Notices

Help Needed!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Help Needed!!!

Hello Everyone,

I’m kind of confused on how this website works but I’m learning. I want to talk to people who have been down that long hard road of detox, relapse, and recovery. I can’t seem to get out of this circle. I want to get out but as you know it is very hard. I don’t know what to do anymore. My family is here for me but they just don’t know what to do to help me anymore. They haven’t been in my shoes so it’s hard to know what I’m going through. My fiancée found this site for me and I will try anything or a way to get over this. I pray that I can get more help and support from someone here.

If anyone has got some advice for me please let me know, I will definitely try anyway I can to get clean. I want to change and be a better person before it’s too late.

My addiction is pain pills and benzos.

James1
Old 09-21-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Soberrecovery! My family supports me in my recovery and they are not addicts. True they can't know what I went through when I got clean, so I found other who did in Narcotics Anonymous. Now I am a member of NA and I am grateful to have some time in recovery now. I found some NA meetings through the help of an intensive outpatient program. I went to as many meetings as I could. The people in NA showed me a new way to live. NA is a program for learning. Try it if you haven't yet. Do you know how to find a meeting near you?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hi James, welcome to SR!!

So you want to talk with folks who have been where you've been? Well, here at the SR NA forum is a pretty good start. In my experience, family can be a great source for support, but family can only go so far...they just don't understand or relate on a deeper level. More often than not, their concern is your safety - as well as their own.

In Narcotics Anonymous we focus on recovery from the disease of addiction - not just getting off of drugs. What drugs we used or became addicted to aren't the most important issue...like Missy said, recovery in NA is about learning how to live...a new way to live.

Sure....regardless of the substance, we've been where you're at...and we've found a way out!! And if you want what we've got you're going to have to be willing to do what we've done...and I'm talking about attending meetings, getting a sponsor, working the steps and helping others. SR is a good place to start - we share our problems and solutions here.

But if you want to get the most out of recovery, it would be best to go to meetings. You'll get out of it what you put in to it.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

People who dont suffer from addiction do not understand it!!! All your family can do to help you is support you. you are the only one who can do anything about your addiction and you have to want to. I went through the same type of thing, I was in rehab 3 times, my life was a complete mess. I lost my career and lots more and I still continued to use. The only thing that works for me is AA or NA and staying away from using friends and doing my best to realize what triggers me and not put myself in that situation. Its takes a lot of hard work but can be done! Good Luck
Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know the feeling

James.....I am 59 and have posted on the Newcomers board a couple days now didn't know my way aroun yet.
I spent 40 years of my life on one drug or another addicted to H at 19
and on Methadone for years....then on to everything else every decade and back to opiates again at 50 something (pain pills)....All these years functioning and making money but never really getting ahead. Always keeping my witts and concealing my diversions....Even from my wife of 10 years.....Then it hit the fan!....So I got on Suboxone for three years did slow detox, went to Florida and detoxed out for 10 days hold up in a buddys condo. It was terrible and went on for days and days ....when I got home and still shakey my wife said she was not in love with me anymore and wanted a divorce....I went insane and right into withdrawals again but, I have not slipped or even considered slipping even thru the most difficult time of my life....My advise... make up your mind you want out. Suboxone worked for me but it makes you a drone and all you think about is that pill to make each day livable....It works but don't stay on it too long it takes at least a month to get your senses back and sleep OK....

I feel for you young man...take it from an old druggie who lived a lot but wasted more life and money than you can imagine...You gotta quit there is no peace with that monkey clinging to your back....For the first time in my life since I was a kid I can talk to God without being ashamed of myself and my secrets...I'm a new man at 59 scared about the future and sorry for making my wife so miserable she stopped loving me but, thru it all I'm hanging on to clean...and won't go back....Do it now and finish the job or it will never end
...It's gonna hurt and you'll feel like CR#P but it will pass and you'll sleep like a baby again....hopefully in your fiance's arms.....God Bless...and stay on the board....I've been here 2 days and the support has already helped me....Hoplite

Last edited by CarolD; 10-10-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Corrected to read Newcomers board...OP shared there
Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

boo72....
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by James1 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I’m kind of confused on how this website works but I’m learning. I want to talk to people who have been down that long hard road of detox, relapse, and recovery. I can’t seem to get out of this circle. I want to get out but as you know it is very hard. I don’t know what to do anymore. My family is here for me but they just don’t know what to do to help me anymore. They haven’t been in my shoes so it’s hard to know what I’m going through. My fiancée found this site for me and I will try anything or a way to get over this. I pray that I can get more help and support from someone here.

If anyone has got some advice for me please let me know, I will definitely try anyway I can to get clean. I want to change and be a better person before it’s too late.

My addiction is pain pills and benzos.

James1
well im a new commer and i feel you i used to use pain meds like crazy
Old 04-13-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I give you permission to get MAD!!! Get angry! We are all different and we work in different ways. i was taught to be nice, act nice, look nice. After working the steps, my group told me i had permission to be MAD at the drugs at the people who helped me be addicted. i was angry at the drugs mostly, their ability to control me!! i learned to hate them and our society that pushes them on us. i learned that the drugs were my enemy and i was ready to get mad and fight. for me, being angry is better than feeling hopeless and pitiful. love yourself but see the drugs for what they are, your bitter enemy that wants you dead. refuse to let them win and know that there are many friends of Bill who have won before you. they have made the path for you to follow. trust the process. GET ANGRY!