Notices

New DX is bipolar 1, mixed, severe

Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New DX is bipolar 1, mixed, severe

I had been in treatment with the same psychiatrist for several years in Florida and I was on a very high dose long term of sedatives.
After moving, I kicked those and am at a new clinic.
I haven't been able to stabilize. My meds get changed every month!
Nevertheless, I am totally free of depression for the first time in far too long, I didn't even realize I was still depressed until some of the symptoms cleared up.
But now I am dealing with the not being able to sleep and it has been just wrecking me.
But I still feel a deeper sense of hope and happiness, however some of the things that have occurred with the surfacing of this new diagnosis and my behaviors are scary and need to be understood and resolved.

I would be interested in hearing from others with similar diagnosis.

thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I was dxed this two ;years ago and I know that noet eating and sleeping right really make it bad...I hope you find some relief soon
Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Same dx...

I've been having a rough time of it lately...the last two months. I take something for sleep.
I also hope you feel better soon...trying to eat right and get enough rest ought to help.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

eating and sleep...such basic commonplace things...and they are such a nightmare with me!
What has helped you get these regulated and stabilized?
Since I dropped the benzos my sleep is wrecked and nothing seems to help!
I feel like I am a tilt-a-whirl!
Do not want to do the benzos, but honestly at least I functioned alot better with them!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

I take an anti dep, a stabilyzer and a non narcotic for sleep. There are options, check with your doctor and im sure he will help you.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG! I see the DR(s) at the clinic every month...every month the meds get changed and nothing is working, it just gets worse and worse!
Right now I am on Effexor, Depakote, Neurontin and Remeron.
I had a bad scene with Seroquel last month! no more ant-psychotics for me!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have never been such a mess ever! I see the Dr tomorrow...something has to give.
I would not put up with someone who has been acting the way I have! It is like sub-human level functioning.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Saying a prayer that you get some relief and rest. It has to be tough , getting meds regulated. sending good healing wishes your way today.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Does Dx mean diagnosis? lol

I'm diagnosed bipolar type 1...I rapid or ultra rapid cycle for the most part, but I can't comment on meds - I don't take meds.

I posted on here about insomnia during early sobriety, but figure (almost two years on) it ain't wds anymore, heh -_-'.

I've also posted about my own coming to terms with 'the bipolar label' etc, if ya' wanna' read any of it. I still find it hard -to accept and often live with, but -like you- I feel hope and happiness too. *smile
Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes, dx means diagnosis. I will read your posts, thank you. I am concerned that you do not get treatment, that is considered a suicide risk!?!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
OMG! I see the DR(s) at the clinic every month...every month the meds get changed and nothing is working, it just gets worse and worse!
Right now I am on Effexor, Depakote, Neurontin and Remeron.
I had a bad scene with Seroquel last month! no more ant-psychotics for me!
I know what a mess it was finding an antidepressant that worked for me early on. I felt like a human guinea pig!

I can't take the Depakote, Neurontin, and Remeron all together. I was nodding off trying to work on my college classes!

The Remeron is what I take about an hour before bed that allows me to fall asleep.

We discontinued the Depakote so I wasn't in a stupor all day.

I am not bipolar, but my sponsor was diagnosed around 5 years sober. He was on lithium for many years, but his doctor had told him as he became healthier emotionally through an active 12 step program, he might eventually not need the meds for the bipolar.

I think it's been over 10 years now since he's been med-free.

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. I don't know how they can find a winning combo for you if there are so many frequent med switches!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hugs and prayers coming your way Live))))))
Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Originally Posted by Live View Post
yes, dx means diagnosis. I will read your posts, thank you. I am concerned that you do not get treatment, that is considered a suicide risk!?!

Cheers for the concern. I don't take meds, no. I'm currently waiting to be seen for some therapy, but depends if I can afford it when it happens.

I'm not saying I'd never take meds, but unless I was held down and forced, right now I don't feel I know enough to commit to any medications. I've heard a lot of conflicting things about sodium valporate and lithium (the two choices I've been given). Of the last two doctors I was sent too one told me I was 'likely to commit suicide without lithium' and the other told me 'don't take lithium; it'll destroy your kidneys and leave you empty'. So, until I do some real, unbaised research, I've made this choice and live with the consequences. Those around me who know I'm bipolar know why I've chosen what I have and respect that.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

so, we dropped the depakote and added lamictal...I start that tomorrow.
I had a pretty normal day today and I am grateful for that.
I managed to sleep last night and ate somewhat better the last two days.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Live ((Big Hugs))
I have a terrible time sleeping as well...I'm bipolar and taking lithium (weight gain.uggg) and serqueol at night to help me sleep, i don't like taking them though because I wake up feeling hungover, even on 1/2 a pill...I see my doc next month and will talk to her about both issues...how did you feel with serqueol?? I just wish I could get a good sleep..I've been sober 6months and thought it would be better by now.... and like you I haven't been eating the greatest either...definetely effects my moods..... wish I had a magic wand!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ADD on....
Anybody try Amblify?? sorry if I spelled it wrong!!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hugs all)))))

I took 5mg Abilify for a few months...then began to feel like i was jumping out of my skin..heart palpitations...that was discontinued. I currently am taking 1000 mg. Depakote and 50 mg. Topomax nightly for the bp. Ambien 10 mg. for sleep works like charm.

However...the bp seems very unstable lately...a lot of anxiety in the afternoons.

Oh, no appetite either.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi IO Storm,
how do you find the bp drugs you are on? did u have weight gain? or anything unusual? Have you tried lithium?

HUGS!! xo
Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have gained an unimaginable amount of weight from the meds!
I finally broke down this week and bought 2 skirts and 2 tops that will fit me. I did not want to do this before, just did not want to buy clothes in those sizes and accept it.

I had a class today where we talk about the disorder and medications. I really like and appreciate it.

It is not possible for me to go unmedicated. I have tried that before.

The seroquel helped me to sleep at first..that is what I was given it for. But about the 6th week it quit working and I took extra just trying to shut down. That was a hospital trip I never want to repeat.

I was put on Abilify...it works for some people. It had me on 30 second mood swings uncontrollably. My poor sweetie actually lived with me like that for a week! It was insane.

I am kind of in a hurry because I am feeling good (normal) and I want to go out and eat a healthy salad in a decent restaurant before I get sluggishly wrapped up in the new novel I just got from the book swap at the clinic.

I slept well last night and that seems to be the strongest determining factor in how my day will go.

I learned alot today and will share some of that later.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Live, Glad to see u are doing better today! The weight gain thing really gets to me too, I've always struggled with my weight anyway, but these meds really don't help! but I know i can't be without them.. such a bummer!!!