Notices

Anxiety causing insomnia

Old 08-08-2010, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety causing insomnia

I have had some strange kind of anxiety over something that I don't know of for the last few weeks. Since wednesday, however, I have gotten a maximum of about 14 hours of sleep (maybe slightly more or less). It has taken up to three hours to fall asleep and then I only sleep for about three or four hours. I wake up exhausted but can't go back to sleep.

Whenever I wake up after those few hours, I feel nauseous and sometimes my heart races. Also, during the daytime, I feel on edge, like I'm being followed. I took a walk tonight and one of our new neighbors went to the side of the road to make a phone call (low reception in the garage or something). I got really freaked out, feeling like he would try to chase me, and I got home really fast, locked the doors, and made sure my gun was still in my room.

Yesterday in the morning, I was so nervous that I actually threw up. I was in walmart (shopping for a tv with my mother) and had to charge to the bathroom to vomit.

I am leaving for college soon and I feel like my world is crashing down with this anxiety, relapses (though not from my DoC), and incredible urges to smoke again to calm down. I'm so freaked out and I don't even know what to do!

It's 2:00 AM and I'm not even slightly tired.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I usually have no problems falling asleep but I take meds for sleep.

In my opinion you should get yourself checked out by a doctor.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

TV,

It is not uncommon for anxiety to resurface during major life changes (i.e. going off to college). Going to college is a very exciting time, but it can also be nerve-wracking, especially if you are prone to anxiety. I started having panic attacks in graduate school, even though at the time I very much wanted to be there. Perhaps you are anxious about this big life change and it is manifesting itself in the ways you are describing. If you are already not sleeping, in my own experience a lack of sleep can make anxiety feel worse.
What has helped me sleep: yoga / meditation, reading before bed, and vigorous exercise early in the day (on the days I ride my bike for an hour or more, I sleep the entire night).
Do you have someone you can talk to? A counselor, therapist, or doctor?
Wishing you good thoughts....
Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello,

I haven't spoken to my doctor because I've actually felt a lot better in the last few days. I talked to my grandparents about it, which alone lifted a weight off my chest. I also avoided things that triggered fear or anguish, such as thinking of traumatic memories of my past, worrying about my mother and sister needlessly, and watching scary movies. I love horror movies but I felt it to be best that I lay off them for a while.

As for college, that could well be the case- but I wouldn't know, because consciously I don't even think much about it.

Thanks