Notices

Where I was:

Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where I was:

I was spinning round faster and faster in the whirlpool of alcoholism and was about to get pulled under - and hit bottom.
This was the summer of 2007 and my drinking had reached the chronic level: everyday/all day drinking combined with binging, frequent blackouts, etc.
I was desperate for something.

I spent hours here the first time I visited. I searched through all the threads and was particularly struck by "my story". And someone at that time had posted a series of excerpts from a book about how alcohol affects the brain.

I was incredibly relieved that I had finally found a resource and relieved to see I wasn't alone. I was inspired by all the people reporting their struggles to quit, or thier struggles to stay sober or share the encouraging stories of their successful sobriety.

Inspired by SR I quit drinking, and made it for 14 days. Doesn't sound like much, but for a person who had been drinking every day for over 20 years, and at least several times a week for 10 years before that, it was a small miracle.

I wasn't quit ready though. I would drink for another year and during that year I hit bottom. I drifted away from SR of course. No need to go into war stories but I never imagined my drinking would get that bad, but it did. After a visit to the ER for alcohol poisoning I STILL kept on drinking. But, it was finally happening, I WAS really getting sick and tired of sick and tired.

The wise words of people here showed me how to start: make a plan. Try AA. See a doctor. See a therapist. I did it all. I'm really grateful for the advice and the useful words of people here.
A lot of times they weren't responding to me or my own posts, but to other people.
But, I share so many similar qualities with other alcoholics here, the advice may as well have been directed right at me!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing part of your victory journey with us

Forward we go...side by side
Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

I was coming out of a really dark place in my recovery
ok maybe I was only peeking out
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Man. I come back to sr after a while and all I see is people saying thank you and peeps who've achieved so effing much...so good to log on here over my last cuppa' tea of the evening and hear you people. 'Can add that to my list list of things to be thankful for.

Congrats' to you littlefish and congrats to y'all...and thanks to y'all too.

Tsu