Notices

Realizing that I have a problem!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realizing that I have a problem!

So here we go I never thought I would be in this situation or on this site for any reason. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have been taking around 10-12 shots a day for the past 2 years. I started drinking bc my fiancee at the time cheated on me. I thought that after I "got over it" that everything would go back to normal, not the case. I've built up such a tolerance now that I'm spending around 15-20 bucks a day on liquor. There have been many times when I talk to someone on the phone at night and the next day they want to reflect on our convo. I won't even remember talking to them. When they say "what are you talking about" I look at my call log real quick and then act as if I was just playing around. I've made appointments while drunk just to look like an idiot when they call the day before to confirm and I totally don't know what there talking about. My friends and family think I drink occasionally but thats it they have no idea. I can hide the effects pretty well.

During my shifts at my former job (Costco) I would consume around ten shots in one shift. The rare occasions that I wasn't drinking they would think I was in a bad mood because all of the other days I was bolder, funnier and happier. I have gotten into many arguements with my family, my mother will talk to me the next day and ask me "What did you mean when you said so and so"? I'll have to make something up and she'll reply "Your not acting yourself, Is everything okay"? I'll want to tell her but feel as I can't. I have the shakes pretty bad throughout the day. Last week I was trying to fill out a credit application at a mattress store and couldn't finish doing it. I had to have the manager do it for me, I told him I had a wrist condition. I don't want to have to lie to the world and myself anymore! I've been chatting here today on the chat room for about 3 hours just meeting people, hearing inspirational stories and getting wonderful advice. I left the chat feeling very inspired! For the first time I'm really realizing that I have a problem and I now feel ready to start addressing it. Sober days here I come!
Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR.
As you have found out there is plenty of support here in chat and on the boards.
Good luck on your journey.
I don't know if you have seen a doctor about detoxing but it may be a good idea.