Notices

Where I was VS. Where I am!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
..discover it.

Where I was VS. Where I am!

I found SR because my A-friend told me if I wanted to help him, I should get educated about alcoholism by reading The Big Book. So I figured one resource that I had handy was the internet. This is where I was introduced to this forum which has saved my life. I started reading through the forum and saw a place for friends and family of alcoholics... I was SO thrilled to see a place where I could speak with others in my boat.

See, I was in a sad place filled with confusion, hurt, and little knowledge. I had no idea that Al-Anon existed, or anything about alcoholism for that matter! I was literally about to make the biggest, WRONGEST, decision of my life (dating/moving in with an alcoholic) - Had I not found this place at the exact time I did, and read through posts, I would have decided to jump into a relationship that I might not have been able to get out of. Last night/ this morning, I decided fully that I will not be choosing to date him. I will simply be his friend. I can see how my future might be if I took the step toward being with him: I would lose myself, and become like his momma/slave/free ride/dog/you name it. Right now is the most peaceful I have been in 1 year, because I finally made this decision. Not only because I made this decision, but because it is the right one!

I thank everyone who has had a part in keeping this forum together. You will never know how many lives you impact each day!

Sincerely, thank you!
:ghug2