Notices

When we retire at night... On awakening...

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When we retire at night... On awakening...

... and throughout the day...

I love this step. If I had to be stuck on a step the whole year, this would be the one.

Sometimes, I do something with vigor, but it eventually loses its salt. Then stop doing it. The 11th Step gives me permission to go out and try some stuff!

Read a good book like Castaneda or Tolle or Deepak Chopra or Fox or Todd Michael or the Big Big Book or Jung, or etc.

We do other things like Centering Prayer or Buddha Meditation or Yoga or Mentations or... I once went to a 75-rock sweat with a Lakota Medicine Man... I thought I was gonna die! When I didn't, I thought it was wonderful and that I should do it again! Maybe someday...

But even the Christians of the last 2000 years have found different ways to worship. Worship, as Rick Warren (author of The Purpose Driven Life) points out, can be brought down to the otherwise mundane and rote processes of life. Bring God in, wherever you are. Do things for and with God. Why not? Why wait till morning or when we retire at night to fellowship with God? God wants to be our friend! Imagine that? For some it might be singing, dancing, cooking, knitting, doing volunteer work, working with others, yes-12th step work, etc. Just get outta yer head!

We get to practice this stuff. I'll tell you this; if you've tried this stuff you should know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, give it a try and find something that clicks with you and gets you out of your head and into the world.

Is this a sufficient substitute to booze? Heck ya!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I pray I am talking things over with HP, it is an actual conversation
that goes on in my mind. Many people have told me that is how it works for them.
Most of the time I pray spontaneously.

I believe words are irrelevant to prayer; they are merely the intellectual channel
through which spiritual communion is transmitted. I believe HP answers my
soul's attitude, not my words.

I try to always pray for values and principals to be instilled. Instead of things
I pray for growth, rather than gratification, even though my ego craves gratification.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my early years of recovery, I always prayed, on my way to an AA mtg, for a revelation. And I always got at least one. If I did not, I would wait outside the AA mtg until I found it.

Later, I learnt how to do Step 11 anywhere at anytime, day or night, by simply being honest with myself. Find my fears and the courage to face them.

Now, as an added bonus, Step 11 always becomes clear whenever I love the Love (HP) that loves me.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry, double post