Notices

What is the actual meaning of mindfulness?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the actual meaning of mindfulness?

Possibly, the biggest thing that comes up in my therapy is the practice of mindfulness. However, my counselor never really defined it specifically, and I can't really find a solid and clear definition anywhere.

So what is it?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here is one description of it, I would also encourage you to ask your therapist. If he/she is trying to teach something and you aren't totally understanding it, don't be afraid to speak up!

Mindfulness

To put it simply, mindfulness is about what we pay attention to, and getting more control over where our awareness goes. Most of the time, and particularly when we are agitated, our awareness goes all over the place and becomes identified with thoughts that create a lot of suffering. Mindfulness practices teach us to focus on something other than our thoughts. It takes us out of “problem solving” mode towards “awareness of being alive” mode, which usually allows our emotions to calm down.

Mindfulness can focus on the breathing, other body sensations, music, the colors to be seen in the room or a picture, sounds in the environment, a repetitive soothing word, or one of many other alternatives to stress producing thoughts. The DBT practice of “describing” what is experienced (as in “now I’m aware of reading these words”, “now I’m aware of sounds in the room”, etc) gives the thinking mind a job to do, and may reduce the arising of more distracting thoughts.

In the beginning, mindfulness practice usually needs the support of a therapist or group, in order to encourage the client to keep bringing attention back to the chosen focus after it wanders off. DBT clients are urged to be “nonjudgmental” about what arises in mindfulness practice, and particularly about their perceived progress in doing it. Focusing on “one thing at a time” deepens the energy of awareness, producing a relaxation response and more emotional clarity. Clients are encouraged to remain focused on what “works” in mindfulness and interpersonal situations, rather than on concepts and “shoulds”.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

being fully in the moment...

Mindfulness is a huge part of my mental health plan.

For me buddhism explains it best..though a bit wordy lol.....
Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being aware of our surroundings and how we react to them physically, mentally and emotionally. To be "mindful" of your actions, beliefs, judgments, etc. It can mean different things to others but it's more so tapping into your inner self really taking a look at yourself.

Hope this helps.