Notices

Homeless Guy With Laptop

Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Comforting the Disturbed

Unhappy Homeless Guy With Laptop

One day I woke up and found myself unemployed, homeless, alienated from my family and friends; with a self-constructed wall between myself and the rest of humanity and between myself and my Higher Power.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Most all of us can relate to this situation to some degree.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing this after 13+ years of continuous sobriety - and not for the first time. Several times over the span of my recovery I've put myself in a similar position. Perhaps not as seriously as I have now, but I've lost everything (read, thrown everything away) more than a few times in the last 13+ years.

I have no one to blame but myself. Asking for help is the hardest thing for me to do. I'd rather save face than save my ass. That's the recurring problem.

Anyway, as I sit here in the park on this beautiful Thursday morning, mooching off a nearby coffee shop's wireless internet, I'm grateful to have my health, and be willing enough to share, if not with those in recovery nearby who know me, then with you good folks at Sober Recovery Forums, which I just discovered yesterday.

Pray for me to get my head out of my ass, would you?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Wow! That is a powerful message.
So, what are you going to do differently this time?
Are you in recovery or just sober?
It is great to have you here by the way. I imagine you have a LOT to give!
Welcome!!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great to have you here. I see homeless people all the time in my area and I can't help to think what there story is. Unfortunatley I do not have a miracle answer for you. I think that is something you are definitly going to have to figure out yourself. I can't help to think that if I was in your situation...that would really be rock bottom for me. Not trying to make you feel bad but I can't help to wonder why it isn't for you? Beyond that...I wish you the best and will for sure pray for you!! Good luck and welcome to SR!!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hello klowny,im charmian and im a recovering alcoholic.i had many bottoms in my life and none of them stopped me.my defining moment was accepting i was powerless and letting go and letting God.you mention your higher power,,you need to start trusting Him more,,,also,i know you are in a difficult position but what do you do for others??? a smile is free,a kind word is free,also helping an elderly person across the street (cliched i know! lol),,but do you see what i am getting at?,i dont know all your story,and someone else mentioned about being in recovery?? are you in recovery or just staying sober with the plug in the jug? you sound like you still have your spirit about you,so start praying! i think you may find that if you start devoting time to helping others then you will be able to help yourself more,,this is just my two penny worth and like i said i havnt heard all your story,but i look forward to hearing more!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
djharg

Talking djharg

Hi there! I have lived rough myself in the past through my own actions.
I hope you can keep well and hopefully find some accomodation or job or whatever your looking for!

All The Best dj

Originally Posted by Klowny View Post
One day I woke up and found myself unemployed, homeless, alienated from my family and friends; with a self-constructed wall between myself and the rest of humanity and between myself and my Higher Power.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Most all of us can relate to this situation to some degree.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing this after 13+ years of continuous sobriety - and not for the first time. Several times over the span of my recovery I've put myself in a similar position. Perhaps not as seriously as I have now, but I've lost everything (read, thrown everything away) more than a few times in the last 13+ years.

I have no one to blame but myself. Asking for help is the hardest thing for me to do. I'd rather save face than save my ass. That's the recurring problem.

Anyway, as I sit here in the park on this beautiful Thursday morning, mooching off a nearby coffee shop's wireless internet, I'm grateful to have my health, and be willing enough to share, if not with those in recovery nearby who know me, then with you good folks at Sober Recovery Forums, which I just discovered yesterday.

Pray for me to get my head out of my ass, would you?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SEnding prayers your way.

J