my mom is killing me with her addiction

Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy my mom is killing me with her addiction

Well my mom is 35 right[im 16] now and I just moved in with her in May. We kinda have a love and hate relationship. She has been on drugs as long as I can remember. She left us alot when I was young with my dad to take care of us[she left him 2]. For her drugs and her friends. Now that i live with her things havent really changed much. See My mom has been on stuff for like half of her life and still on it. When I was little I really didnt understand much at all.

Like alchol , needle,speed,acid,herion,OC's. You name it she has tried it. These day its anti depressants,alchol,kolnopins. She thinks she always need sinus pills,goody powders,tylonel. She takes them like candy,I always tell her she doesnt need them but she gets mad and say " my back is hurting or I have a cold,my head hurts".She's always makeing excuses to go to the doctor to get some pain meds. She thinks she is better now that she doesnt do the needle drugs. Recently she has found out that she has Hep.C. But yet she still drinks and take pills. She tells me that the doctar gives then 2 her but, she abuses then she will have like 40 and run out in a day or 2. Then she searches for a different doctor to get some more. Recently I found her over dosed on top of my fan. She was drooling from hre mouth and cursing me when i tried 2 help her up. To go 2 the bathroom. That was the night she recently camefrom rehab and the doctors told me and my uncle that she has been seeing four doctors. They knew by the presriptions that she had.

Well that has been like a month or 2 now and she hasnt got any better. She does havea job ay Mickey D's. But its only been a few days first job she has had in years. Before she started it she got really messed up on kolnipns. When I confrontedher about it she would get mad at throw things saying"im not messed up I try and Im not if i get accused of it I might as well do it."

I really dont know waht to do. She has been in and out of rehab clincs and jail but they seem not to have an effect on her. When she got out of rehab this last time she went to like 1 or 2 AA meetings then the next week she got messed up . I told hwer what was the use of those metings when u know ur not going 2 try.

When she got messed up about a week ago. On somas, she wanted to go job hunting. It was raingin outside my aunt was on the couch my mom walked up to her and asked her if she could borrow a "Rainbow!"....we were like What..she said..you know..a rainbow!

Everyone just looked at her my cousin said do u mean a unbrella Tammy? She goes yea yea. She embrasses me all the time to the point that I dont want to go out in public with her.

I cant take it she makes me crazy sum times! I have to watch her like a child like when she falls asleep with a cig in her mouth. When she gets drunk and tries to cook. It makes me want to move in with my dad, I dont want to because his new wife. WE dont get along!

If any1 caould give me advice or anything please do.

thank you
-Courtney
Old 12-22-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im sure its hard being so young and not having your mom to be there for you! I hope you can find someone you can trust to help YOU focus on yourself...and maybe a guidance counceller at school can tell you what options you have to help your mom. Sorry i dont know what else to tell you! Just hang in there!!!Learn from her mistakes..make better decisions for your own life.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Courtney,
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Your mom seems like a classic alcoholic/addict type, and you think you're stuck with being HER mom. You can't make her better, you know? She'd have to choose to clean up her act, start going to AA/NA, work a program of recovery, etc., and YOU CAN'T MAKE HER WANT THAT. A lot of the time, addicts have to seriously hit bottom before they get a wake-up call: get thrown in jail, crash their car, land in the hospital, something.

Given the choice between being your mom's mom, and having her burn down the house some night with you in it, OR living with someone you dont' get along with and maybe having to adjust some of your behaviors for a couple years 'til you can move out on your own........I would choose getting along, myself. I had to deal with my stepmom (alcoholic, self-centered, narcissistic) until I was 17, and then I found a good enough job that let me share a house with someone else so I could escape. I finally had my own room & bathroom, my own life, no drug chaos, no embarrassment. It's the only way I kept from going nuts.

There's no reason you should have to take on this responsibility. Your mom's a grownup, and you shouldn't be in this situation at all.

Though it sounds cliche, it MIGHT be worth talking to some kind of mental health person at school just to see what they say. Maybe they have some ideas. You never know.

Take care of yourself, okay?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Courtney,
I'm also really sorry to hear about all you're going through with your mother. It's not your fault that she is making bad choices and not meeting her responsibilities to you as her mother. She owes you better than this and you deserve to enjoy being young and not be burdened with worry over your mother.

Like GiveLove said above me, I wonder if it might be a better place for you to live with your dad even if you don't get along with his wife very well? How bad is that relationship? Is it something the two of you could work on with your dad's help or through family counselling? Maybe this could work out to be a better option.

Likewise, are there other people in your family you could stay with for awhile? You mentioned having an aunt.... My niece lives with me because her mother has a bad drug problem, and maybe that's an option for you too? Any other family members who you could turn to for help? Or even to ask advice from?

