Notices

Mental illness and Addiction

Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental illness and Addiction

We all talk about self medicating and how addiction causes depression and other mental illness. I worry about people who are more than just addicts and need professional help for real mental illness. Since I got sober my depression and anxiety have been non-existent...lucky me.

I worry that someone who is sober and still suffering from mental illness does not benefit from SR and other supper groups and in fact might be hurt by them because they do not get professional help, relying instead upon their groups.

Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I see a lot of support here - for everyone - and where appropriate that support includes recommendations people seek professional help....none of us are doctors or therapists.

But ultimately, what other people do is beyond my control.

D
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I dunno... I read a lot of posts recommending counseling and/or shrinks and so on. Lots of people post about problems that sound like depression or anxiety and a lot of times others will recommend that they see a mental health professional to be checked out for possible depression or whatever.

There's also a lot of support in the mental health forums. It seems to me, as an alcoholic with bad depression and anxiety, that my alcoholism might have been 'brought about' by the mental health issues, causing me to 'medicate' my difficulties to excess, making the mental health issues a lot worse.

I've noticed that tho the depression and anxiety are a lot better now that I'm sober, they're still not entirely gone. But boy oh boy, just staying sober does me a world of good and doesn't cause more depression/anxiety.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....
When my doctor diagnosed me with situational depression
he suggested AA. I went....within a few weeks
it lessened immensley.....by the end of 2 months.....
had vanished.....without meds.

My experience only.....
and I often suggest members seek professional advice
for both physical and mental concerns.

SR is for peer support....we can not diagnose what
anyone needs for medical or mental issues.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I suffer from depression (and sometimes anxiety), I'm sober, and I benefit greatly from SR. I see a therapist and I take prescribed meds. I use all the tools I have to stay as well as I possibly can.

I don't think recovery groups hurt, but I do think mental illness is not taken seriously enough. I wish there was more awarness about depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc. I thought that once I got sober the bad thoughts and feelings would go away. It got a lot worse. I was in denial that I was suffering from depression.

I got help. I still need SR, though. I can't separate the depression from the addiction--the two feed off of one another. SR helps for the addiction side of things and even sometimes with the depression. The therapy is mainly for depression, but at times I talk about addiction. I'm not explaining this well, but I'm tired.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My mental illness cannot be treated alone by the mutual support self-help program variety. I've tried that rout and it almost killed me. I'm sure the lay people that attend groups like that mean well but, some of the suggestion I have heard in meetings can be fatal to people like myself. That's why I need a reality check and get that from professionals over at the mental health clinic. True, self-help groups can be a good addition to my treatment program but to rely on then alone is a recipe for disaster...been there...done that.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

Much so. I had problems with mental illness many years before I had problems with alcohol, even before I'd ever tried alcohol. I was a self-medicator and though I can't say for certain I don't believe I'd have been able to maintain much sobriety just through AA alone. Getting psychological therapy and AA both work to keep me from drinking and from problems caused by my illness.

It's sort of as if one suffers from a chronic pain issue and drank to alleviate it, even if they become sober they still ought to treat the pain as well.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I smoked pot for awhile (and yes, I have a pretty low opinion of that now).

But here's what happened when I received medications for my mental illness: as soon as they kicked in and started working, the next time I smoked pot I hated it. I hated the way it felt and couldn't wait for it to wear off.

So it seems pretty apparent that my brain was needing feel better chemicals and I really didn't understand that but used a so-called recreational drug to try to change my head to feeling better.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a mental mess without my meds and professional help and I believe that anyone in recovery whether with mental illness or not can benefit greatly from the site. Support is support, and mental illness is irrelevant in benefiting. I think we may even benefit more so than people without any mental illness because it's therapeutic for us.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I noticed this post and wanted to comment. I have a son who has both mental illness and addiction issues (dual diagnosis or co-occuring conditions). From all the information I've read and gained from psychologists and psychiatrists, if a person has a dual diagnosis the symptons need to be treated simultaneously. The 12 step programs are excellant to help with addiction issues but as others have pointed out if you have also have a mental illness it needs to be treated with therapy and possibly medications.

Whether the mental illness causes the drug addiction or the drug addiction causes the mental illness is still up for debate, and it might be different for each individual, but where both exist, both need treating.

There is actually a dual-recovery 12 step program, if anyone were interested. However it also does not take the place of getting proper medical help for the mental illness.

There are other resources for mental health out there, two I use are NAMI and DBSA.

This is a very good topic and I'm glad it was brought up.

