Notices

Worried

Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried

My son just got diagnosed as bipolar. He is thirty years old. He got out of an inpatient treatment today, and seems a lot better, but not all better. His dad is getting remarried this weekend and my son plans to attend the wedding. He will be traveling for at least four days with his very angry and loud, outspoken, not too helpful brother who will probably encourage him to smoke pot and maybe drink, and his father who is an active alcoholic and who argues loudly and constantly with the brother. I wish so much he wouldn't go. I don't think it is at all where he needs to be right now. But he is thirty. He's not a child. But he has a serious illness and needs guidance and help. What do I do?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Relax. You are right...he is an adult and it's his choice to go.
I am glad he got diagnosed at his age...statistically it remains un/mis diagnosed for 8-12 years.
I am sure the treatment center gave him information on follow-up treatment and where to go for continuing treatment.
I have been reading alot of Kay Redfield Jamison. She is a foremost researcher in the field of bipolar illness.
There are books, free dvds, and support groups for family members of the bipolar person.
I would hope these would be of great help to you.
I am sort of jealous...I wish my family would ask how they could help and then educate themselves!
I have bipolar I, mixed, severe.
I was in the hospital (emergency admission) for 6 days in the latter part of June.
I am still recovering from that manic breakdown.
We are still fiddling with my meds, but it is getting better.
I know who to call if I need to and where to go for my continuing treatment.
One member of my family has completely alienated herself from my affections by her "helping"....by over controlling my life and my decisions.
I run things through with my counselor and that's my choice to do so.
I really don't want my family trying to run my life or treat my every decision like a subject for debate and discussion.
I hate being treated with less respect and as defective and I don't allow that anymore.
It harms me.
I know how to call 911.
I appreciate having people that I can just talk to and they will listen to me.
I work alot of things out this way.
I hope this helps.
I ca't really give you the perspective of the family members.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey there is no need to worry at all. as you have mentioned above now your son is better and trust me you will feel after some time that he is more better... so all you have to do is to make sure he is doing well and leave rest