Question about my mothers drinking habbits

Old 09-05-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mee

Question about my mothers drinking habbits

Hi well my mothers been drunk every evening for a few years now.
she is always worse at weekends , spending most of the time in her bedroom.

I was just wondering, how or why she drinks until she vomits, then she'll attempt to drink a few more times after being sick,which always ends with her vomiting the drink back up.

she even keeps a bucket under her bed because she knows she will be sick at some point!

This happens mainly on weekends when she drink beer , then vodka and then wine, she tends to only start being sick when she tries to down a bottle of wine.

Also it seems she uses alcohol so she can just sleep as much as possible... (unless she is working)
Old 09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Mee, and welcome to SoberRecovery

The general rule about somebody else's drinking habits is how it affects _your_ life. If it has _no_ effect on your life, then the answer is that it is not a problem. If it _does_ have an effect on your life, then it _is_ a problem.

Another general rule is that people don't wake up one morning and say "my mother has such a perfect, wonderful life that I think I'll get on the web and see if I can find information about her drinking habits" If you are here, then _something_ is causing a problem.

A good place to start is to educate yourself about alcoholism in general, and see if any of that applies to you mother in particular. There is a great deal of information in the forum "next door".

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Especialy read the "sticky" posts at the top.

Al-anon has a huge collection of books and pamphlets on the subject, and their meetings are very informtative. You can find them here

How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico

or in your phone book.

That should get you started. As you read all that material I suggested you'll have questions, so feel free to post them right here and we'll all contribute our personal experience.

There is a lot that can be done to help somebody who is struggling with alcohol, but it has to be done with the assistance of people who are experienced in these mattters. Alcohol, and other depressants, can be very dangerous if people just quit all of a sudden. Their blood pressure can go way high and cause serious harm, which is why they have hospital based detoxes.

I'm glad you decided to join us, and I hope you can find answers to your questions.

Mike
Old 09-06-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are having to watch your Mom drink like this and wonder if it is you that has to clean up after her and help out.

It truly is so painful to watch a beloved parent do this.

Hope you read the stickies at the top and educate yourself on this and about your options and help for you.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mee

well she continued drinking until Tuesday, she had a panic attack because she felt really ill and faint and couldn't stop shaking.
so she went to the doctor.
got blood tests, 4 days worth of sedatives and has a psychiatrist appointment coming up.

It's really annoying! After 2 days of not drinking she freaks out because I didn't put a cup away! for months I was the only one to clean the house because she's drunk all the time.
I know it's not even about the cup.
I've told her there is no way she is that upset over a cup and to stop taking her anger out on me. I also said she should work on getting better and calm down.

it helps to have a sentence to repeat every time she freaks out. it probably won't make her look at herself though. But it does seem to diffuse the situation.

Its like she tries to find any reason to get upset and angry.

I've no sympathy for her what so ever, it's all gone. she is a nasty selfish person and she's never going to change. but she makes herself unhappy so I guess Karma is doing it's job.

there are times we do get on, there are a few times when I may actually enjoy her company.

my mother has always been weird. i do think she has some kind of personality disorder!!