Notices

step six- in depth

Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

step six- in depth

for all the na veterans, can someone explain to me , the part of defects, shortcomings, action. all i know is due to my long days of active addiction, and the disease , i came out with four main defects, being, fear, selfishness, resentments and anger, this is basically it. and all is required from me to spot check and be aware of them...
then in step 7, i ask god to help me remove them, or soothe the pain......
any one out their can better shed the light, and also my sponsees, are making me go crazy, as they come back to me , from sharing other felllows with alist of 40 to 45 character defects, that they want me to spot check in their personality, this is very mind tiresome, i like the keep it simple way.
thanks a million.....
Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Someone tried to tell me that 'defects of character' were things we do that we ought not be doing and 'shortcomings' were thing that we ought to be doing that we don't do.
That is his opinion not mine. Maybe it has helped to confuse you just a bit more!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hey Bobmatic,

I always tell members that ask me questions about the steps to look to the literature. Why? Because you'll get as many different answers about what this or that means as there are members to ask. People interpret (or misinterpret) meanings differently.

i came out with four main defects, being, fear, selfishness, resentments and anger, this is basically it. and all is required from me to spot check and be aware of them...
My first question would be: Did you come up with these from your 4th or 5th step? And the reason I ask is because NA teaches us that the "exact nature" of our wrongs are our defects of character (not the wrongs themselves). And, IMO, to get to the cause of your anger or resentments (which are often the same thing - resentment is reliving past anger) may reveal the defect beneath them.

Secondly, it is suggested that we approach step 6 as if there were no step 7 - otherwise we can jump the gun by placing an expectation on ourselves or our HP. I believe it is important to remember that "becoming ENTIRELY ready" is a process and not an event. Once you have a clear understanding of what your defects of character are, you'll know whether you're ready or not.

As it says in our literature:

"The admission we made of the nature of our wrongs (in Step 5), our character defects, is neessary if we are to be ready to have them removed."

and...

"The lifelong process of the Sixth Step is just that - a process. We've started the process of becoming entirely ready, and we will strive to increase our readiness throughout our lifetime."

Did you already read this?:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-defects.html
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the literature says that fear is the root of the disease. it works how and why. just list all the spiritual principlies of the program get the opposite and its a defect. honesty---dishonesty, willingness,----- unwillingness, open mindedness---closed mindedness, humility---big ego and so forth. i hope that helps. also the literature does not say that defects and short comings are different. they are used interchangeable so that is how i look at them. a defect and a shortcoming are one and the same. if anyone has any evidence to the contrary please let me know
Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Blizzardm17, we certainly agree and the defect vs shortcoming issue. That's for sure! LOL!! And I've challenged addicts for years to show me where it says they're different and they can't (at least, not yet).

But I beg to differ on the fear thing (slightly):

"Our experience tells us that self-centered fear is at the root of our disease." - IWHW, p.40 - IMO, being "at the root" means very close, but not exactly there.

"The spiritual core of our disease is self-centeredness." - JFT, p. 34 - IMO, the "core" is more specific and designates a place from which reactions or repsponses like fear spring from.

As our literature tells us (IP#12), anger, resentment and fear are expressions of our self-obsession. Self-obsession is also used interchangeably with self-centeredness as being the core of our disease.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blizzardm17 View Post
the literature says that fear is the root of the disease. it works how and why. just list all the spiritual principlies of the program get the opposite and its a defect. honesty---dishonesty, willingness,----- unwillingness, open mindedness---closed mindedness, humility---big ego and so forth. i hope that helps. also the literature does not say that defects and short comings are different. they are used interchangeable so that is how i look at them. a defect and a shortcoming are one and the same. if anyone has any evidence to the contrary please let me know
great reply,i heard a story that Bill Wilson wanted to put defects of charter in the 7th step also ,but that it would be bad grammer to repete the same thing,so ive been told they are 1 in the same..