I'm also very glad that those of you who commented that when you notice someone is depressed or has other types of mental illness that you recommend they seek professional help in addition to the 12 step programs.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have in the past self medicated...with alcohol and mostly stimulant drugs like cocaine..I was diagnosed with bipolar and since taking my meds,seeing my doc...practicing meditation and living well I feel wonderful....it feels like I have been reborn again... before seeking help my life was a mess...I was a mess....my dui made me realize that I needed help.....and at almost 9 months sober I will by the grace of God never go back!!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Table. Proportion Expressing Negative Attitudes Toward Mental Illness in 2006

Attitude Schizophrenia, % Alcohol Dependence, % Major Depression, %
Unwilling to work closely with 62 74 47
Unwilling to socialize with 52 54 30
Unwilling to have marry into family 69 79 53
Unwilling to have as a neighbor 45 39 20
Old 10-23-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anewday
There are other resources for mental health out there, two I use are NAMI and DBSA.
Thanks Anewday for the DBSA heads up, haven't heard of them before. I'm a secular person and don't benefit from 12-Step programs (like the people in meetings not the program) so I'm looking to find new programs with meetings that I can fit into.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Funny this post would come out now at this point in my life. Found out I'm a high-functiong autistic, with Schitziod personnality disorder. Swell. Add the booze & dope, I was a totally insane for 30+ years. It's managable now that I have I cleaned up, but people such as I CANNOT or use drugs- not even weed, which I used to think was harmless.

Last edited by mikefreak; 10-23-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-24-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have Attention Deficit Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder (So basically, if I am acting crazy, you can distract me with something shiny )

I am on meds for BPD, but not for ADD, so it is a little hard on me sometimes. Even sober, I forget what I am talking about in the middle of a conversation 7-8 times a day, am a distracted driver (My husband drives if we go someplace together, and I can not transport my 2yo son, I only drive myself).

I am learning to live with it, though. I haven't tried medication for it because my first drug abuse was my ritalin in middle school.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dismember

Anewdaytosmile,

I haven't been in AA for a very long time, but I've been getting the impression that the program as a whole is becoming a lot more aware and educated on mental illnesses. There is a lot of encouragement for people to get psychological help as well as the steps. I still come across a stubbon-a## now and then who swears medications are just another drug to get high off of and seeing a therapist means you're doing AA right, but I hope they're a dying breed.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anewdaytosmile View Post
I noticed this post and wanted to comment. I have a son who has both mental illness and addiction issues (dual diagnosis or co-occuring conditions). From all the information I've read and gained from psychologists and psychiatrists, if a person has a dual diagnosis the symptons need to be treated simultaneously. The 12 step programs are excellant to help with addiction issues but as others have pointed out if you have also have a mental illness it needs to be treated with therapy and possibly medications.

Whether the mental illness causes the drug addiction or the drug addiction causes the mental illness is still up for debate, and it might be different for each individual, but where both exist, both need treating.

There is actually a dual-recovery 12 step program, if anyone were interested. However it also does not take the place of getting proper medical help for the mental illness.

This is a very good topic and I'm glad it was brought up.

I'm also very glad that those of you who commented that when you notice someone is depressed or has other types of mental illness that you recommend they seek professional help in addition to the 12 step programs.
My husband has a dual diagnosis. Bipolar and alcoholic/addict. When we met he was in recovery. A back injury and narcotics for said injury began the 13year problem. I have so many questions really but it seems you said one doesn't know necessarily which came first, mental illness or addiction. Do you know if addictive medications whether for bipolar or pain make the bipolar symptoms worse? I am still looking into this. My husband is currently seeking treatment but after 13 years of watching how he works, how his diseases work I'm not convinced he gets that addictive medications, even if prescribed by a psychiatrist are not good for him. This I read in a book by Jeff and Debra Jay (from Hazeldon) I guess I am really looking for good information facts on dealing with mental illness and addiction and I don't feel his doctor has a full understanding of this. Not trying to be disrespectful but she did prescribe valium, highly addictive, after I questioned wether it should be given to someone who is an addict. Anyone with good facts I would be grateful.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hello courageoushope,

It's not that we don't want to help, but SR has strict rules regarding anyone dispensing medical advice (and for good reason I think.) You'll have to ask your health care provider for details about that.

What I can tell you is that I have been on medication, prescribed by a psychiatrist, that made my condition worse than it was before. It's a good idea to tell your prescriber about any concerns regarding medication. That's the only way they really know what to do.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi courageoushope

Isaiah's right - it wouldn't be in your, or your husbands, best interest to get that kind of information here, even if it was within the rules. None of us are doctors and none of us know your husbands clinical history.

If your husbands not happy with his doctor, please encourage him to find another one

D
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As a dual-diagnosis person in recovery I do get Ativan (a benzodiazepine) from my Psych Dr. to treat my panic attacks. I get a low dose and I take the medication as prescribed. However Ativan is a drug with a high potential for abuse so I'm very careful not to abuse it. I value my sobriety enough so that I am not willing to take any chances with it. The Ativan is an very important medication because it has helped when all other medications I have been on failed to effectively treat my panic symptoms.

Anywho that's just my experience. I have known other dual-diagnosis persons that have abused their benzodiazepine med's and have relapsed. Being under a doctors close supervision is always best.