Notices

Comfortably numb.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Comfortably numb.

This morning I awoke, 701 days sober, lying in the dark I prayed to the God of my understanding for some sense of direction and understanding of where I am now, something that's been troubling me all week. Later I cecked in on SR and as an afterthought, for my half prepared breakfast was waiting, almost as an afterthought I checked out the song,'Comfortably numb' first heard sung by Van Morrison on the soundtrack to Martin Scorcese film,'The Departed'. There was a considerable amount of information on this song first aired on Pink Floyd's 1979 album,'The Wall' plus videos of ,'The Man' performing it live in concert, I listened to it paying particular attetion to the lyrics, I think it's safe to say given its background it's a song relating to alcohol/drug abuse.

Me and Van plus the rest of the crewhad a good time for the 4min27sec it takes for the song to be sung, I played it over a couple of more times, realising that in the words I'd got what I prayed for.

In my sobriety my life is safe and sane although somewhat lacking in clarity at times, I might not have what I want but I have what I need and that's fine by me. The past is the past, the future is still to come, what matters is that I am here now, comfortably numb. Mike W.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually if you believe Roger Waters, the lyricist, it's not about drug abuse at all, altho it does apparently draw from a (medical) drug experience.

Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd Songfacts

Whether you choose to believe that or not, the lyrics certainly do speak to familiar feelings in most of us here.

D
Old 01-16-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, I was only referring to alcohol/drugs abuse on the basis that ,'Floyd' where originally identified with being a ,'psychedlic' group, and a superficial view of the movies content may have given that impression albeit , as with Michael Mann's film , HEAT it has a deeper, moral message. I had obviously no wish to give the wrong impression or to insult thosde more knowledgable than me I was just trying to put how I feel at the moment into words, something I'm obviously not good at.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay, I'm more comfortable with your response now having read the lyrycists comments, 'detachment from reality' yup, I know all about that , in a very sober sense, it is what the Buddhist's call ,' emptiness' all things are reduced to their state of being rather than what that they represent which brings about true compassion like I mentioned in my previous threads,' Returning to me' and,'My mother's voice'. All being well, I'm making,'spiritual progress'.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was just making conversation Michael
I'm simply a Floyd fan, I had no desire to cause any discomfort or offence.

have a good day
D