Notices

Weight gain after stimulant abuse

Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight gain after stimulant abuse

I have been off Adderall for about 9 months.

In those 9 months I can not believe how much weight I have gained. I am disgusted. I am 5'7 at my lowest point I was 125 pounds but I did look awful. Right now lets just say I have gained OVER 25 pounds that amount. I don't think I look huge; but I don't look thin.

It doesn't help that I do take Seroquel a weight gainer; but without Seroquel I will not sleep. I don't eat that much either. My doctor did start me on Topamax to counteract some of this weight gain.

I don't think there are many ex-stimulant abusers on this board that are women; but if there are any; have you gone through the same thing after stopping stimulants?

I don't think I'll ever make it back to my ideal weight..
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

I would say my DOC, crack, is a stimulant, lol. I can definitely tell you I've experienced weight gain since getting sober. It's unavoidable. But honestly, it feels healthy and the last thing I'm gonna do right now is beat myself up over a few extra pounds while my sobriety is going so strong.

Now pass that cheese danish my way
Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I put on a lot of weight while taking Zyprexa. My pdoc put me on Topamax and it helped me lose a significant amount of weight so hopefully you have the same experience. I also get a moderate amount of exercise i.e hiking with my dog etc. and take vitamins and eat a balanced diet.
Well done on your clean time! Keep it up!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Cardio, baby, cardio. Low carb and low sugar diet. In order for a woman to MAINTAIN weight she has to do an hour of cardio a day. Go sweat them buns. If I can do it....anybody can do it.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've gone from 125 - 150 (5' 5") a US 4 to a US 8. I am not pleased but everyone always comments that I look much better since I am not so corpse-like! There is light in my eyes now, and I think that is more sexy than a number on a scale. That said, I have stablized my weight and am being more careful to lose it slowly. But I am still making sure to enjoy all that food that used to make me queezy- just less of it with more excercise! xxxx
Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For SIGNIFICANT weight LOSS I might suggest an hour cardio a day, otherwise I think that's too severe a regimen in this circumstance. I really do feel that moderation and balance in all areas is key.
This isn't about getting ripped and lean it's about getting healthy again isn't it?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no expert but the recommended guideline in my country is still 30 mins a day - unless you're fit, it's probably best to check with your dr or medical professional if you want to exceed that.

Like Rowan said, it's about health and balance first and foremost - or it should be, right?

D
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizrox View Post
I have been off Adderall for about 9 months.

In those 9 months I can not believe how much weight I have gained. I am disgusted. I am 5'7 at my lowest point I was 125 pounds but I did look awful. Right now lets just say I have gained OVER 25 pounds that amount. I don't think I look huge; but I don't look thin.
First, congratulations on stopping the Adderall. That's fantastic.

Weight gain is very common after quitting stimulants. I know it can be very frustrating but you should avoid regarding yourself with disgust. I know it's easier said than done to not be negative about your weight gain, but try to focus on the physical features you're proud of, or your improved health resulting from absence of amphetamine. I really think that you will get used to your new weight and it will feel acceptable to you. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the replies.

I really should focus on the fact that I should be proud that I am clean of a drug that was literally killing me.

My weight isn't that bad. I just am not at the weight I would like to be; but looking back at pictures; I looked awful when I was 125 lbs; I'm 5'7..

Eating in moderation and excercise should do it. hopefully the Topamax too.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 133 right now, which is the most I have weighed not pregnant (I am only 5' tall, so no, I'm not as skinny as that sounds).

I wrote a blog about this subject(with before and after pics!) today, actually.
PM me for the URL.

I am happy with the way I look, and will continue to eat right and exercise, not to lose weight, but to feel good and be healthy.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-12-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Onewithwings-- your before and after are amazing... you look great now. So much healthier..