Needing encouragement

Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Needing encouragement

My mom want's to come down soon. She visits occationally but not often. She's 2 hours away.
Well, she owns a weenie dog that she LOVES. Ok, that's fine. I just don't want the dog in my home for several reasons.
First, all the dog does (and I am not, I repeat not exagerating) constantly, non stop licks it's butt. I mean all dogs to that, but this one is non stop. Every time it sits or lies down, it's going to town on it's tail end. Then, it want's to get in your face.

I hate having to be subject to it. Believe me, I have been around many dogs and have never seen anything like this.
Plus the little thing does not mind at all! Mom is hollering at it all the time, which takes away any peace I have.

Well, mom is trying to manipulate me in to allowing the dog to come on her next visit. In fact, she is insisting.

I just hate this.

Any suggestions as to how I can tell her in a nice way that I prefer not to have the dog in my house?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You tell her that you don't allow anyone to bring dogs into your house. Period. If she says she won't come visit if she can't bring the dog...well? Problem solved If you really feel pushed, tell her that you have friends who come to visit you who are highly allergic to dogs, and you won't inconvenience your other friends.

Of course, that only works if you don't have dogs of your own. If you have dogs of your own, you can lie and say one of them is developing severe dog-dog aggression issues and you don't want to have little fifi get hurt. Then you're back to her saying she won't come, and problem (x2) solved.

If it were me, I'd use one of those two techniques then tell her I'd come visit her for a day. She feels like she's getting attention, but you're the one calling the shots for how long you visit and can up and leave whenever you want.

(In the past 2 weeks, I've had two people who were pushy and obnoxious "threaten" me by saying they wouldn't talk to me again. I let them not talk to me again - it saved me the hassle of finding a nicer way of telling them to begone ye evil demons of peace destruction)
Old 06-16-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Thanks Ginger. I needed that extra push to tell her she can't bring the dog.
I hate it because of the huge guilt trip I will endure, but as you say, if she threatens not to come, then it's her choice!!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am even a dog lover and that would annoy me too. Maybe he's got worms if he keeps licking his butt?

I agree with Ginger's two ideas. You don't have to explain either. Just state it like a record if she pushes.

I would never bring my dog somewhere unless she was invited.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm with Ginger, and yes, that dog has worms _bad_. I've had lots of dogs over the years and that is a sure symptom of a wormy dog. Another good reason not to let it in the house.

Mike
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sorry to hear about the dilema....is there any way mom and the infested weiner dog (perhaps anal glands that need to be expressed as well?) can stay in a hotel? If you would like to politely ask your mom not to come, well, the pet issue can be an excuse.

Hopefully all will work out for your comfort!

Hugs, HG