You have a lot to deal with and you are still very young to have so much to cope with. You sound very mature and responsible, but you shouldn't have to deal with all of this. I hope you have some responsible adults in your life that you can turn to for help. If not, please come back here and post some more. Let us help you brainstorm for some ideas!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

Courtney,
As much as you may want your mom to get better, everyone here is right. Only your mom can make the decision to get better. The old saying 'you can lead a horse to water....." is sadly all too true for addicts/alcoholics.
This does not mean you have to stop loving her or caring about her. It hurts you to see her make a fool of herself and you can hope that she will make the decision to get better, but even if you tell her this, she won't change until she wants to.
You can't let her insanity become your insanity.
You have to say 'my life is my life' and your mom's life is her life. You can make changes in your life to make your life better, but you mom is the only one who can make her life better. It is really strange but sometimes if you try to help an addict it only makes the addiction worse (its called 'enabling') because it makes them feel guilty, angry, or something else besides thankful.

If there is an Alateen group in your area, go to a meeting (you can find it on the internet). And talk to a teacher, minister at a church, or another adult who you trust. Even some of the toughest teachers will do a lot for a kid that asks for help (honest!) but you have to ask them for help first.
Take care of yourself.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

Courtney,
We all agree this is a tough spot you are in. You are certainly taking the right steps by reaching out and talking about it. This is also a great place to do just that. The people on here are caring and sincere from what I have seen. I of course agree with the others when I tall you that is will be helpful to speak with Alateen groups and/or adults and teachers you may trust for the what the best next steps for you will be in your situation and in your area. The tough part is the fact that this is your Mom you are dealing with but look at this way, although you are not responsible for her actions nor her recovery, you do not have to have your life turned upside down because of her actions. You can and will still be a loving daughter if you choose to leave the environment and be healthy yourself. I pray that she seeks the help she needs with AA/NA or both, and work with others that share her disease. You are a brave strong girl to even say all this out loud even here Courtney, take it a little further and ask for some help from a responsible adult you can trust and keep posting back here we will always do what we can to talk with you and offer the advice we have either been given or gave ourselves.

JT
Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Courtney,
I am so sorry you are in this miserable predicament. I had an alcoholic mom too. I was starving for someone to love and care for me, most of my life. I have been fortunet enough, to have met many good people, who helped me deal with my pain, anger, confusion, fear, grief...ect.

They were not my "family" but each person, who showed me kindness and compassion, who treated me with dignity and respect, became a part of my history. A legacy for me to draw strength from, as I learned to love, and care for myself, and make some sense of my life, untangling my future, from my chaotic past.

I can hear the pain, desperation, frustration and confusion in your post.

I would like to offer my support, and I hope that you will come here, and let us share in finding a solution to your most immediate problem.
This a very caring community, you will be safe and loved here.

I was thinking that it might be a good idea if you could get a few sessions of family counseling with your Dad?

(Just you & Dad, for now).

Maybe the three of you (You , Dad and a good therapist...). could arrive at a better solution for you. Sometimes it helps to have a neutral third party look at the situation, and help you get what you need.

Please keep us posted, as we really do understand what your going through, and care about you.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have nothing further to add than what people have already said, but sometimes it's good to hear the support and encouragement repeated. So - I agree with everyone else here. I'm very sorry you find yourself in this situation. I recommend AlaTeen or AlAnon if you can find it for your own sanity's sake. If not that, do you have any other relative (particularly one who knows what's going on) who you think you could live with? Any friends who would take you in?

It's possible that your mom will never clean up her act. As sad as that is, it is the naked truth.

I sincerely hope you can find someone else to stay with until you turn 18. If you wanted to, you could also go to court to have yourself declared and emancipated adult, although that means you will have to support yourself entirely.

I wish you as much luck as the world can offer you, the strength to ride this out, and the wisdom to not walk down the same paths that your mom has when you get older.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for responding. I...never have done this befor I just posted this yesterday it's my first time speaking openly about this. I live with my aunt and uncle my mom didnt have anyplace to go,nobody wanted her around. So they let her come to live with them, as well they dont want her to drink and do drugs but she would sneek them in anyway. Like last night her and her boyfriend was here in the diningroom. He borrowed money off my uncle my mom siad it was for cigs. But, when her boyfriend went to the storehe tried to come in the back door. But we figured he bought beer instead. I heard my uncle fussin at her and I asked her did she use that money to buy beer and she told me no. So I decided to go out back on the patio and there set a 6 pack of natural ice[beer]. So I took it and showed my uncle. nobody was suprised she lies about everything. He just took the can and sit ti in front of her. A few minutes later i went down stairs to get my clothes out of the dryer and she gave me hateful looks. then she said something about my cousin wants her to go to her house. Then I said tonight? She goes "I was atlking to Gary!"[the boyfriend] Then I siad your mad....why?[i knew] She goes did u find thid. Holding the can infront of my face and I said yea I did. Then she is leaving in 2 weeks and she expects me to go live her and her boyfriend. I dont want to I want to stay with my uncle and ant. I cant wait till' she leaves. I love her but i dont want to put up with her stuff. All I would be is a babysitter anyways.

So today she had to go to work and she called in sick because she had a hangover! She told them that she had a headache...im not suprised! Hungover because she had drank wine before sneaking in the beer! We cant wait til shes gone!!! my uncle only tolerates her because it is his sister..and he didnt want her living on the streets. THEY are tired of rescuing her! She met her boyfriend at the doctors office.They both chase pills. Shes disappointed me and my sisters[15,12] and my brother[7] all our life.

