Why is it said that we go from suicidal to homicidal?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is it said that we go from suicidal to homicidal?

I've heard this a few times in recovery and don't understand what it is they are talking about.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by worthyoflove View Post
I've heard this a few times in recovery and don't understand what it is they are talking about.

I think yours is just a misworded cliché' that's all.

I've heard over the years that "The Steps keep us from suicide and the Traditions keep us from homicide."

I.e. the steps help us get along with ourselves and the traditions teach us to play nice with others.

a
Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The recovery process initially starts out something along the lines of: "I'm such a bad person, no one loves me, I'm a failure, I can't do anything right" These are emotions turned inwards - negative emotions turned inwards can lead to suicide.

As recovery proceeds, we end up more in a place of "You did this to me, it's your fault, you were the one who did these dastardly deeds, you you you!" This turns the emotions outwards and focuses them on one or two individuals. Negative emotions turned against an individual can lead to homicide.

So initially we think we're horrible and don't deserve to live. Then we recover a little, realize they're the ones who are awful and think that they don't deserve to live. Late stage recovery is when we don't label either ourselves or the other person(s) involved as awful, but accept everyone for who they are, warts and all (and some of those warts are pretty big!).

Based on what I know from my own experience, what I wrote above is an educated guess. Andyaddict has more knowledge of the origins of the phrase, but in general, anger directed inwards is suicidal, anger directed outwards is homicidal.