Family History and Life

Old 06-07-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Family History and Life

I noticed a lot of helpful information on this blog. My story however is about growing up in a volatile alcoholic environment. My bf tho did not grow up that way, but lost his father at a young age which was not as a result of alcohol. He has been drinking at least 30 years. Divorced 4 years ago and has dated numerous times but none stick. It was clear to me he was addicted because he would order 2 drinks then I hadn't begun to finish my drink and he would order 2 more. He drank them all in short notice. He also began displaying this argumentative attitude, manipulations, laziness, lieing, cheating. He has devolved into someone I really feel is "not there." He is intelligent, charming, but he destroys all of that because of the behavior from his drinking. He is functioning, but God knows how. He has the hand flapping, shakes, sweating, etc. He LOVES his MILLER TIME. I really don't believe a love/relationship is possible with an alcoholic. They belong in a place where they can be cared for. I'm sorry but I am angry and fed up. Nice people in this case, finish last.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, livingthelife, and welcome to our little corner of recovery

I'm sorry to hear that your b/f is suffering from this awful disease. It's just awful to watch people do that, especially if we love them. We have another great forum right "next door" that deals with relationships and alcoholism. Check it out and see what you think of it:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome again.

Mike