She left us with my dad to raise us [She left when i was in third grade now im a sophmore]. While my dad was at work I was the mom i had to cook,clean,do laundry,give my brother baths,get him off to pre-school. But I was the only one he could depend on to be there for him. Me and my dad use to be close. But now he was a new wife im happy he has found somebody to take care of him and my little brother and sisters.. But its torn us apart. She doesnt like me we dont get along at all. From the very begging she treated me differetn from everbody else. I remember when I came home from the summer[from my moms family] and dad already moved her in. We was all sitting in the dining room eating dinner me and my sisters where all goofing off laughing ect. Then she spoke in a tone voice"I dont know why everybody has to loose there manners since Courtney came home" that just ran all over me she would make smart remarks about stuff to me. I always tried to be nice to her most of the time when she would talk to me like that I would just sit there. Now my dad always picks her over me so thats why I moved in with my ant and uncle. My dad doesnt even call me or notin I have to call him. One time I did he told me he had to get off because of Tonya[his wife].

I have so many emotions to deal with. Espcially with my dad now rejecting me. Maybe after my mom moves out things will get better.
Thanks again for responding to me it really means alot.

-Courtney
Old 12-26-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Courtney,

Really sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, what you say or do is not going to make your mother stop using. She'll quit if she is ready.

Do you have a school counselor or someone you can talk to? Also, I know many here have said this, but look up Alateen on the internet.

I hope you take care of yourself first. That is most important. Take care of you.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The thing that helped me when I was 16 and living with my addict mother was planning my escape. I started making plans for what I was going to do after I turned 18: college, army, job and apartment, whatever. It was fun to look to the future. It helped me to know that I didn't have to live with her for the rest of my life. I could get through another 24 months because I knew it wasn't forever.

You'll still have to deal with your mother when you get out, but moving out to your own place will give you a refuge.

Moving into a college dorm room made me feel safe for the first time in my life.
It was an immediate improvement in my life. I had a lot of work to do from there, including getting sober myself, but moving out and getting away from the addicts and alcoholics in my family was the first step on the journey to being healthy.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Courtney, I am so sorry to hear you are going through all this! Your story reminds me a lot of mine - my mom was an alcoholic so I got to be "mom" to her, my three siblings and take care of my dad. The best advice I have for you is take care of YOU! Don't lose focus on yourself. Stayed committed to your education and to your future. You can't fix your mom, just learn to love her from a distance. And as far as your dad, I would try and talk with him. It sounds like your stepmom feels threatened by you. I think a lot of women are intimidated by a 16 year old that can run a household! I felt the burrnt of that many times myself. Trying talking openly and honestly with your dad. It may work, but if not, find other people that are helpful and a healthy part of your life and work on your relationship with them. We are currently raising my husband's nephew and I promise you I love him just as much as I love my biological children! Your aunt and uncle can become your "mom and dad" and there is nothing wrong with that. Do what is heathly for you!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank u so so so much .
Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Courtney,
Wow, your story sure put a twist on things for me. I have a 17 year old son I am fighting to get in rehab, it is truly hurting my heart, I love him so much.
No one your age or any age for that fact should have to deal with this. I am so sorry for you, but listen you have made it this far don't give up now and don't follow in your mothers foot steps. When you are feeling down on yourself about all you have had to put up with, I want you to look in the mirror and see what all of us here see. You are truly a wonderfully strong young women who has had to grow up much faster then her peers. True you should not have had to deal with these issues, but you know what, because you have your going to be able to face things in to world much easier then your peers. As someone here said, start planning your future, you should be able to get a part time job to get you out of the house more and away from your mother as much as possible. Even if it is babysitting, try to get out as much as you can, then start putting your money back and saving for the day you can move......many sure to put it in the bank or your mother will find it. Please keep us posted on how your doing, I will be checking in to hear from you.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm a tough girl.

Baby don't cry, you gotta keep ya head up, even when the road is hard, never give up. - Tupac
Your story sounds all too familiar to me. I have walked in your shoes love. I want you to know that whatever your mother is doing, is no fault of yours. Addiction is a sickness. It took alot for me to understand that. Just let her know that you love her. I'm sure she already knows you do. She is heavily blinded right now.. I send hugs your way, just keep thinking about tomorrow because it's a brighter day.. <3
Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

update:: thanks again u guys...it makes me feel that im not alone.
Lately ,about 2 weeks ago my mom got her sum kolphins and took like 6o of them and mixed w/ sumin else. She was out of it. She had 2 miss work and everything.She was talking out of her mind about things happened a week ago thinkin it was the day it happened.So got angry and she was lying onm the table head first. So I decided that we was gonna play cards w/ her like that.{canasta ]So we sat down i told her it was her turn and shes like ok.....i told her that /justin was on her team and she well...what she thought was him [it was a pile of books set up with cards stuck in the pages.]..she was having a conversation with no1. She stays messed up in the middle of the month.