Notices

What I don't miss. . . . . . .

Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I don't miss. . . . . . .

The Sobrety Calendar tells me that, 616 days have now passed since I my sober recovery commenced, something, in my case I never expected to happen so I got to thinking about a couple of the things I don't miss,

I don't miss staring at that pool of clear, blue water seconds before the first bout of reverse parasolsis hits and I vomit into the toilet bowl!

I don't miss the fact that now when my lips move it is more than likely I am actually telling the truth.

I don't miss the fear that arose when I'm driving my car every time a police car hoves into view.

What I like is enlarging my spiritual existence, particularly when I sit still in the morning with my first cup of tea, smoke a cigarette and know where I slept last night, even if it is now on my own because now I'm learning to like me and if I like me, other people will like me to.Michael.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Congrats!

good idea because its easy to forget and convince yourself you can have just one

but yes there is lot i don't miss.....like everything!

But now i only try to remember if i get silly thoughts that maybe now after two years one drink would be OK

Last edited by StayinAlive; 10-23-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't miss it either. everytime I wank to drink I run through my list of reasons not to. getting arrested, dwindling bank account, loss of mental and physical health, watching my mother die of liver failure, my last drunk on my knees vomiting, and letting down my loved ones who want me to stop. 39 days, one at a time. thank you. best regards to all.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good post Michael!
Congratulations.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post Michael. Are you in AA?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss the hiding of alcohol and the lying to my kids about it.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Fellowship of AA

I went to AA in my country 25 years ago, quite frankly it was about as useless as the guy who took me, no communication, I persevered on and off for another 23 years, it still produced the same answer,you don't get sober sitting at AA meetings, it just doesn't work. In my case I educated myself , books, tapes, CD's especially a collection of 10, made at a,'Big Book' study, not AA over a weekend, run by Charlie.P and Joe handed to me at a meeting by a guy who has been sober 20 years or more. he still goes to a meeting everyday, but that's all he does in that respect, his sobriety came from taking the 12 suggested steps. Personally I heartily endorse,'The Doctor's Opinion', the first 164 pages and my favourite story,'The Keys Of the Kingdom'
I 'paid my dues' at AA meetings,washed up, laid chairs out, even helped one or two people but in this country they,'go through the motions' and the God of my understanding, helps those who help themselves.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is forgetting if I remembered to put a fifth in my purse before I left for work.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 43395 View Post
I went to AA in my country 25 years ago, quite frankly it was about as useless as the guy who took me, no communication, I persevered on and off for another 23 years, it still produced the same answer,you don't get sober sitting at AA meetings, it just doesn't work. In my case I educated myself , books, tapes, CD's especially a collection of 10, made at a,'Big Book' study, not AA over a weekend, run by Charlie.P and Joe handed to me at a meeting by a guy who has been sober 20 years or more. he still goes to a meeting everyday, but that's all he does in that respect, his sobriety came from taking the 12 suggested steps. Personally I heartily endorse,'The Doctor's Opinion', the first 164 pages and my favourite story,'The Keys Of the Kingdom'
I 'paid my dues' at AA meetings,washed up, laid chairs out, even helped one or two people but in this country they,'go through the motions' and the God of my understanding, helps those who help themselves.
I know what you mean, Charlie & Joe have helped me through their materials too - through people at AA.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Finding My Way

Awesome post!!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A simple truth.

A simple truth, most people see the world as they want it to be, a few see the world as it really is and still manage to live their lives in it.

The latter practise compassion, patience and tolerance.

What this has got to do with the fact that one of the things I don't miss, is finding a curved bruise on the back of my head that exactly fits the shape of my toilet seat is something I'm going to have to work on. Mike W.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I dont miss looking at my phone and realising my Dad had called while I was off my head and wondering what the hell I said to him.

Or waking up with bruises and wondering if I fell over or got into a fight while blacked out.

The walk of shame......
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Unhappy

The dreaded question I got through out the years 'from co-workers ,relatives, Bosses, the wife., the kids, & everyone in between: " have you BEEN DRINKING?"
Pounding the counter top at the neighborhood convinence store, yelling obscene word's at the top of my lungs because I missed the alcohol selling cut-off time by five minutes.
A houseful of smoke because I passed out & burned something in the oven.
The horrible acid indigestion, which for SOME reason, has disappeared.
Finding someplace to hide at work where I could sleep on the floor.
Gulping 4-5 shots of wild Turkey at 4:30 in the morning before going TO WORK to relieve the hangover from Hell.
The things I saw crawling on the floor out of the corner of my eyes.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can never miss anything but probably they may be few which i had been missed but never bothered...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't miss having to go find the junk I wanted to use,paying all that $,the broken veins on my face from drinking, the gross lungs from smoking weed, being a prisoner to it, all the whacky emotions,not getting anything done, the upset stomach,the loose morals and values, and my lost connection to HP. By the Grace of God go I. A Miracle!
Old 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Almost forgot, the UPSET STOMACH! I sure dont miss that!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't miss the shame, the shakes, the waking up in the middle of thenight and having to drink away the withdrawal. I don't miss the lying, the money spent, the being first in line when the booze store opened at 8am. I don't miss any of that crap.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
*Hooligan*

I don't miss the incomprehensible demoralization. I don't miss the constant chaos and insanity. I don't miss the cold hard floor of a jail cell. I don't miss the suicidal thoughts. I don't miss feeling alone (even when I was with a group of people). I don't miss my morning vomiting sessions just so I could keep a beer down. I don't miss the fear. I don't miss not having a place to call home or a bed to sleep in. Now the only thing I use recycling bins for is to recycle stuff.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I 'paid my dues' at AA meetings
I hope to never say that. I am very grateful to be a part of a wonderful fellowship.. lucky me. I am helping 5 people through the steps at the moment and passing on all that was gave to me. Lord it keeps me so full of love, I am learning more each day about love and a spiritual way of living.

I dont miss that phone off the hook or the fear of the "unknown"
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Hooligan*

^^^^^^
+1

Originally Posted by 43395 View Post
I 'paid my dues' at AA meetings
Perhaps you missed this part.
From the AA preamble-

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety."