Notices

Fioricet and Suboxone

Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gro

Fioricet and Suboxone

Hello. I'm new here. I have suffered from debilitating daily headaches for all of my adult life. I was first prescribed opiates like Vicodin, Percocet, Darvocet...and I kept upping the dose to help the increasing pain (which I now know is from rebound headaches). After several years, I wanted to get off the pills, so I was put on the Fentanyl patch for 3 years (which took months to withdraw from and was the worst experience of my life...I was on 50mcg, and that was my neurologist's way of getting me off the other opiates!).

A few months after being off the Fentanyl, I started up again with Vicodin, Percocet, Lortab, or Darvocet....anything I could get. When I was in over my head, I went to a headache clinic for a few weeks and got off the meds. This cycle continued a few times.

Finally I heard about Suboxone. I have been on it for a few years, and I love that I have no craving for the other stuff. However, I still had daily headaches. So I started taking Fioricet. I am currently on 12mg of Suboxone per day and I take 13-15 Fioricets a day. I've lost a lot of weight, and I never weighed much to begin with.

Can anybody tell me if the weight loss is likely from the Suboxone, or is it from the Fioricet? Or maybe it's just from the stress of being in this viscious cycle for about 15 years. I am going to seek help to get off the Fioricet, and I am considering tapering off the Suboxone but I'm scared of getting cravings again. But for now I just want to know which med is causing the weight loss.

Thank you for listening, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, gro! Your questions should be directed to your doc, none of us can counsel you about your meds.

I suffered headaches in the past, but used them as an excuse to obtain narcotics from multiple-docs. Recovery certainly doesn't make us immune to pain, or to the need for pain meds, but we need to be honest with our doc(s) so we don't jump back into addictive use.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gro 13 to 15 Fioricet a day does you Dr know this Im not judging you but just know the cet in fioricet is acetaminophen and is horrible for your liver I would check on that could be the cause of the weight loss.good luck with those headaches I have suffered and I know it sucks
Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gro

Thank you for your replies. Yes, my doctor knows about the meds I am on. He is slowly tapering my off the Fioricet. I do know that the "cet" means Acetaminophen is in them, and that is a major concern. I get my blood checked often, and 2 months ago was my last check. All was ok, including my liver. So that is not the reason for my weight loss, thankfully.

Anyway, I know that my doctor should know all of this, and until recently I was afraid to tell him. But now that I did I feel hopeful that I will be able to taper off the Fioricet. However, I was just curious if any of you have experienced weight loss from Fioricet.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Gro not sure about the weight did you ask the Dr.? or google it