Notices

Never thought I'd say this but...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never thought I'd say this but...

Thank God for my DUI. No, really. It's forced me to take a serious inventory of myself and my drinking behavior. Expensive? Ohhhh yeah. Embarrassing? You betcha. Scared the **** out of me? Yikes!

I realized that while I drink very little at home (for which I am grateful!) I drink like an alcoholic in social situations. Friends have come to me concerned. I've passed out more times than I can count. And that doesn't include the times I don't remember a thing. I have driven seriously wasted and thank GOD made it home alive. I go out and wake up the next morning filled with shame and remorse, hungover and shaking. I even turned to "hair of the dog" once...I felt so scared that I did that. I've missed work due to my drinking bouts. I've been the subject of embarrassing stories from my friends *cringe*. Clearly I've been in legal trouble due to my drinking.

So after my classes this weekend I decided my best course of action was "don't drink, period".

I looked around online for resources and stumbled across this wonderful place. I spent most of yesterday on here, reading your stories and of your courage and hope and grit.

Today is day 2 of not drinking. It was hard last night - my sister was having her usual few beers and I was tempted, but I am committed!

Your stories give me hope and faith that I can do this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sid

Don't know if you are still around racerAK, but it appears your experience in finding this site was very similar to mine. I don't drink at home, only in social settings, occasionally drinking more than I intended during those occasions. Hope you are still sticking with the "don't drink, period" concept. I have decided that would be the best course of action for myself as well.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good for you!! Keep up the good work..
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

On Sunday I thought I was gonna die. Im on this medication and I could have seizures or heart problems if I drink. But being an alcoholic this is a problem. I went to a friends house and we started drinkin, I gave no thought to what could happen. I drank alot, but I did something that I would not usually do.Someone put some meth in front of me, and I did it.Its been like 8 years since Ive done meth,never really wanted to be more awake than I already am.So i never got into it to bad.But after two days of drinking and do drugs it finally got me. It was like four in the mourning Iwoke up shakin and coverd it sweat.My whole body was shaking and I couldnt control it.My heart was beating so fast and it seemed unless i took deep breaths my heart was gonna explode. Every time I stood up I would fall. I know I should have gone to the hospital but i didnt wanna be caught. Its weird but I know I was lucky this time.And Im kinda glad this happened, I feel diffrent this was a very hard bottom.As far as my relationship goes this was the straw.But for some reason I proably dont feel as bad as I should.It's weird!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

rerun 911....like you I had a bad experience after being sober for a while, got very sick....but survived.

It seems to have given me a "moment of clairity".

maybe we won't be so lucky next time eh?

for me...I have to make sure there is no "next time"
Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

rerun, Im sorry for what you went through. I know it must be hard to relapse. That's why I dont drink. I dont think I am alcoholic but I cant drink because I cant risk losing my clean time. Every time I'd drink I end up using drugs. I had to abstain from all mood altering substances. It doesnot work for me to quit one without the other. Even now at 7 montsh clean, Im still unconsciously subsituting substances.Im binging on sweets because I was passing through a rough week. Thatn was an evident that my disease is still active. We have a disease that will always trick us to think we're fine now why dont I drink then next I find myself doing drugs waking up shaking. I try to protect my sobriety more than my life because if Im not clean and sober then i wont have a life.