. I slept again 4 hours last night, and this time kept waking up in between trying to force myself to sleep, but then i just kept laying there after the 4 hours and could not whatsoever continue sleeping, and the diarhea has finally made it's appeareance as well. I noticed it's very hard to get comfortable, or to concentrate on anything else other then using, and being "normal" again, but i know i was never normal since i started taking this all the time, and these are the results to show me this. I feel like im in my own mental jail, if that makes sense? Nothing i do or can do will make me comfortable. I have noticed taking a few aspirin has helped with the aches a little and help with my body temperture warming up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if i sound like im being over drastic in my withdrawal, im just stating how i feel, maybe others do not feel as bad, or have felt much worse
Thank you for your replys, and i understand you have all gone through this which is why im here, to gain knowledge of how to fight this in a better chance of me succeeding.

I have considered NA for awhile now and perhaps when i can muster to get out of bed, that will be my next course of action, and i do agree i gotta somehow just have the balls to just cut off my suply once and for all, as nothing will ever change and it will always be this way. It is a little difficult as where i live practically my whole household other then myself get's prescription narcotics and is more then willing to share.

But again, i realize i have to do something about it, except for making excuses saying "its always in my face" does not mean i need to take it..i do only take mine as i could get percocet right now but i do not want to go up the ladder anymore, and to me personally, its either take something every day or not at all, thats just how my addictive personality is, but believe me it's tempting feeling like this.

Just a question please, i have been using as i stated for 10 years everyday (usually 2 to 2 and a half weeks everyday then run out for like a week or two the most then i get it then i run out, etc..etc..anyhow On a 300 miligram yearly dosage of codeine, does anyone have any idea when this witjdrawal will atleast start to become tolerable (or perhaps when i may notice it easing?)where i can function (I know i wont be normal for awhile) But atleast be able to conduct myself without hiding from the world in my room miserable not wanting to talk to anyone? I hate being like this, im not usually so distant. But i have become a moody grouch, and literally turn my phone off to not talk to anyone , and just wanna be alone. Any idea's of how long this may last would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ramza

We ask that our members not ask for, or give, medical advice at SR.

I suggest the best person to ask about withdrawal and successful tapering would be a medical professional.

I think it would also be beneficial to you to have a thorough physical exam to assess the effects of 10 years use of something like Tylenol3.

D
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Its not so much of the symptomology as you may have said. The withdraws are painful and can disturb any attempts to quit. The main focus is the will to either continue with a horrid addiction, be stuck in the everlasting cycle of mental masturbation wondering the minute aspects of how did this get to the point of undesirable suffering...or what course of action will I take to get out of this mess.

I see you are past the discovery phase. Now comes the time of direct action. Yea it gets to this point rather quick...sorry but here it is.

Ask yourself; what is my plan to stop, who will I enlist to help me, what do I need to do in order to be safe, What are the resources I have that will aid me, I'm here at SR, will I continue to seek support, Zencat is a @sshole but he wants me to to get well, I am willing to do everything within my means to practice recovery principles.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate your kind words, and i apologise for writting 10 page posts Lol, im sure you all know what withdrawal is so you don't need to know about it.
And i agree, except for just wondering when the withdrawal is gone i should focus on how to quite indefinatly.

I also agree that with me anyway it is more of a mental addiction then anything, as i have proven to myself numerous times that i can beat the physical symptoms, but i could never beat the emotional ones..Thanks, you gave me alot to think about. And as for this forum i think very highly of it, and i think is essential to have some sort of support except for everyone doing drugs in your face, it sure helps being around sober people.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey post as much as you like - everyone is different heh and i celebrate the lil things..i have to ask - why do you not stop the script after having gone through 2 weeks - pls ask your doc - alot of people get stuck in a cycle of thinking ..its not worth it.. it is worth it but after having habits long term it takes a while to change the thinkin - i hope you put yourself in the no 1 position - keep us posted i've been coming here 2 yrs and still find gold nuggets - i am a heroin addict - i am clean today...but i know how tough it can be -
wishing you lots of luck
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ramza - I know this thread is a bit old, but hope you are out there.
Did you ever buy your codeine on the internet? My story is so much like yours, 2 wks off and 2 on waiting for the order in the mail from UK to arrive in my PO Box . . wore out the car going to the PO every day? Suffering from the standard symptoms when off and trying to justify spending the $ and ordering again and again.

Hpe you are well . . I am 30 days clean but have struggled with RX pills/opiates for years and only used codeine these past few years due to easy availability and no interest in doctor shopping or buying off streets. I am mid-50's and would not know where to start that venture!